Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Which CWB wakeboard?

WakeGirl

I have an opportunity to buy a CWB wakeboard at cost, but we won't be able to demo prior to buying. This will be for our oldest son, who will be 14 in May.

Right now he's 5'7 & 125 lbs, with a size 11 foot. He's been on an '03 Belmont 131 DNA for a few years now & wants his new setup to be similar in its attributes since he loves the Belmont. He really doesn't have any problem with speed into the wake or pop off of the wake (if anything, he sometimes comes into the wake too hot). He tried my Absolute 135 Platinum last year & didn't like it, so I'm thinking that we need to stay with more of a freeride board with a continuous rocker. But which one? Remember, it has to be a CWB. I'm looking at the Marius, any thoughts on that? I was looking at the Faction, but it doesn't come in a size small enough (I suspect that a 138 will just be too big for him yet). As far as tricks, he's a wake-to-waker with a few grabs & he goes more than big enough to start looking at doing inverts & spins.

Bindings....I'm looking at the Faction. Any comments on that one for him?

Slider is crowing about how stubborn he is, claiming that he takes after me. All I can say is that sometimes it's not a bad thing to know what you like & like what you know. Biggrin.gif

Looks like the Marius would fit the bill with its continous rocker, I cant say how it is, Ive never ridden one. I have a CWB Pure and Transcend Platinum and really like them both. The Transcend has a much softer landing to me but I think the smallest size is a 138 and it has a 3 stage rocker. I believe the Pure has a 134, but is also 3 stage. I have a friend who has a 07 Faction and he really likes it and recommended it to me, but I got a great deal on the pure and went that way.

I do have experience with the faction bindings, I have 2 pair and love em. Dont know why everyone doesnt use the hinges, so much easier to get into. Haven't had any problems with mine and they support my ankles well and my feet stay put in them. I guess you can tell Im a big fan of CWB products, your son has good taste Biggrin.gif

If you can buy two, which ever one he doesn't like just sell it for what you paid :) Now you would be in trouble if he didn't like either Whistling.gif

Edit: I had the factor 137 and really like it, just too small once I actually learned how to ride it.

Edited by 68Slalom

I have the Transcend Platinum with Zeus bindings and really like the setup. It's a pretty loose board and lands soft like mentioned above. The looseness really helps keep me focusing on good edging. I have the 138 which may be a little large for him right now, but he's probably about to hit that huge adolescent growth phase. At 5'7" he might be in the middle of it, but then his weight will catch up and the 138 may be just right. I haven't ridden either of the other boards you mentioned but that's my $.02!

Can you take him down to a local dealer and let him try on the bindings?

I know Woodys son has a new CWB but not sure what one. I think its the one he was demoing during WOW last yr.

Can you take him down to a local dealer and let him try on the bindings?

I know Woodys son has a new CWB but not sure what one. I think its the one he was demoing during WOW last yr.

Drew got the 125 Surge which he demod at the WOW. It has a subtle 3 stage rocker. Drew should be able to ride it for a few years.

As big as RJ is, he would out grow that board in week, but

Ya the 125 would be to small for him and I'm sure will do just fine with that board for the next few yrs. LOL

I know he rode your Absolute 135 Platinum but what about just the regular Absolute like what Jess has? I know first hand that the Platinum rides and lands hards even thou it will launch you in the air higher then the regular one. See if he can remember what he didn't like about your board and if its how hard it rode then you may have a shot..............

I haven't rode a lot of CWB wakeboards but I have rode the Marius. I'd say if you can't demo the Marius first, don't get one. It is a very unique ride; Your son would either love it or hate it. It's, hands down, the widest board I've ever seen (both at the waist and tip/tail). Combine that with small fins and minimal channeling and you've got a board meant to do one thing: Go big. I'm not saying it's a bad board, I kind of liked the feel, but it's definitely a departure from a normal free ride board design. I rode the 140 a few times and it rides like a much bigger board. (I usually ride a LF Watson 142 and the Marius felt much bigger.) Anyway, good luck with your choice. Hope this info helps.

