Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking at a Reponse on sun..need advice

Malibu newbie

I have been lookin at used boats for about 2 months now...supra's, MC, Malibu's, CC's etc. I am looking at a 95 Response on sun and not sure exactly what is critical to look for. I hear that they sometimes crack where the prop shaft exits, but is there anything else I need to pay close attention to? It has under 400 hours on it but hasn't been in the water in about 3 years, so if I do purchase it, what maintanance should I do before i hit the water besides changing fluids?

Ben

If it's been sitting for 3 yrs, definetly replace the impeller. You can pick one up for around 50-60 bucks.

Also check the floor, stringers, and transom for softness. Tap them with the butt end of a screwdriver, if there is rot..you will hear it.

Edited by Madmanacrossthewater
If it's been sitting for 3 yrs, definetly replace the impeller. You can pick one up for around 50-60 bucks.

Shocking.gif Wow, impellers are expensive in IN. Or does it use a different, more expensive impeller than new models? :unsure: Is it Mercruiser powered? Maybe they're more. Dontknow.gif

Skidim has the 812(??) for $30 if it's Indmar powered.

I would assume the battery is probably shot.

Yes.gif

EDIT: To remove erroneous information re: wood stringers.

Edited by NorCaliBu

that is good to know...I figure I will have to do reg maint. Battery, spark plugs, wires, etc. Also, it doesnt have a tower...any suggestions on which tower and where to get one for this boat?

that is good to know...I figure I will have to do reg maint. Battery, spark plugs, wires, etc. Also, it doesnt have a tower...any suggestions on which tower and where to get one for this boat?

I think many will recommend the Titan III, but there are a lot of good ones out there.

The Titan I sweet deal on that if price is an issue. The Titan II or III looks sweet, in fact here is a '98 RLX w/ the Titan II, RLX w/ a Titan I and a RLX w/ a Titan III

post-6-1233944697_thumb.jpg

post-6-1233945210_thumb.jpg

post-6-1233945221_thumb.jpg

1995 was the first year for the Response. It is all fiberglass construction.

Are you absolutely certain? I thought the 95 R had wood stringers BICBW (it certainly wouldn't be the first time) :Doh:

Yes, I'm certain. 95 Response is all glass construction. Now, that does not mean there can't be issues with the floor sagging, but it won't be from rot. I haven't heard of any stringer failures, but I have heard of the floor failing. Whistling.gif

Yes, I'm certain. 95 Response is all glass construction. Now, that does not mean there can't be issues with the floor sagging, but it won't be from rot. I haven't heard of any stringer failures, but I have heard of the floor failing.

Looks like once upon a time Malibudude said the same thing. Biggrin.gif

Does anyone know if and when Malibu stopped using wood stringers?
The started using them in the Echelon in '93, but phased in other models and completely converted over across the line in '95.

I better go use the edit function so my previous post doesn't mislead anyone. :Doh:

Well, I am picking the boat up tonight...needs some cleaning, interior is good...has a few places that are torn, but not a big deal...seats are all good. It has bad gas in it, so I need to drain the tank and change the oil etc. it has under 400 hours on it with the 265 hp motor. Sounds good...good oil pressure. Also has a tandem trialer. I was not looking for a cream puff, but didnt want a basket case either, this boat should do me great. Thanks for all the help and I will post more once the boat is in my possesion.

I forgot...I probably need to replace the shaft packing...is there a write up on it here somewhere, or should I take it to the dealer?

Edited by Malibu newbie

Before you tear into the packing, hit the water and see what it does. If it drips, tightenit up. I have a hard time seeing the packing going bad after 400 hours, BICBW. No sense fixing if it ain't broken. Same thing on plugs and wires. Clean out the gas, change the fluids, throw in a new impellear, new fuel filter and hit the water.

Sounds like you got a great boat!!! If you are thinking about wakeboarding, might give the wedge a thought if it doesn't already have one.

I better go use the edit function so my previous post doesn't mislead anyone. :Doh:

Huh. . .imagine that. Michael's back with us for barely a week and already has to admit that he doesn't know what he's talking about. Whistling.gif

:lol:

Edited to zing him more clearly.

Edited by VinRLX

well, we got it running yesterday...check ball in the fitting on top of the tank was crudded up...broke the fitting so for the time being I have a fitting in there without the check ball. Gonna change oil today and hopefully get on the water in 2 weeks...we are still working out title problems.

Huh. . .imagine that. Michael's back with us for barely a week and already has to admit that he doesn't know what he's talking about. Whistling.gif

I have no problem admitting that on occassion I am wrong (humility is part of the "new me"). Biggrin.gif Jack, by comparison, is right only occassionally, though he'll never admit that truth as he is deeply flawed with Little Man Syndrome. Yes.gif

:lol: It's like having a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Edited by NorCaliBu

Back to the tower discussion, I just got a smokin deal on a titan II for my sporty from idaho watersports via ebay. They were really great on shipping etc. Just look up titan II on ebay and it should come up. If you dont see the right sizes listed I would email them, they seem to have some stuff in stock that is not explicitly listed. ENJOY!

I have no problem admitting that on occassion I am wrong (humility is part of the "new me"). Biggrin.gif Jack, by comparison, is right only occassionally, though he'll never admit that truth as he is deeply flawed with Little Man Syndrome. Yes.gif

I will confess that the LMS is a character defect. I suppose, concomitantly, that also demonstrates a superior level of humility. ;) So you can :biteme:

Sorry for the detour gentlemen, carry on. :)

I will confess that the LMS is a character defect. I suppose, concomitantly, that also demonstrates a superior level of humility. ;) So you can :biteme:

:lol:

Nice use of the word concomitantly. Thumbup.gif Way to counteract the image of watersports enthusiasts as being rockheads brought on by morons who are unfamiliar with punctuation, grammar, capitalization, spellcheck,... Whistling.gif

Where did I put that badge? ;)

Arent they full fiberglass floors??

Absolutely no wood in the Response. Soft floor was noted, there could be a soft floor on that boat, was a somewhat common issue. The soft floor issue was a thin floor and over time it sagged down, I have seen a couple of these. Can be fixed but also Malibu offered a lifetime hull warrenty, you might want to check the status of that.

• 4 weeks later...

skylon makes the swoop tower- I have one on my 96 response and it looks great- Westlund even makes a custom boat cover to fit the response with swoop tower.