Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Factory swim ladder

BearCreekBum

After months of looking and researching my wife and I are buying our first inboard a 2008 23 lsv. Since we and most of our friends are in our 40's my wife thinks we need to add the factory swim platform ladder. I am trying to convice her to wait a year and see how difficult climbing on the platform will be.

Can those with this option please let me know if you like it and if it get in the way at all?

Thanks in advance.

Since we and most of our friends are in our 40's my wife thinks we need to add the factory swim platform ladder.

No experience with the ladder, but I just had to say ouch. When you phrase it like that, makes the 40's sound like a bunch of geriatrics. :)

My wife and I and all our friends are "in our 40's", but have no difficulty whatsoever climbing onto the swim platform. It really is not nearly the climb you might think looking at one sitting on a trailer in a showroom. It is in reality much closer to the water surface. Now if you have friends with special physical challenges, then I could see it being beneficial.

Oh, and Welcome.gif to the site!

Since we and most of our friends are in our 40's my wife thinks we need to add the factory swim platform ladder.

No experience with the ladder, but I just had to say ouch. When you phrase it like that, makes the 40's sound like a bunch of geriatrics. :)

My wife and I and all our friends are "in our 40's", but have no difficulty whatsoever climbing onto the swim platform. It really is not nearly the climb you might think looking at one sitting on a trailer in a showroom. It is in reality much closer to the water surface. Now if you have friends with special physical challenges, then I could see it being beneficial.

Plus1.gif

We are in our late 50's and have no trouble. My wife has a Little trouble sometimes but she is a Large women. But over all she gets on no big thing.

I think if I had doughs I would make a short line you can clip on the tow hook on the back of the boat with maybe a old ski handle to step in for just a little help.

P.S. If any one shows my wife this post I will need to Guns.gif you!!!! Whistling.gif

Now if you have friends with special physical challenges, then I could see it being beneficial.

If only there were an appropriate 'ladder option' for your special intellectual challenges, Jerry. (Not that there's anything wrong with that) But, as the saying goes, you can't cure Stoopid®. :lol:

Now if you have friends with special physical challenges, then I could see it being beneficial.

If only there were an appropriate 'ladder option' for your special intellectual challenges, Jerry. (Not that there's anything wrong with that) But, as the saying goes, you can't cure Stoopid®. :lol:

Never quite know what form it will take, but I always know from what direction it is going to come...

In the words of the great Inspector Jacques Clouseau, "GoudThwon!" :)

Plus1.gif

We are in our late 50's and have no trouble. My wife has a Little trouble sometimes but she is a Large women. But over all she gets on no big thing.

I think if I had doughs I would make a short line you can clip on the tow hook on the back of the boat with maybe a old ski handle to step in for just a little help.

P.S. If any one shows my wife this post I will need to Guns.gif you!!!! Whistling.gif

Plus1.gif

So concerned about it, you only wanted to post it twice? :)

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier

I've been looking at that option myself for the new boat. Does it lock into place and stay there ok when cruising, I know the ladder on the Glastron kept wanting to come loose after one seasons use.

OPS!!!!!! :Doh: I fixed it SunriseH2OSkier. My wi-fi is not the best but the best I can get. Frustrated.gif It locks up quite frequently. I didn't think it went out and pushed the button again.

Here's a previous forum discussion from last year on adding a ladder- http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....adder&st=40

I installed a stainless steel ladder like the one above, but with no holes through the swim step (see page 3 of the above forum for pictures).

I did not need to drill holes thru the swim step. i drilled quite a few additional holes in the mounting bracket and used stainless screws into the bottom of the swim grid.

I do check it occasionally to make sure the step is secure but no problems yet. I can be guilty of over-engineering my projects but decided to take a simpler approach this time and am glad i did.

This ladder will not come loose over time as the black nylon strap you see has a clip on it that clips into its holder mounted beside the ladder. it is an easy feel thing to click it in and off.

Cervelo,

What brand and model is that? I know you posted it a while ago..... I forget. And Mrs Faceplant has mandated a ladder this year...

Thanks!

Pat

Anyone put on on Teak? Wondering if the spacing is just right for the cross members?