The Marius does take some getting used to...I am just a basic rider, nothing big...so I like the stability of the width, etc. It lands pillow soft.

I have the 08 Faction bindings and I do like them ALOT. If I had it to do all over, I might consider going Zeus just because there is pretty much NO upper ankle support on the Faction. Superb lower ankle and forefoot support but it is definitely a free moving binding. I came off a HL-Temet binding so it is a big change. But again, for my style, it is EASY as pie to get in and if you crash big...it pops right off, which is also a bonus, IMHO.

Know several that have ridden the Transcend and all uniformly like it alot. These are guys that do Air Rallies, Roll to Reverts, Scare Crows, etc...and so if that is his style...I would recommend the Transcend.

Also know that there was one sponsored rider that had a Ronix One...and he loved it. Seems like one of the major sites around had it recently for > 1/2 off.

Best of luck,

I would recommend the Transcend it is a great all around board. The marius should be demoed before purchase...kind of a love/hate board.

I like the CWB faction bindings, but everyone I ride with is getting away from them becasue the hinge parts keep breaking.

Edited by johnsvt

How does the Transcend compare with the Absolute? I'm guessing that it will be a bit looser & maybe more predictable. It looks like they offer the Platinum in a 135....

Oh & 1 other thing....I read something about the hole patterns changing for '09. Would I have difficulty putting an '09 binding on an '08 or older board?

Edited by WakeGirl

There was a BIG difference in the 07-08 models....the 08s with the much narrower platform and nearly 2 lbs lighter/set....which is amazing when you think about it. Anyway, I would imagine all the CWB line would interchange. Not sure there are huge changes in the 08-09. the 07-08 went to a reverse latch on the HINGE. You push it down to lock in place, a bit more akward but a fair amount more secure, IMHO. Had heard of many having issues with the HINGE that you had to pull UP on the latch to hook.

Oh & 1 other thing....I read something about the hole patterns changing for '09. Would I have difficulty putting an '09 binding on an '08 or older board?
How does the Transcend compare with the Absolute? I'm guessing that it will be a bit looser & maybe more predictable. It looks like they offer the Platinum in a 135....

08 Faction has a 6" plate so don't worry about differences. The 09 Transcend is a little bit wider in 09 and has similiar grip to an absolute, but is easier to roll on edge...for me. Secondly the Transcend has 4 removeable fin extensions to tighten or loosen up.

Hmmmm, well after doing some calling around, I'm not sure that CWB makes a board that's right for him. Talking with the folks at CWB actually makes me think that. I was put on to a Ronix after talking with a friend, so I called Ronix at lunch & chatted with them about it. The guy that I spoke with was very familiar with the Belmont & its riding characteristics, & he understood exactly what I was talking about when I described what it was that my son likes about it. He was able to recommend the Viva, which has many of the same basic specs as the Belmont (I think it's the latest evolution of the Covin?). Any comments on that board?

EDIT: More info. The Viva is a brand new mold. The Covin sits deeper in the water & has more grip, so it sounds like Viva is closest to what we're looking for out of what we've found.

Hmmmm, well after doing some calling around, I'm not sure that CWB makes a board that's right for him. Talking with the folks at CWB actually makes me think that. I was put on to a Ronix after talking with a friend, so I called Ronix at lunch & chatted with them about it. The guy that I spoke with was very familiar with the Belmont & its riding characteristics, & he understood exactly what I was talking about when I described what it was that my son likes about it. He was able to recommend the Viva, which has many of the same basic specs as the Belmont (I think it's the latest evolution of the Covin?). Any comments on that board?

This has happened to me a lot, I would have him demo different boards and at his age he'll be outgrowing them really fast until he gets to be about 19-20 yrs old and then he'll need a car by then :)