Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

buying new malibu

gate9869

Thanks for the advice !! does anyone know what the difference is in top speed between the bb and the hh

The 8.1 max RPM is 5400

Max RPM for the Monsoon and the HH is 5200.

So, assuming same gearing and prop setup the 8.1 is going to have greater top speed due to ability to run at slightly higher RPM. But, if the top speed for the Monsoon was 42 MPH the top speed mathematically for the 8.1 would only be about 44 MPH due to its ability to run 200 RPM's faster than the other engines.

I have the monsoon and my top speed is limited by the MAX RPM, not because of a lack of power, although I suppose that would change if severely loaded down.

The increased torque and HP offered by the 8.1 is going to get you to top speed quicker and do a better job when weighted down due to its ability to overcome resistance and spin the prop faster in a qiucker time frame (if that makes any sense to you), thus giving it a better hole shot.

If you are really interested you can google monsoon, hammerhead or malibu 8.1 and you will find the Indmar site that descibes each setup.

Edited by Sandbagger
The 8.1 has different gearing than the HH & Monsoon. IIRC, HH & Monsoon are 1.5:1, 8.1 is 1.2:1. This is in a vdrive configuration, it's different in a direct drive.

Thanks, I did not know about the different gearing. Sounds like that would definitely effect top end, so someone else would have to chime in or do the math based on the new gear ratio.

With the stock prop and a couple of passengers my 8.1 woould rev limit at between 48 and 49 mph. Here is the GPS pic to show it. As I stated above, I changed the prop out to an OJ XMP 14.25X14.5 and my top end dropped to about 47 or 48mph at 5200rpm and I can't hit the limiter anymore which is good. Now the hole shot is amazing and it made the boat a completely different animal when loaded with people and ballast for wakesurfing.

When we surf I run, wedge down, full stock ballast (except surfing side) so about 1000lbs., 3 Prox 750's and, one Prox 650 bow sack. I am not going to say I don't feel all of the extra weight but the torque on the BB is 500 ft-lbs which is 25% more than the HH and I am sure you will notice that.

-Dave

post-3887-1233878320_thumb.jpg

With stock prop and 3 people on board, My 2008 LSV with HH will just barely hit 50 MPH. I have not checked top speed with the Acme 1235. I was told to expect a drop of 3-4 MPH. I'll bet it is more like 5-6 MPH. I am surprised the stock prop top speed with the HH and big block is so close.

Disclaimer.............I do not know how accurate the Malibu speedo is.

Edited by skyskier
With stock prop and 3 people on board, My 2008 LSV with HH will just barely hit 50 MPH. I have not checked top speed with the Acme 1235. I was told to expect a drop of 3-4 MPH. I'll bet it is more like 5-6 MPH. I am surprised the stock prop top speed with the HH and big block is so close.

Mine is dead on with the GPS.

If you are pulling pro riders who really need full ballast and wedge even though there are 12 people in the boat, then I say by all means get the big block. Most riders are more than satified (intimidated) by the LSV wake with factory ballast, wedge, and 4-5 people in the boat. My 2004 and 2008 LSV's were set up with HH engine and the Acme 1235. That combo is more than enough. In fact, the 2008 factory wake is all most riders will ever be able to handle.

One time I loaded my 2004 with factory ballast, extra 1200 lbs of concrete in the rear lockers, 13 people, and full wedge. I was pulling a pro rider that day and it was the only time I ever felt like I needed more power. If that is how you plan to use your boat on a regular basis, I vote for the big block.

I'll Plus1.gif that

HH is plenty enough for us. The only thing I would suggest if you feel you need more power is to adjust your wedge after you plane. Kinda like the autowedge.

Doubtful it is accurate, mine was off by 5mph. Use A GPS device to calibrate it.

I did use GPS to check my speedo at 20, 23.2, and 24 MPH because those are the riding speeds for my regular crew. The Malibu speedo was dead on. I did not think to GPS top speed. In my younger days I would have checked that first!

Roger that, I recall checking mine with the GPS and w/in 1 mph as they both fluctuated up and down past each other slightly.

when you guys use GPS to check speeds what exactly are you using?

I think our's reads atleast 2mph faster than actual. Do you just buy some type of gps device and it displays how fast it is moving? How much are they and where can you pick one up?

when you guys use GPS to check speeds what exactly are you using?

I think our's reads atleast 2mph faster than actual. Do you just buy some type of gps device and it displays how fast it is moving? How much are they and where can you pick one up?

I use a handheld Garmin GPS it was about $100.

Edited by 06vlx

Guys, you're not giving over to the fact that these speedos aren't linear. What that means is that even though it's accurate at 20 & 30mph (which mine is), it won't be at WOT (which mine isn't). Mine says 49-50 at WOT with the Acme 537, but it's topping out at around 43mph. With the Acme 381 I can hit 47-48 via GPS, but the speedo is saying close to 55mph by then. I have yet to come across a standard speedo in any boat with a traditional method of taking readings that is linear. You have to go to a GPS based system to get that.

Any portable GPS will do. I use this one

http://www.fotoelectronics.com/Qstore/Qsto...mp;BACK=A0004A1

Point taken about not being linear. I am only concerned about riding speeds.

As are most people & really that's where it matters. But when comparing top speeds, you have to take that into account & still measure it by GPS regardless of how accurate the speedo is at those slower speeds.

Guys, you're not giving over to the fact that these speedos aren't linear. What that means is that even though it's accurate at 20 & 30mph (which mine is), it won't be at WOT (which mine isn't). Mine says 49-50 at WOT with the Acme 537, but it's topping out at around 43mph. With the Acme 381 I can hit 47-48 via GPS, but the speedo is saying close to 55mph by then. I have yet to come across a standard speedo in any boat with a traditional method of taking readings that is linear. You have to go to a GPS based system to get that.

You found one here. I'll take you out on my boat and show you. I've checked at every speed on my boat and the speedometer guage (not the digital readout I don't use that one) is accurate +/- 2 mph as the gps fluctuates. I've also never seen my speedo go over 45 with any prop on my boat.

Edited by 06vlx

That is amazing - I have never heard of a factory to be any where close to real life GPS.

BTW - GREAT THREAD! Rockon.gif