Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfboards

dlb

I am thinking of getting a surfboard for my kids and their friends. None of them have done this before. My son is 15, the girls are 13, 10 and 8.

What should I look for in boards and/or do you recommend any specific boards.

Thanks,

dlb

I would get a 'medium sized' surf style board. You can checkout the various manufacturer's websites for specific info on which of their models fit this description. The Liquid Force 'CUSTOM' and the CWB 'TSUNAMI' would be a couple. Here's a little info that might help:

Big "surf style" boards: These are great for beginners. They're also great for people who will have riders of different weights riding them (a 120lb person could ride the same board as a 210lb person). Beginners will find it easy to 'catch the wave' on big boards. The big disadvantage to these boards is that they are not very maneuverable and will become boring to ride once the rider starts to progress (which is usually quickly). A couple different friends have bought one of these and been bored after 4 or 5 sessions with it.

Medium sized "surf style" boards: These boards are a little harder to get up on for a beginner as there is not quite as much surface area. They will also be a little more difficult to balance on once you are up. They are a little 'edgier' and respond quicker to the riders movements. They need to be sized to the rider a little bit more than the big boards. The big advantage to these boards is that they are much more maneuverable, which will keep them fun to ride for a long time.

Smaller "skim" style boards: These are really fun to ride.......if you're experienced. I wouldn't recommend them to a beginner. They also tend to be more expensive, and should definitely be sized to the rider.

CWB, Hyperlite, Ronix, Phase 5, and Liquid Force are a few manufacturers but there's a lot more

Anyway, Good Luck! Let us know what you ended up with......

it also depends on the size of your wake. bigger wake = smaller board, especially for beginners, a big wake and big board will have too much push and can have them freaking out and falling because they get too close to the boat.

I too would recommend a medium sized board, like the phase 5 prop, for beginners.

Most importantly, get a wakesurf rope. The danger of your kid or their friend falling and getting an arm caught in the handle of the rope are too real to ignore. There was a story on this site awhile ago about a teenager having his arm ripped off during a fall. A friend of mine lost the end of his finger because we were all experienced and were cognizant of the dangers and were careful, but it still happened.

I am thinking of getting a surfboard for my kids and their friends. None of them have done this before. My son is 15, the girls are 13, 10 and 8.

What should I look for in boards and/or do you recommend any specific boards.

Thanks,

dlb

It depends a little on how tall & heavy your older kids are, but you might consider the Hyperlite Broadcast 4'9" as a starter board. It is a skim-style

board that, if your kids are already wakeboarders, should be easy for them to ride (My 16 yr. old daughter, four of her friends, and I all popped up

on the first try with this little board), surfing behind a Tige 21 Ve (my buddy's boat).

It'll easily fit into your existing wakeboard racks. Plus, as your kids advance, you can change the boards maneuverability by removing the center of

three fins, then by removing the outer fins and replacing the center fin, then by removing the outer fins and exchanging the center fin for one of the

smaller outer fins.

And, the best part, you can pick one up for $219.99 at www.waterskis.com, or for $197.50 at www.boardco.com (close-outs on 2008's).

Not saying that there aren't a number of better boards out there. But, for the price and versatility, it's worth a look.

Edited by srab

Totally agree with the Broadcst reco.

I just started with my wife & kid (180 lb - 120lb) and we are all 3 surfing!!

Just dont't forget about getting a good, only-to-wakesurf rope!

Enjoy and let us know what you chose

Thanks for all the tips. I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Its a sure thing that I will get a surfing rope.

My son is about 5'4" and 130. He is just beginning to grow. I am 200 and will be wanting to try as well.

Since we kind of crossed into the topic of Surf ropes, what type is recommended. I basically found 3 types: Wakesurf Handle, Knotted, and T-bar. We are all beginners (me, wife and 11, 10 and 9 year olds). I found an old post from 2005 where people were making there own, but barring doing that what would be recommended. I assume knotted, but is that going to be too hard for beginners? Is the Handle and the T-bar a sufficient precaution over a traditional handle?

Edited by MalibuWantToBe

Wakesurf handle for sure. The knotted can be hard on the hands. The T-bar is hard to hold with one hand, which you will want to do once you get up.

