Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfboards

dlb

One thing to remember is that with most of these boards that you're talking about (outside of say a HL Landlock or LF Venture), they'll be pretty easy to sell on the used market. So if you buy them right to start with (by not paying full retail) you won't be out much if you find something down the road that you like better. And you will, you might as well give over to that fact right now. Biggrin.gif

I am thinking of getting a surfboard for my kids and their friends. None of them have done this before. My son is 15, the girls are 13, 10 and 8.

What should I look for in boards and/or do you recommend any specific boards.

Thanks,

dlb

Your profile states "triangle". You in the RTP area?

Hey folks,

Needs some advice. Been watching the board and trying to pick up pointers. Our boat is the 07' VLX and we have the full MLS system and power wedge to include fat sacs for stern lockers, mid ship and bow. So the surfwake will not be the issue. We have been wakeboarding for two seasons and just started to wakesurf at the tail end of last season. At that time a sales rep convienced us to by the Ronix Caption as it would fit in the exsisting board rack, but its not the easiest board for beginners.

In our crew we need to accomodate; 60 lbs eight year old kids, 110 lbs 12-13 year old kids and 120-200 lbs adults.

We are leaning toward the surf style rather than skim style board. We want a board that is easy to learn, fun to ride, will not hold us back as we progress and a board we won't have to replace after one season of riding. Which is why we are not considering the HL Landlock. A board that becomes all that just by swapping out fin configuration.

I am considering purchasing a Phase 5 Scamper for the 60 pounders as it sounds like a great board for kids up to 90 lbs, but I would like get everyones thoughts on the following:

Purchase the

1) Inland Surfer Blue Lake for everyone (not sure if this board is too big for the 12-13 year old kids) or

2) go with a combo of HL Broadcast 4'9" for the 12-13 year old kids & CWB Ride for adults or

3) go with a combo of HL Broadcast 4'9" for the 12-13 year old kids & HL Broadcast 5'6" for adults

I guess another question is the IS Blue Lake that much better than the CWB Ride or HL Broadcast 5'6" to warrant the extra $$. Does the Blue Lake have that much more capacity for skill advacement?

Any suggestions from those that have experience on these particular boards would be greatly appreciated. I would like to pull the trigger brfore this weekend if possible.

Much obliged :)

I see you are in the Houston area, to bad you didn't make it out to the Rocky Creek Round-Up Demo Day, pic from the event below.

WOdemodayFULLsm.jpg

I will have our Phase5 Scamp back after this weekend, was out on loan from the demo day. I have a stack of 09 demo boards that you and your crew are welcome to come out and try, just need to meet us out on the water.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer:.

Although I am a dealer, I give honest advice and sell: Phase 5, Inland Surfer, Distortion Wake, Triple X, The Walker Project, Props, Smed, Placebo, Shred Stixx, Victoria Skimboards, Neptune, Wellen Wake Surf Boards along with other equipment from Nice-Rack, Fresh Air Exhaust, Endless Wave, Wet Sounds, Evolution, Fly-High, Switchblade Wake and Underground Products.

One thing to remember is that with most of these boards that you're talking about (outside of say a HL Landlock or LF Venture), they'll be pretty easy to sell on the used market. So if you buy them right to start with (by not paying full retail) you won't be out much if you find something down the road that you like better. And you will, you might as well give over to that fact right now. Biggrin.gif

Good point. I don't mind buying good condition used, but I have searched Ebay and there doesn't appear to be many used boards available. Does anyone know of a better source for used boards?

Hey folks,

Needs some advice. Been watching the board and trying to pick up pointers. Our boat is the 07' VLX and we have the full MLS system and power wedge to include fat sacs for stern lockers, mid ship and bow. So the surfwake will not be the issue. We have been wakeboarding for two seasons and just started to wakesurf at the tail end of last season. At that time a sales rep convienced us to by the Ronix Caption as it would fit in the exsisting board rack, but its not the easiest board for beginners.

In our crew we need to accomodate; 60 lbs eight year old kids, 110 lbs 12-13 year old kids and 120-200 lbs adults.

We are leaning toward the surf style rather than skim style board. We want a board that is easy to learn, fun to ride, will not hold us back as we progress and a board we won't have to replace after one season of riding. Which is why we are not considering the HL Landlock. A board that becomes all that just by swapping out fin configuration.

I am considering purchasing a Phase 5 Scamper for the 60 pounders as it sounds like a great board for kids up to 90 lbs, but I would like get everyones thoughts on the following:

Purchase the

1) Inland Surfer Blue Lake for everyone (not sure if this board is too big for the 12-13 year old kids) or

2) go with a combo of HL Broadcast 4'9" for the 12-13 year old kids & CWB Ride for adults or

3) go with a combo of HL Broadcast 4'9" for the 12-13 year old kids & HL Broadcast 5'6" for adults

I guess another question is the IS Blue Lake that much better than the CWB Ride or HL Broadcast 5'6" to warrant the extra $$. Does the Blue Lake have that much more capacity for skill advacement?

Any suggestions from those that have experience on these particular boards would be greatly appreciated. I would like to pull the trigger brfore this weekend if possible.

I see you are in the Houston area, to bad you didn't make it out to the Rocky Creek Round-Up Demo Day, pic from the event below.

WOdemodayFULLsm.jpg

I will have our Phase5 Scamp back after this weekend, was out on loan from the demo day. I have a stack of 09 demo boards that you and your crew are welcome to come out and try, just need to meet us out on the water.

Cool! Would have liked to have been there, from the picture it looks like fun was had by all. Where do you typically launch from and ride?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer:.

Although I am a dealer, I give honest advice and sell: Phase 5, Inland Surfer, Distortion Wake, Triple X, The Walker Project, Props, Smed, Placebo, Shred Stixx, Victoria Skimboards, Neptune, Wellen Wake Surf Boards along with other equipment from Nice-Rack, Fresh Air Exhaust, Endless Wave, Wet Sounds, Evolution, Fly-High, Switchblade Wake and Underground Products.

We have a Liquid Force Custom 4'10'' board that me and my son ride. I am 170 lbs, my son is 9 and is 65 lbs. The board works great for us. We tried a Liquid Force Venture and my son could not get up on it. He had a hard time pressing the board into the water on the start. We also tried a Ronix Phase 5 board but it seemed to ride a little loose. If you could try some boards from your list that will definatley help with your decision.

We settled on the custom because I could ride it decently and he could easily get up on it. The biggest difference for us is really the boat set up. I ride with full ballast and when he rides we only have the center ballast and the wedge down. He can ride all over the lake without the rope. Once we get the wake too steep he has a harder time.

Thanks for heads up about the wave/wake for the little ones. We haven't gotten that far as of yet due to the lack of a right sized board for them. It's interesting that WakeWorld shows that board for weights from 100-230 lbs and yet your son at 65 lbs is riding the same board. So much miss-information on the web. That's why I think it's great to have a source like this forum to get the real world skinny on what works.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Hey folks,

Purchase the

We have a similar situation. Son who is 140 lbs and various adults from 110 - 220. We went for the Hyperlite Broadcast 5'6" as our first board. Couldn't be happier. Its a great beginner / intermediate board. We moved mroe into the surf style with a Shredstixx JaMako - which I use all the time now.

If I had one board for a broad group of kids / adults - it would be the Hyperlite Broadcast...

Good luck!