Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Illusion X stuff

Travis

Ok so I have been getting SUPER frustrated looking for stuff over the net and the forums.. but I have a few questions:

I want to get some good tower lights. I read on the forums that the HID lights from ... LPA I think it was? Anybody have real experience with these? If so, how many would I need? I ride at 85-90 feet at 24-25 mph if it helps any.. I guess I could change at night though, maybe wear some of those glowy things you get at Six Flags and on Halloween? Thumbup.gif

Also, right now I have those small bullet tower speakers (the pointy ones) from Malibu. Would I be better off getting rid of those and getting 2 new ones? or should I add 2 of the same ones (which I can't find!!)

And with the LED and Neon lights.. Anybody know the best place? I saw a few links and checked them out but they seemed to be more for cars. Does it matter? Is there a boat specific thing? Also, is putting lights in the rear vents difficult? I checked it out and it looked like there was a pretty good seal on it.

Thanks ahead for any info!

(I did do my homework using the Search feature but didn't find exactly what I needed...) Dontknow.gif

I just bought loose leds if you wire them in groups of 3 no resistors etc are needed. This is a lousy pic but it does look great at night i have them in the front and back vents.

155.jpg

The LPA lights will be the way to go if your wanting to board 80ft back. I few people on the board have them and love them, I'm just not sure if your going to be able to see the boat while boarding.

On your tower speakers you can just reload them with a killer set of Bullet Hollow points to save some cash and also add a second pair to the tower if you want them extreamly load. You will for sure be able to hear them back 80ft Thumbup.gif

Not sure if this link for LED lights is what your looking but thought it might help.

I just bought loose leds if you wire them in groups of 3 no resistors etc are needed. This is a lousy pic but it does look great at night i have them in the front and back vents.

155.jpg

you mentioned that you can wire 3 LEDs together and not need a resistor. I'm curious what LEDs you used to achieve this. I bought some prewired 12V LEDs from Ebay, and was planning on using them, but now figure your way is better. I'm also curious how you wired them into your vents, did you drill in from the under side. The vents look cut off from the storage section. Thanks!

The Illusion tower is actually made by Metcraft...... a detail that is hard to find. Their website shows options that most of the Malibu dealers would carry; lights, speakers, racks, etc. It sounds like you have their speaker cans.

http://www.metcraftent.com/index.html

I have 6 of the bullet series lights. They are very bright and work for me. I have no experience with the LPAs so can't compare. The bullets are a halogen based ligth while I think the LPAs are HID. Not sure which is better for boats.

For LEDs it matters what you are trying to do. If you want to add some in the interior and match what is already there, Bakes sells the OEM lights that Malibu uses.

http://bakesonline.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=515

As for vents and such, most people seem to be using car type LEDs. I'm planning the 6 pod cluster for my rear vents.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/sto...product=ACCENTS

The LPA's lights are friken' bright. But D-Goose is right, if you have them pointed backwards, really any light worth their salt, it's going to be in-your-face if you are surfing, maybe not as bad 80' back.

LPAs http://www.lostpro.com/products.htm are trail tech lights http://trailtech.net/ packaged up so that you can mount them on your tower, with relays, connectors, mounts etc.

I have 4 MR11's, two spot and two flood, pointed forwards, that provides enough light in front of you to go 30 at night, dark, sunken objects notwithstanding. I would seriously consider going with these http://trailtech.net/single_hid_scmr16.html since they throw twice as much light as the 11's. These are so bright because they are HID, with self contained ballasts, you just hook them up to a 12v source.

For surfing, I would install these http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1301 underwater LEDs, I am betting it would light up your wake and be very cool. Anyone surf with these in the dark?

Thanks for all the responses!

Regarding the lights - Would you guys recommend 2 facing forward and 2 facing backward? Which lights (flood or HID) go where?

Regarding the Speakers - Will the Hollow Points fit in the 6.5 inch bullet speaker? What is the installation like from switching them out, and what are the prices for the full setup (to add two more speakers)

I've really enjoyed seeing the underwater lights as well, but I don't know if I will use them that much.. So until I get that bug to keep going I think I'm just gonna hold off :)

What's the difference between the 2 different bullet types? The little pointy ones and the not as pointy ones.. There any real difference other than looks? It makes sense that the not as pointy ones will throw better sound but maybe I'm wrong and it just depends on the internals of the speaker? Dontknow.gif

Edited by Travis

155.jpg

you mentioned that you can wire 3 LEDs together and not need a resistor. I'm curious what LEDs you used to achieve this. I bought some prewired 12V LEDs from Ebay, and was planning on using them, but now figure your way is better. I'm also curious how you wired them into your vents, did you drill in from the under side. The vents look cut off from the storage section. Thanks!

I'm also curious how the rear vents are wired in. I havnt looked at it much yet, but I have some extra Red LEDS that I got from bakes and would love to put some in there.

Also you said you had them in the front vents.... Have you ever had any problem with the police stopping you for having them up there. Im sure the NAV light is alot brighter, but knowing my cops around here, they would definitely stop me for something stupid like that

Ok so I have been getting SUPER frustrated looking for stuff over the net and the forums.. but I have a few questions:

I want to get some good tower lights. I read on the forums that the HID lights from ... LPA I think it was? Anybody have real experience with these? If so, how many would I need? I ride at 85-90 feet at 24-25 mph if it helps any.. I guess I could change at night though, maybe wear some of those glowy things you get at Six Flags and on Halloween? Thumbup.gif

Also, right now I have those small bullet tower speakers (the pointy ones) from Malibu. Would I be better off getting rid of those and getting 2 new ones? or should I add 2 of the same ones (which I can't find!!)

And with the LED and Neon lights.. Anybody know the best place? I saw a few links and checked them out but they seemed to be more for cars. Does it matter? Is there a boat specific thing? Also, is putting lights in the rear vents difficult? I checked it out and it looked like there was a pretty good seal on it.

Thanks ahead for any info!

(I did do my homework using the Search feature but didn't find exactly what I needed...) Dontknow.gif

I have one set of the HIDs from LPA. They are extremely bright and well built. I have them facing forward and use them when driving through the marina; they will light up anything 100+ feet out.

I don't think you would be able to use them wake boarding at night, they would just blind you, and you would not be able to see the boat or wake transition.

Personally, the HIDs are better than the halogens.