Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Barefooting Basics ?

Slider

The longline front deepwater start is surprisingly easy to do right up to planting your feet. If you have the strength to hold the handle at your belt line and can stiffen your body flat as a board while tilting your head back I guarantee you will come out of the water and plane onto your back. Don't try to situp too early or you'll be a human anchor. When the water line gets to your lower to middle back then sit up slowly leaning back slightly so you are riding on your butt. This position should be so stable and comfortable that you could ride like this forever (with the proper wetsuit padding). I would take several runs just butt riding without even trying to stand until you feel very comfortable. Initially have the driver turn a little to get you outside the wake and wait for the speed to be right. Then plant and ski away like you should already be good at from the 5 foot rope. The main difference between 5 foot deepwater and longline is the feeling of less stability while planting and skiing. Increase your speed 3 mph over 5 foot rope speed. I learned long-line off of a kneeboard in the old days and then felt like an idiot once a tried long-line deepwater since it is considerably easier. You should get it pretty quick with your experience on the 5 foot rope.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VinRLX

• martho

• Slider

• BarefootOz

WakeGirl,

I would suggest starting from the boom (no rope). You can do the Superman and swing around, or you can start on you back with your feet on the boom cables. The feet on the cable works well for females because they don't usually have as much upper body strength as men. Either way when you plant your feet it has to be evenly so it does not spin you to the side. The most important thing when learning is DO NOT LET GO OF THE BOOM. If you catch a toe or can't get up, the driver should SLOW to a stop. That way you NEVER have to face plant when learning. A barefoot suit and padded shorts are a must have.

Bill

Hey Jack,

Thanks for that great video clip, obviously bought at a painful price. Sorry I didn't get to watch it earlier. I have tried the 5' rope off of boom a few times, but I start to bounce real bad and have a hard time transitioning from my shoulders to my butt without my feet digging in. (wham over I go.)

Joe

Actually I feel the front deepwater start is harder on the five foot rope than the long line. The boom pull is upward which causes bouncing and if you leave your feet on the rope too long they will have a tendency to slam down on the water once you try to take them off. The tumbleup or swing-out starts are much better for the five foot rope. Long line deepwater is much easier. Just try it, you might be surprised.

Flyers are fun.

However, your driver can make/break you on a flyer. You have to get pulled off the dock, you just cant jump in the water and then take up the slack :lol:

Tracie,

I learned a million years ago(ok so it feels like it), long line stepping off a old slalom ski, before we had a boom, now I hate stepping off and always long line deep water start, I agree it is much easier. But if you have a boom we have found it easier to teach people on the boom, with the area just below your chest resting on the boom and lowering your feet in and leaning back with your arms straight, and knees together for the spray. The long line is easier as long as you pick up your form on the boom. For long line it helps to hold your body long and straight nad yu should be able to pop up onto your but pretty quick. Good luck and make sure you are blowing out of your nose!

Judy Biggrin.gif

BarefootOzz showed me a trick with tape over his nose. He does it every time out and I believe some of the other BuCrew members do it, as well.

Maybe he can give us the scoop on the tape.

I used a band-aid previously. May, in fact, have gotten the idea from Oz. Currently use a competition nose clip tied off to my zipper with 40 pound test, braided, ice fishing line.

I only hope that after one of my faceplants that a 40 pound fish doesn't grab my clip and pull me under. ;)

Edited by VinRLX
Jack, what's a nose clip?...  Dontknow.gif

Like for swimming. Looks geeky and makes you sound like an idiot, but if you want to sleep at night without your sinuses pounding like bass drums. . .

See here.

Cool!... never seeing one!... btw: I know all about sinuses!... if I don't wear that tape on my nose I have to sleep on the couch that night!... Mrs. BarefootOz insist!... Cry.gif

During a front deep, I usually blow out my..... Blowup.gif

The added lift helps get on plane quicker. The bubbles are neat, too Tongue.gif

You clowns. :)

Just blow out your nose slowly until you get up on plane and you'll be fine.

Mlange:

I agree with you totally!! Much easier!!

Yup, thanks. I blow out, even with the nose clip on. Pollen on the water or algae in the water drives my sinuses to a fevered insanity.

Oz, I think it was pics of you or info about your tape that led me to do the band-aid under the nostrils. I had a supply in the glove box at all times while learning. THANK YOU! I would not be doing front deeps and possibly not BF at all if it weren't for that little gem of info that I needed at the time.

Hope the speedo clip is of use to you. Just be sure to attach it securely to your zipper! This summer I'll have to remember to take it off once I'm up. Biggrin.gif

Edited by VinRLX

Maybe my comments were a little misunderstood. If you are proficient on the boom and the 5 foot rope then go to the longline. Never try to learn to barefoot behind the boat. You'll find the deepwater start is much better for longline starts than 5 foot rope starts.

Gotta give it up to Oz on the taped snout suggestion...it sure looks goofy but works quite well. I won't take a footin run without it now...

Just tare the tape off before you take any action photos Biggrin.gif . Hopefully the tape won't pull out any stray bugers. A one foot with a dangling snot string is not a pretty picture :)

I'm not too proud to try the tape, heck I already wear silicone earplugs when I 'board because I have such a problem with lake water in my ears. The tape just sounds like a good solution to me, but then again maybe I'm just a Baby.gif .

More. Hopefully I don't bump the free streaming limit, but we'll see.

Back Deep start on the leader:

http://www.streamload.com/SmoothWaterMan/backdeepleader.mov

Basic Front Start & body position on the boom:

http://www.streamload.com/SmoothWaterMan/Basic_Start.mov

Front One Foot:

http://www.streamload.com/SmoothWaterMan/FrontOneFoot.mov

Hand Skiing:

http://www.streamload.com/SmoothWaterMan/handski.mov

Tumble Turns:

http://www.streamload.com/SmoothWaterMan/TumbleMan.mov

Long Line Back Run:

http://www.streamload.com/SmoothWaterMan/BackLongline.mov