Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

buying new malibu

gate9869

Hi everyone ! Im new to this site and i'm in the market for a 23 lsv wakesetter. I am inbetween the 400hp and the big block motor, im buying used 2006- 2008. We usually go out with at least 12 people, gear, and coolers. I was wondering if anyone has personal use of these motors and which would be better. I'm leaning toward the big block but have never had the oppertunity to ride behind or drive a boat with that motor. This will be my first malibu, third boat. If anyone could help I would appreciate it !!

Hi everyone ! Im new to this site and i'm in the market for a 23 lsv wakesetter. I am inbetween the 400hp and the big block motor, im buying used 2006- 2008. We usually go out with at least 12 people, gear, and coolers. I was wondering if anyone has personal use of these motors and which would be better. I'm leaning toward the big block but have never had the oppertunity to ride behind or drive a boat with that motor. This will be my first malibu, third boat. If anyone could help I would appreciate it !!
Big Block 8.1 all the way. truck engine makes 450 hp will last for ever in a 23ft boat.

Ya that's what I was thinking to ! So peope have told me they drink a lot of oil and are out dated that's why I wanted to get the opinion from Malibu owners! Thanks

You've covered the answer. But this thread reminds me of my late father. I was around his boats since the day I was born. He always said "there is no substitute for cubic inches. He practiced it as have I. It was true in 1952 (my first rememberance of being on his boats) and it's true in 2009.

Might be unpopular but we have the the small block 340 Monsoon in our 23lsv and are extremely happy with the pull. We're typically on the water with 8-12 aboard. NoWake actually talked me out of the 400hp.

Might be unpopular but we have the the small block 340 Monsoon in our 23lsv and are extremely happy with the pull. We're typically on the water with 8-12 aboard. NoWake actually talked me out of the 400hp.

Anything over the 340 or now 350 is only good for two things in my opinion. More money out of your pocket during purchase, and more money out of your pocket for gas. Doesn't give you any more money during resale and doesn't do jack for you as far as performance goes. If you barefoot maybe. If you absolutely load the boat down with weight the big block would probably be a good idea, doesn't have to work as hard.

I'm a hp guy myself and love having all the power I can get my hands on. But realistically the HH is a waste of money for wakeboarding or surfing activities, if you want power skip that one and get the BB. Of course if a dealer wanted to throw it in for free I wouldn't turn it down, but I sure as heck wouldn't pay for it.

Edited by 06vlx

The BB is awesome for surfing. I don't think it actually uses more gas because it doesn't have to work nearly as hard. It is nice to have the power to out run a storm almost fully loaded with surf ballast.

The HH is ok but not so much of a difference from the Monsoon that you couldn't make it up with prop, low end or top end, depending on needs. It would be nice to have on a used boat but I wouldn't order a new one with it.

You're not taking your boat to the the local tractor pull are you? The Monsoon and/or Hammer Head has plenty of power for the 23 LSV when it is prop'd right for your needs.

no tractor pulls for me ha ha I just know when we have the tanks full, coolers full, and 12 people with gear we would have to have people go up front to get things going. I guess with a prop change that would fix that problem ! Does the top end speed differ between these motors ? Anything more than a couple mph ?

Keep in mind the 8.1 450hp makes its 450hp with brute strength, cubic inches.492 of them, the HH400 uses exotic metals, wild camshaft with higher lift and duration, shorter piston skirts that can after some wear get to rocking in the bore and thinner piston rings to reduce friction. Lighter rods and crankshaft.

gate9869, I'm in the same boat per say...haha. I have been talking with No Wake as well and looking at a new 09 23 as well. They have an 07 23 that is black/red that looks really nice in the pics. I'm up in Columbus (parents still live in West Chester) and will be going to the Columbus Boat Show in 2 weeks to talk some more. Hope you find the answers and I'm interested in this topic as well. I don't know if you will need to change props if you stay with the 350 monsoon at the altitude we are at but I think you might.

Good luck!

i have the 247 and also like you load up ice chests (2 min) and go on the lake with 10 -12 people. i have the hammerhead motor, and have the stock prop on it and it does just fine. the 8.1 does use alot of oil so make sure that you bring some with you everytime. i have had friends experience this problem. it also happend in the chevy truck line thats why it is not an option anymore, too many warranty issues.

Since '03, I have had a Monsoon, both HHs, and the 8.1 in either LSVs or VLXs. My favorite was the 8.1 in the LSV and Monsoon w/CATS in the VLX. Per Indmar, if you use the correct oil and substitute 2 quarts with Lucas additive, you won't have any oil burn problems. I put close to 200 hours on mine over one summer and never added oil between changes every 50 hours.

