Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat slips back on trailer

twiggy

I am somewhat a novice when loading and unloading. My question is when I load my boat I reel it in as tight as I can I think and when I pull out the boat slides back a few inches. So really it is not up tight. Is this common or what am I doing wrong. I thought about that Boat Buddy to make sure that it locks in. Thanks for the input.

Even though it feels tight when winching the boat up, the strap on the winch is not that tight on the underlaying turns from when you start winching the boat up and it is easy to crank. So it is these looser underlaying turn pulling tight that puts slack in the overlaying turns. Try to keep as much tension on the strap as possible when you start winching when the boat comes up the trailer bunks easy.

Edited by electricjohn
I am somewhat a novice when loading and unloading. My question is when I load my boat I reel it in as tight as I can I think and when I pull out the boat slides back a few inches. So really it is not up tight. Is this common or what am I doing wrong. I thought about that Boat Buddy to make sure that it locks in. Thanks for the input.

It isn;t that your boat slides back... it is that the back of the boat is floating and when you pull forward the back "drops" onto the trailer, this forces the boat to sort of "rock back" on the trailer, which pull the bow away from the winch. This can aften be avoided by not backing the trailer in the water quite as far (this allows te bow to ride up the trailer out of water and it tends to put the boat at the same angle as the tailer bunks.) Play around with it a bit and you will find the correct depth to back your trailer in (and of course this all changes when you use different launch ramps with different angles.)

It isn;t that your boat slides back... it is that the back of the boat is floating and when you pull forward the back "drops" onto the trailer, this forces the boat to sort of "rock back" on the trailer, which pull the bow away from the winch.

+1

Our winch strap (wide car seatbelt type) used to go loose until I completely unwound it and pulled as hard as possible on it while son reeled me in. Solved.

I loved the Boat Buddy on my MC trailer. And I've considered installing one on the Extreme trailer to speed up & simplify the loading process a bit.

But there are some things to be concerned about when using a Boat Buddy. Like not hitting it hard when you load. Or being sure to unlock it whenever your trailering the boat any distance at speed. The thing works great but they break easily when you hit it with the boat or hit a bump when its locked down.

To the OP, I'd rewind your winch tighter & see if that makes a difference.

I loved the Boat Buddy on my MC trailer. And I've considered installing one on the Extreme trailer to speed up & simplify the loading process a bit.

But there are some things to be concerned about when using a Boat Buddy. Like not hitting it hard when you load. Or being sure to unlock it whenever your trailering the boat any distance at speed. The thing works great but they break easily when you hit it with the boat or hit a bump when its locked down.

To the OP, I'd rewind your winch tighter & see if that makes a difference.

Good stuff to know...I have hit my buddy pretty hard. :)