Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How Cheap can I get a new I-RIDE??

sjpitts

As I said in my first post, I have long been wanting a new boat. Originally I decided that I wanted a used sunsetter, probably from the mid 90's. I had hoped to find a good one for under 15k.

Although I haven't tried real hard, it seems like finding a sunsetter at this price will be difficult. Most sunsetters, even in the mid 90's seem to be priced significantly higher.

I then discovered that I could buy a Moomba Mobius LS new, with a trailer, tower and the bottom line ballest for around 30k. This got me thinking that maybe instead of looking at used boats I should consider a new "value" boat. I actually like the Mobius in general, although I am not sure about the "flatness" of the rear part of the hull. It seems like it would be rough ride in rough water.

I have since learned that some other boat makers have "value" models, like the I-Ride and Tige Switch I. Since I originally wanted a Sunsetter, the idea of a new I-Ride is very appealing. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the new I-Ride based on the old sunsetter?

So what can I get a cheap, no frills I-Ride for? The only options I would want are a trailer, tower and low level ballast. And maybe a wedge. In fact, I would probably go for a carberated engine if it was available.

Thanks

Jared

From what has been published/posted, the Ride series is the price point boat and there is no negoitiation on the price and the standard equipment is what is on them.

Hopefully, someone can shed more light on the subject.

First off yes the I-ride is the old sunsetter LX (96 and newer), its also the sunkicker, and the wakesetter, I'm thinking they start around 38,900. but could be wrong

Edited by LS-One
the standard equipment is what is on them. 

What do you mean by this? When I looked at the Malibu website it looked to me like you could a ton of different options for the I-Ride. I don't really want these options, other than the ones I mentioned.

And now that I think about it-- I think a tower and basic ballast is standard on the I-Ride, so the only option I would want is a trailer and maybe the basic wedge.

Jared

sjpitts - according to the 2005 Malibu brochure, the i ride comes tower, ballast system, wedge plate (need to add the wedge foil) standard. It also shows the package price with a tandem axle trailer as starting at $34,995.

sjpitts - according to the 2005 Malibu brochure, the i ride comes tower, ballast system, wedge plate (need to add the wedge foil) standard.  It also shows the package price with a tandem axle trailer as starting at $34,995.

That is what I am looking for. And based on what was said above, I take it that this price is likely to be pretty firm?

Of course, this is the 2005 price. Any idea how this will change for 2006?

Since this is TheMalibuCrew I am sure the answer to my next question will be yes-- but I will ask it anyway. Do you think the Malibu I-Ride is worth 5k more than a Mobius LS???

Jared

sjpitts - according to the 2005 Malibu brochure, the i ride comes tower, ballast system, wedge plate (need to add the wedge foil) standard.  It also shows the package price with a tandem axle trailer as starting at $34,995.

That is what I am looking for. And based on what was said above, I take it that this price is likely to be pretty firm?

Of course, this is the 2005 price. Any idea how this will change for 2006?

Since this is TheMalibuCrew I am sure the answer to my next question will be yes-- but I will ask it anyway. Do you think the Malibu I-Ride is worth 5k more than a Mobius LS???

Jared

I think so, but that's subjective for sure. You should go look at & drive both, that way you can make that decision for yourself. Of course if you buy used then you can get a lot more for your money.

Do you think the Malibu I-Ride is worth 5k more than a Mobius LS???

Jared

Only you can be the judge after spending some time in them. One item to keep in mind is the dealer support for each brand. I'd certainly put that into the equation.

As for the i-ride price, my guess is that you'll have a tough time finding one sitting around your dealer with no options...most will add board racks, maybe a bimini or Perfect Pass too. If you do find the stripper you're looking for, don't expect it to be discounted much. good luck...

I think one of the biggest pieces of junk I saw at the boat show was Tige's 'value' line Switch. Talk about spartan. Geez. It was stripped down to the extreme. The vinyl was awful and the seats were extremely uncomfortable. The dash looked like what a middle school kid would come up with after scrounging around in the junk yard, but not as cool. I saw no value in the 'value line' at Tige.

The Moomba is at least a nice looking boat. They save on lots of things like fit, finish, and vinyl, but still all in all a nice boat.

I think one of the biggest pieces of junk I saw at the boat show was Tige's 'value' line Switch.

I agree. The underside of the dash had a hollow cheap feel to it. Maybe because carpet is an option IIRC. Reminded me of one of those late 70's center console fishing boats.

I am not sure about the "flatness" of the rear part of the hull. It seems like it would be rough ride in rough water.

