Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

switchblade?

badluck

Do they work better than a wedge?

Sure they work if you wanna take it on and off at the boat ramp oh ya and plan on running with it pulling on your boat all day long. Personaly I like the fact the my wedge is always attached but not always being used.

Edited by liljohn

I saw these things listed on some website back in 2004. I went to the boat show & made a point to go to the Centurion dealer to ask about them. The sales guys had no clue what I was talking about. I picked up one of their sales brochures & rifled thru it finding a picture of the Switchblade. They still had no idea.

I've heard funky things about them but still have never seen one:

- They can be adjusted from the driver's seat to work like a Wedge (like having weight on board), or like a trim tab (pushing stern up, bow down).

- When the driver needs to go in reverse, the Switchblade flops over to one side, making it tough to steer. Once you learn how they work, apparently you can intentionally force it to flop over to the correct side, which will make the boat more predictable in reverse.

The only guys I've ever talked to about them said they liked it way better than a Wedge. They said they loved how the boat still performed well with the Switchblade deployed. But like I said, I've never seen one or driven a boat with one.

Personally I hate how the Wedge makes any Malibu drive. My own Wedge is sitting in the garage & I only use ballast.

For those of us that don't know what it is:

switchblade_we_are_wakesurfing.jpg

Enzo%20Blade.JPG

You can also read about it here.

Looks like is swings with the boat when turning, so I'm sure it helps with handling. Looks like Centurion has broken into the "Wedge" market. I can't say from personal experience, but it might be a better design. It turns with the thrust and is curled up on the edges so that it catches more of the prop's thrust (circular).

From the bottom picture it looks like the hydrolics go down far enough that it's not pulling down on the stern...it's level Dontknow.gif

It doesn't look as cool as the wedge, but might be more functional.

Can anyone comment from experience?

I rode behind an Avalanche that had one a 2-3 years ago, it really works well for surfing. For boarding, I thought that it made the wake too steep. It definately drives better than the wedge does, which doesn't take much. It was adjustable and we didn't mess around with it much, but it made a very noticable difference in the size of the wake. The surf wake was Great!

Have not used it but seen in a boat show.

Two things make me worry:

1. the switchblade sits in the water all time and can not move up like the wedge

2. in reverse it may flip on one side - fully unpredictable- so in reverse

it may like playing Russian roulette just 50/50 the boat may go to left or right side

2. in reverse it may flip on one side - fully unpredictable- so in reverse

it may like playing Russian roulette just 50/50 the boat may go to left or right side

Centurion owners have told me this is the case if your a complete rookie driver. A driver with a clue will sort of "whip" the Switchblade to one side, then go into reverse, similar to how you whip your back end towards the dock, then hit reverse to suck it in close.

Apparently this makes reverse as predictable as ever for an inboard.

I wonder if I hang my anchor off the transom while underway if I'll get the same effect?

Heck, that's what the switchblade looks like to me. It might even work better than my wedge.

If im not mistake, the Switchblade is not Centurions design, it is made by Pivotal Designs. The parts are not even boat specific, so it can even be put on I/O boats if desired... I believe centurion buys it from that company and makes it available as an option.. google Pivotal Designs for more info..

The transom on the Malibu's are reenforced to withstand the power wedge drag...

Also, you need to take off the switchblade when towing...

I ride with one of Centurion pro riders and I've never seen him use it ever. He does use all ballasts and many lead plates. I think nicely distributed weight on Centurion hulls do best. I thought the wake behind his boat was really nice, but still like the BU wake the best. Centurions do seem to put out a top notch surf wake though.

Seems like now I have an option for my 94 Euro F3 since the mailbu wedge would not work on my hull. Might think about it.....

AF1

I wouldn't recommend it and neither would Malibu wedge or the switchblade.

If im not mistake, the Switchblade is not Centurions design, it is made by Pivotal Designs. The parts are not even boat specific, so it can even be put on I/O boats if desired... I believe centurion buys it from that company and makes it available as an option.. google Pivotal Designs for more info..

The transom on the Malibu's are reenforced to withstand the power wedge drag...

Also, you need to take off the switchblade when towing...

I think you're right. I seem to remember that this thing was originally built as an aftermarket item that could be retrofitted to any inboard (not sure about a runabout & how that would work). 2004 sounds right.

Seems like now I have an option for my 94 Euro F3 since the mailbu wedge would not work on my hull. Might think about it.....

AF1

I wouldn't recommend it and neither would Malibu wedge or the switchblade.

Agreed, I am just going to stick with weight and deal with what I have.....

AF1