Since we kind of crossed into the topic of Surf ropes, what type is recommended. I basically found 3 types: Wakesurf Handle, Knotted, and T-bar. We are all beginners (me, wife and 11, 10 and 9 year olds). I found an old post from 2005 where people were making there own, but barring doing that what would be recommended. I assume knotted, but is that going to be too hard for beginners? Is the Handle and the T-bar a sufficient precaution over a traditional handle?

I have a regular handle and a t-bar and prefer the t-bar with the knotted rope like this one from Liquid Force: 15876.Image.1.jpg

I agree the regular handle is easier to use with one hand, but I've had several people hold the rope portion of the handle (nothing dangerous unless they put their arm through it), and I've had people wrap the skinny rope around their hand as they try to take up slack. The LF rope/handle eliminates both of these risks.

I'd definately want one with a handle, and not just a knotted rope.

Wakesurf handle for sure. The knotted can be hard on the hands. The T-bar is hard to hold with one hand, which you will want to do once you get up.

FWIW, we use the t-bar and it works well. Once we are up, we typically need to pull ourselves forward, gripping the fat braided portion of the rope in front of the

handle until we are in the sweet spot. At that point, the handle is either dangling down or being gripped loosely by the surfer's trailing hand. Then, we toss it.

On a side note, I mail-ordered my surf rope and was surprised at how short it is. We attach to the ski pylon because it won't reach the tower without us being

pretty much on the swim platform. No biggie. Just thought it could use an extra 3 foot section or so (which we've borrowed from one of our slalom lines

on occasion).

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW...Check out the Ronix Caption 4"8. Being that it is shorter, it allows more room in-between the boat. Downside it's smaller, which can make it some what loose (we like that). Overall, GREAT board!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking to get wake surfing board.

My brother and I are 200 - 240 lbs. both experienced wakeboarders and have wakesurfed before (just not with a wake surf board).

Also going to be riding behind a Malibu 247 LSV Wakesetter

Any recommendations?

Looking to get wake surfing board.

My brother and I are 200 - 240 lbs. both experienced wakeboarders and have wakesurfed before (just not with a wake surf board).

Also going to be riding behind a Malibu 247 LSV Wakesetter

Any recommendations?

FWIW...Check out the Ronix Caption 4"8. Being that it is shorter, it allows more room in-between the boat. Downside it's smaller, which can make it some what loose (we like that). Overall, GREAT board!

Dlb

Be carefull with the knot type and the T bar they can be heavy to toss back into the boat due to the thickness of the bradding the surf handle is lighter and easer to toss in the boat, $.02

How wide is the handle on surf ropes? I have an old wakeboard handle which is knotted for wrapped tricks and I am going to cut down the handle width and shorten the triangle to have a dog leash type handle as well as knotted surf handle. If anyone knows the internal width of the new surf handles or the dog leash handles, I would appreciate the measurement.

Thanks,

Whoa

• 2 months later...

Hey folks,

Needs some advice. Been watching the board and trying to pick up pointers. Our boat is the 07' VLX and we have the full MLS system and power wedge to include fat sacs for stern lockers, mid ship and bow. So the surfwake will not be the issue. We have been wakeboarding for two seasons and just started to wakesurf at the tail end of last season. At that time a sales rep convienced us to by the Ronix Caption as it would fit in the exsisting board rack, but its not the easiest board for beginners.

In our crew we need to accomodate; 60 lbs eight year old kids, 110 lbs 12-13 year old kids and 120-200 lbs adults.

We are leaning toward the surf style rather than skim style board. We want a board that is easy to learn, fun to ride, will not hold us back as we progress and a board we won't have to replace after one season of riding. Which is why we are not considering the HL Landlock. A board that becomes all that just by swapping out fin configuration.

I am considering purchasing a Phase 5 Scamper for the 60 pounders as it sounds like a great board for kids up to 90 lbs, but I would like get everyones thoughts on the following:

Purchase the

1) Inland Surfer Blue Lake for everyone (not sure if this board is too big for the 12-13 year old kids) or

2) go with a combo of HL Broadcast 4'9" for the 12-13 year old kids & CWB Ride for adults or

3) go with a combo of HL Broadcast 4'9" for the 12-13 year old kids & HL Broadcast 5'6" for adults

I guess another question is the IS Blue Lake that much better than the CWB Ride or HL Broadcast 5'6" to warrant the extra $$. Does the Blue Lake have that much more capacity for skill advacement?