Welcome to the world of inboards....especially direct drives. If smooth ride is you main obj. an inboard may not be your best bet. However, we just spent a week and a half on a large lake that can be a bit rough from time to time at places. We would fill up the ballast and cruise at about 25 mph and do just fine. The rougher ride is a trade off for having boat made for watersports.

As for price, you might be able to find some 05s that dealers are wanting to move. I think a lot of dealers will be getting 06 boats in and need more room and need to move some product. The longer that they hold on to them this time of year, they might be more willing to deal on price.

Our local dealer had an Iride on a s/a trailer in the shop last time I was in. Don't know if they still have it. Here is a link:

Wilson Watersports

I'd look at the '03 and '04 Wakesetter direct drives. Basically the same boat but you should be able to get a bunch of the extras included.

As a matter of fact there is a BEAUTIFUL yellow '04 I-Ride for sale on this web site. Better than new, actually (and in all seriousness). Take a look at Tracie's boat here (LINK).

Of course it says Wakesetter on the side and IMO is a better looking boat.

No relation to the seller but I have had the privilege of riding in and behind it.

Cheers,

Mike

Do you think the Malibu I-Ride is worth 5k more than a Mobius LS???

Look them both over carefully and I think you'll find your answer. I'd look at a used Malibu first, as you get more for your money. I looked at the boat show this year at the V-ride (comparing it to the VLX). If you went with the Vride with standard options you'd save a bunch of money- but when you start adding features the price climbs into the VLX range. I'm sure the I-Ride would be the same way.

A two year old Malibu that's been well cared for is what I'd be hunting for. (I know several people who bought ddrives and sold them to go to V drives after getting hooked on wakeboarding.) Buying used would likely mean you have more features - essentials like racks, heaters and hot water showers. Part of the question to ask yourself is what would be the better value after your first season - a one year old Mobius or a three year old Malibu?

I had an '01 VLX....loved it...it went to a great home...it sold for $32K...my old neighbor had an '00/'01 Moomba Mobius (not sure of the exact model designation other than being a Mobius direct drive). Took his Mobius out for the day on the river....really really dissappointed...with 5 fairly large individuals (excluding the 150 lb owner/driver), full coolers, fat sacs, etc...we could NOT get a nicely shaped wake...no matter where the ballast (people, coolers, sacs, etc) were place the wake was fairly fluffy...it had a little bit of shape, but I'd cut out, hit it and typically just carve right through it....really sad. The owner (the 150 pounder) didn't care...he flew. Just my observation...I'm sure the hull design has changed...at least I hope that it would.

Demo demo demo whatever you buy! BTW - I wanted to make *absolutely* sure that the couple that bought my boat loved it...we did about 3 demos total, one of them being a full afternoon on the boat, both boarding and chilling.

my .02 on the moomba/malibu comparison. Am I biased? Surely..but at one time I was objective!

The malibu is just a much sweeter ride in terms of fit/finsih, construction, std. fuel injuection (even though you said you probably wouldn't get it, it's standard, and definitley a big plus). Wakes are better, it looks way better, and you ALMOST retain all of the price difference in resale. In other words, you're getting a 0% loan on the price difference while getting to enjoy superior craftsmanship. Plus, access to themalibucrew.com for anything you could ever need! No brainer IMNTSHO

A quick look at the upholstry quality and workmanship would settle the difference...Having said that, the Moomba is an equally good "value" considering that you are paying considerably less

A quick look at the upholstry quality and workmanship would settle the difference...Having said that, the Moomba is an equally good "value" considering that you are paying considerably less

I own a Moomba Mobius. Here is my take. Moomba's have crept up in price. You can easily drop $45k on one. When I purchased my boat three years ago, Moomba's were far more reasonable. The fit and finish is purposedly kept down as not to compete with Supra. As far as reliability, I have 60 hours on my boat and it has never seen the repair shop. If you can get a bu for a few thousand more, I would do it and them add the options that I wanted later. You are still comparing apples to oranges but as the Moomba's creep up in price and the Malibu keeps the entry level boat, entry level price, there is less of a gap.....and a very easy decision. Malibu

Resale value on the Malibu without a doubt will be higher

There is a flipside to this argument. If the resale is lower on a Moomba then that means a used Moomba will generally be a better deal. Assuming you don't sell it again. . . .

SJP

One thing that I need to caution you on, there is talk that the trailer will not be included for '06. Be sure to ask about that when you price them out.

I just purchased a 2005 i-ride after looking seriously at the Moomba. I test drove a Moomba and after having a Malibu there is no comparison. By the way, the 2006 i-ride base price is going up $800.00.