My GF's parents no longer go to the lake withe us b/c it is difficult for them to get in and out of the boat. I am seriously considering installing one of these and putting it right in the MIDDLE of the platform. We surf ALOT and don't really want anything on the lower edges of the platform to drag/disrupt water flowing under/around the platform.

???????

Cervelo,

What brand and model is that? I know you posted it a while ago..... I forget. And Mrs Faceplant has mandated a ladder this year...

Thanks!

Pat

the one in the picture was purchased here: windline ladder

Thanks to all for the responses. After seeing the posts I convinced the better half to wait one season and lets see how it goes. We are changing from a Four Winns with the extended swim platform and a ladder that extends at least 3 feet below the water.

Cervelo, I really like the extra step on your ladder over the factory one and think that would be better for our situation.

Boat should be ready in a few weeks and then a few months of agonizing pain waiting on summer.

Thanks again

Anyone put on on Teak? Wondering if the spacing is just right for the cross members?

My GF's parents no longer go to the lake withe us b/c it is difficult for them to get in and out of the boat. I am seriously considering installing one of these and putting it right in the MIDDLE of the platform. We surf ALOT and don't really want anything on the lower edges of the platform to drag/disrupt water flowing under/around the platform.

???????

Cervelo,

Thanks!

Pat

the one in the picture was purchased here: windline ladder

in the middle you have to check whether it will fit above the wedge.

As far as teak goes, i installed the same ladder on my previous boat, '01 ssvlx, you just need to add a piece of teak to the bottom of the platform for the mounting bracket as there is a lip around the grid that will have to be evened out to the middle part.

It's fits fine in the center above the wedge, and matches up to the grab bar just above swim step. However, I'm unsure of just screwing the ladder to the bottom of a fiberglass swim step. Fiberglass usually doesn't hold well using screws, but an industrial type pop rivet that expands behind the fiberglass surface may be better. Mine is probably overkill, but I didn't want an incident where anybody got hurt getting in or the ladder ended up at the bottom. I'm sorry that the link provided above didn't show the finished / installed ladder. Perhaps the next time the bu is out I can take one and post it.

Attached is a photo I found of the ladder on a teak swimstep (bolted through)… It's a good picture since it shows the model number and a couple of problems with the ladder design. The picture is with the ladder fully retracted, but it still sticks out a couple of inches from the edge of the swimstep (possible hazard jumping in). If you mount the ladder in further so the end is flush to the edge it makes the deployed position 3-4 inches inboard from the edge of the swimstep. This just makes it awkward /painful on your shin (as it hits the swim step edge) when using the top step of the ladder. I ended up cutting the slide bracket on each side and extending it a few inches. Now it's contained under the swimstep and deployed at its very back edge. Also, I have a manual wedge and the trap door isn't affected by the ladder...

post-1873-1233589509_thumb.jpg

My first thought was an 'ouch' as well, as I have left the 40's behind and have no problem getting up onto the swim step. I had an I/O with a ladder when I was in my late 30's and early 40's and I can't say that it was any easier to get into that boat than with the current boat, in spite of my apparent elderly status.

I installed a ladder primarily for grandparents, legit geriatric qualifications. Like others said, you just need to add a piece of teak to the bottom. I through-bolted and countersunk the heads flush on top. Mounted off to the side instead the center, don't remember why, but ours folds back flush and is not a shin knocker. Since we often have 3 generations on the water the ladder is a big help with older and younger kids. Also has come in handy if someone is over-served and having difficulty shamo'ing back on.

Have a ladder on the in-laws barely used outboard Canaventure. Not exactly the most sturdy thing either. Wouldn't put one of the bu as you really just need to give a slight push down on the swim step and pop yourself up, swing round and stand up. Easy.

• 2 years later...

anyone know if the Malibu Ladder mounts easily to an '06 fiberglass swim platform? My in-laws will pay for the ladder if it works but I don't want to have to make too many modifications to the platform (i.e. replace the brackets) if I don't have too.

We have a 2008 and the ladder would have been an easy add on when we bought the boat. It bolts to the underside of the platform, on one of the sides. It pulls out to the side, not the rear.