Any suggestions from those that have experience on these particular boards would be greatly appreciated. I would like to pull the trigger brfore this weekend if possible.

Much obliged :)

I bought my nieces a phase5 scamp they are 8 i think that board is good for kids up to 90lbs

The scamp is a great board, i know it says up to 90 lbs, but we have ridden it with guys at 180, just need a bigger wake.

Hey folks,

Needs some advice. Been watching the board and trying to pick up pointers. Our boat is the 07' VLX and we have the full MLS system and power wedge to include fat sacs for stern lockers, mid ship and bow. So the surfwake will not be the issue. We have been wakeboarding for two seasons and just started to wakesurf at the tail end of last season. At that time a sales rep convienced us to by the Ronix Caption as it would fit in the exsisting board rack, but its not the easiest board for beginners.

In our crew we need to accomodate; 60 lbs eight year old kids, 110 lbs 12-13 year old kids and 120-200 lbs adults.

We are leaning toward the surf style rather than skim style board. We want a board that is easy to learn, fun to ride, will not hold us back as we progress and a board we won't have to replace after one season of riding. Which is why we are not considering the HL Landlock. A board that becomes all that just by swapping out fin configuration.

I am considering purchasing a Phase 5 Scamper for the 60 pounders as it sounds like a great board for kids up to 90 lbs, but I would like get everyones thoughts on the following:

Purchase the

1) Inland Surfer Blue Lake for everyone (not sure if this board is too big for the 12-13 year old kids) or

2) go with a combo of HL Broadcast 4'9" for the 12-13 year old kids & CWB Ride for adults or

3) go with a combo of HL Broadcast 4'9" for the 12-13 year old kids & HL Broadcast 5'6" for adults

I guess another question is the IS Blue Lake that much better than the CWB Ride or HL Broadcast 5'6" to warrant the extra $$. Does the Blue Lake have that much more capacity for skill advacement?

Any suggestions from those that have experience on these particular boards would be greatly appreciated. I would like to pull the trigger brfore this weekend if possible.

Outside of #1, since I can't comment on the Blue Lake....#2 would be a great solution with a little overlap depending on the skill & size of riders. It would cover (guessing here) roughly 95% of the people that you bring on the boat in terms of skill & size. The bigger broadcast doesn't have as much flotation as the Ride & won't accommodate the range of sizes that the Ride will IMO. Can't comment on the Scamper, sorry.

Hey folks,

Purchase the

Outside of #1, since I can't comment on the Blue Lake....#2 would be a great solution with a little overlap depending on the skill & size of riders. It would cover (guessing here) roughly 95% of the people that you bring on the boat in terms of skill & size. The bigger broadcast doesn't have as much flotation as the Ride & won't accommodate the range of sizes that the Ride will IMO. Can't comment on the Scamper, sorry.

Thanks for the quick response. Can you or anyone else suggest a more suitable combinationg given what I am trying to achieve. I would like to get it right the first time and avoid having a garage full of boards that no one will ride. Cry.gif

Cheers

We have a Liquid Force Custom 4'10'' board that me and my son ride. I am 170 lbs, my son is 9 and is 65 lbs. The board works great for us. We tried a Liquid Force Venture and my son could not get up on it. He had a hard time pressing the board into the water on the start. We also tried a Ronix Phase 5 board but it seemed to ride a little loose. If you could try some boards from your list that will definatley help with your decision.

We settled on the custom because I could ride it decently and he could easily get up on it. The biggest difference for us is really the boat set up. I ride with full ballast and when he rides we only have the center ballast and the wedge down. He can ride all over the lake without the rope. Once we get the wake too steep he has a harder time.

You really can't go wrong with the Inland Surfer Blue Lake or the Phase 5 Oogle. Both can accommodate a wide range of riders and they will progress far longer in your skill development. I prefer the Blue Lake because you can get the quad fin setup. Keep all fins for the novice riders and then remove the two rear for the more advanced.