I have the 8.1 in my 2004 23 LSV and love it. You will really notice the extra torque of the BB when the boat is loaded. Last year I changed out props and put on an OJ XMP 14.25X14.5 and wow what a hole shot. You will not be dissapointed with the big block. It is NOT an oil burner and I don't know of anyone that has complained about the BB using oil, think it is a different story with the HH.

I did a search on this topic and you might want to look at these two threads:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18616&hl=big+block

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18097&hl=big+block

-Dave

gate9869, I'm in the same boat per say...haha. I have been talking with No Wake as well and looking at a new 09 23 as well. They have an 07 23 that is black/red that looks really nice in the pics. I'm up in Columbus (parents still live in West Chester) and will be going to the Columbus Boat Show in 2 weeks to talk some more. Hope you find the answers and I'm interested in this topic as well. I don't know if you will need to change props if you stay with the 350 monsoon at the altitude we are at but I think you might.

Good luck!

thanks bro ! Ive been talking with greg at no wake to ! I was gonna go with the 09 but with the big block and trailer I want i think its gonna be a little out of my price range. Ive found a couple of 07 - 08 23 lsv with the big blocks for a lot more reasonable price. Just wanted to hear what the owners have to say about those motors or if ill be ok with a smaller one. Good luck to you to ! Which lakes do you go to ? We usually go to norris, dale hollow, green river, cumberland, and the river here of course !!

Whatever your wallet can afford for upgrades on the boat, go for it. While there isn't replacement for displacement for cubic inches, there also isn't replacement for the extra huge sums of money out of my wallet for the upgrade. Test drive both then only you'll know what works for you.

FWIW - I boarded behind and drove two LSV's, one with the monsoon, and one with the HH before I purchased. I did not look at an 8.1, though it was not as common an option in 05/06 when I bought mine (mine is one of the first 06 off the line, picked up August 05.)

The difference between the monsoon and HH was night and day, from the driver seat.

Could I have lived with the Monsoon, propped down, sure, you bet I could have.

Is life that short - no.

FWIW - I boarded behind and drove two LSV's, one with the monsoon, and one with the HH before I purchased. I did not look at an 8.1, though it was not as common an option in 05/06 when I bought mine (mine is one of the first 06 off the line, picked up August 05.)

The difference between the monsoon and HH was night and day, from the driver seat.

Could I have lived with the Monsoon, propped down, sure, you bet I could have.

Is life that short - no.

Could be the largest eggageration posted so far.

gates, I live right next to Alum Creek north of Columbus. I of course frequent there and I hit Indian Lake (wife's parents have a trailer up there, but I'm hesitant to take a wakeboat up there because of how shallow some parts are) and I love Cumberland and Norris. Never been to Dale Hollow. When we get our boat though.........watch out as I will hit as many lakes as I can. I'm struggling also though as I have seen some 08's for about $10k to $12k less than a 09 so I'm torn. Do I take that better deal or buy local so I know I will be serviced and serviced right. I've dealt with dealers here (not malibu) in the columbus area and they are a$$ holes if you didn't buy from them.

Anyone know what the standard upcharge though is for the HH over the monsoon? I think its like $3k or so but didnt know for sure.

If you are pulling pro riders who really need full ballast and wedge even though there are 12 people in the boat, then I say by all means get the big block. Most riders are more than satified (intimidated) by the LSV wake with factory ballast, wedge, and 4-5 people in the boat. My 2004 and 2008 LSV's were set up with HH engine and the Acme 1235. That combo is more than enough. In fact, the 2008 factory wake is all most riders will ever be able to handle.

One time I loaded my 2004 with factory ballast, extra 1200 lbs of concrete in the rear lockers, 13 people, and full wedge. I was pulling a pro rider that day and it was the only time I ever felt like I needed more power. If that is how you plan to use your boat on a regular basis, I vote for the big block.

I am not sure if he ever said what his primary sport is. For us, we commonly use about 1500 lbs of ballast on top of the factory ballast and have about 12-14 people. But we are surfing and the BB does make it "nice", but I still would not say "necessary".

One other note, my 8.1 has never used a drop of oil. I can't say the same for a particular VLX 383HH that I spent some time on. Like someone said, the BB makes power out of just raw iron and displacement. The HH is basically all hot-rodded out. Thats one of the reasons I say stick with the Monsoon or go with BB - its more of a longevity thing to me.