Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tube Sac v. Integrated Bow Sac

scott_fx

i've been reading a ton about the ballast systems in preparation of my own project. everything i read says that i need weight up front (i have a '98 vlx sunsetter) but most people seem to only have the rear v-drive sacks and the ski locker sacks. Would it be a better option to skip the ski locker sack and just use the Integrated Bow Sac instead? the weight would be further up making it easier to lower the front, but are there any cons to this? (maybe dipping the nose too far when you're cross your own wake?)

i've done search but doesn't seem like a lot of you are using these, there must be a reason.

thanks in advance,

scott

The ski locker will only hold about 350lbs. no matter what sac is in there. That's all the volume the locker has.

I'd go with the bow sack because it will probably hold more weight but, it will kill your seating and access to stuff in and under the bow cushions.

The ski locker will only hold about 350lbs. no matter what sac is in there. That's all the volume the locker has.

I'd go with the bow sack because it will probably hold more weight but, it will kill your seating and access to stuff in and under the bow cushions.

i was under the assumption that it didnt affect the seating. the one i'm talking aobut installs under the seats (i think)

Oooops,

Sorry, I thought you meant a sac on top of the seats.

The one that goes under the seats probably doesn't hold all that much weight, there isn't much empty volume under there.

What I do is fill my ski locker sac and put 4 pop bags way up in the nose. Maximizes available storage area.

yeah, i was wondering about how much water they would actually hold when installed in that area.

i didnt fully understand one of the threads but; as i understood it, there was a guy who put the open bow sac under his front seats and made a bracket for a filler piece to make that area just one big cushion. have you heard of anyone doing that? that would allow much more weight up front and be relatively stealth.... sounds like a big project though.

• 1 month later...

I would recommend the Integrated Bow Sac if it's one or the other. Because your boat is a v-drive, it's already biased towards the back in terms of the weight distribution, so adding the v-drive bags in the back means you're going to need more weight than the a bag in the ski locker can supply to bring the bow down.

The IBS is also better for surfing, but cause filling it partially will allow water to flow to the side you're surfing.

Do you have a Wedge installed, or do you plan on putting one on in the future?

Some great information from all. I just ordered a new sac for the locker from Paul at Bakes and he ordered me a 500lbs sac for the locker. This sac had to be ordered from Malibu and is designed to fit in the locker without pushing the door open…I’m still waiting on it to get here as I just placed the order with him last week.

I would recommend the Integrated Bow Sac if it's one or the other. Because your boat is a v-drive, it's already biased towards the back in terms of the weight distribution, so adding the v-drive bags in the back means you're going to need more weight than the a bag in the ski locker can supply to bring the bow down.

The IBS is also better for surfing, but cause filling it partially will allow water to flow to the side you're surfing.

i dont intend on adding a wedge. I think i'll just bite the bullet and get both the ibs and the center.

i dont intend on adding a wedge. I think i'll just bite the bullet and get both the ibs and the center.

Check out the group buy!

Check out the group buy!

already did :)

i got the v-drive sacs from evo for $150 last week and I picked up a used ski locker sack from a supra (16x16x70) for dirt cheap. now i just need the pumps, fittings and the bow sac and i'll be ready to go!

• 2 weeks later...

I have an integrated bow sack and I think your boat is the same as mine. I am guessing about 300 lbs in the sack and it can push the seat cushions up, but you don't have to fill it that full if someone is sitting up front.

I added another 200lbs of of pop bags up front to help offset the 750's in the rear lockers.

I have an integrated bow sack and I think your boat is the same as mine. I am guessing about 300 lbs in the sack and it can push the seat cushions up, but you don't have to fill it that full if someone is sitting up front.

I added another 200lbs of of pop bags up front to help offset the 750's in the rear lockers.

since you have a similar boat, do you feel that the IBS is necessary? I don't have 750's in the back, i have the standard v-drive sacs (450#'s?)

What hull is it? I run two V-Drive sacks in the back, ski locker sack and another 300 pounds on the floor of the bow and have everybody step over it when we ride fully weighted. Throws up a pretty nice wake and I like having the front storage for anchor, line, etc.

What hull is it? I run two V-Drive sacks in the back, ski locker sack and another 300 pounds on the floor of the bow and have everybody step over it when we ride fully weighted. Throws up a pretty nice wake and I like having the front storage for anchor, line, etc.

i have the SV23 Wake hull.

I know you've told me before, but do you have a Wedge on the boat? Also, do you like a steeper wake, or a more mellow one? If you have the Wedge, of if you like a more gradual transition, I would say go with the IBS, if not, then the Tube Sac should be enough.

I know you've told me before, but do you have a Wedge on the boat? Also, do you like a steeper wake, or a more mellow one? If you have the Wedge, of if you like a more gradual transition, I would say go with the IBS, if not, then the Tube Sac should be enough.

no wedge and im pretty new. this boat is my first wakeboard boat. i've been going about 10 times a year on a friend's i/o and not really paying attention to the wake.

i'll start out w/o the bow sac i guess and just have some people sit up front to see if i like the difference.

Sounds like a good idea. If you get to the point where you think you might want one, you can always demo it from us to see if you like it or not.

Sounds like a good idea. If you get to the point where you think you might want one, you can always demo it from us to see if you like it or not.

thanks for your help, and everyone elses as well