Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

power wedge add on

badluck

Why can't you put a power wedge on a bu? If you took a power wedge and a trim indicator switch and trim gage from an outboard boat you could monitor the location of it and move it on the fly. It may not be as nice as factory but it would be just as functional. Let's try it.

Just guessing here, but I'll bet any kind of retro job without the proper wiring harness would not include the safety feature that will not allow the wedge to raise with the boat sitting still. Between the wedge, platform, and human limbs, I hate to think about which would be the weakest link.

It should be easy enough to put a relay inline with the shifter. I'm not sure what to do about stopping it from lowering at high speeds.The power wedge itself might be a challenge to get or fab. A factory wedge would be best but thats not yet available.

What about putting the Wedge down while the boat is going 30? The results of that would be equally devastating.

It doesn't let you put the wedge down at that speed, one part of it's safety features built into 08' and 09 controllers

-Paul

Why can't you put a power wedge on a bu? If you took a power wedge and a trim indicator switch and trim gage from an outboard boat you could monitor the location of it and move it on the fly. It may not be as nice as factory but it would be just as functional. Let's try it.

I did it 2 seasons ago but no indicator.

It was a fun job and beats the heck out of the manual wedge my boat came with.

Edited by awilco

I did it 2 seasons ago but no indicator.

It was a fun job and beats the heck out of the manual wedge my boat came with.

Any pictures? How much in parts?

It doesn't let you put the wedge down at that speed, one part of it's safety features built into 08' and 09 controllers

-Paul

That was exactly my point; a retrofitted Wedge wouldn't necessarily have that control, which is why Malibu has to be very careful here.

No dealer is going to sell to anyone w/o doing the install as well.

Correct, the wedge is a dealer installed option only. That makes sure it gets installed properly & on Malibu's only.

-Paul

Not sure what version BU you have, but I'd say make sure you are going to use it as much as you think before going to all the trouble, risking safety, etc. I've always used weight 99% over the wedge and we had the power wedge on both a 06 Vride and our 08 VLX. Rarely used except to get a little better shape in the wake at times.

Others may use it all the time, but just wanted to throw that out there for what its worth.