Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'01 VLX diamond vs. '08 VTX diamond -slalom

Arctic Slalom

is the new VTX on diamond about the same slalom wake as the 01' SSVLX w/ diamond?

the 01' VLX is the only VLX w/ diamond hull, correct?

just curious? Dontknow.gif

'01 Sunsetter VLX is on the diamond, '01 Wakesetter VLX is not - be careful on that one. '01 SS VLX, '01-'04 Sunscape 21' LSV are all the same in terms of hull. I can't comment on the rest since I have no firsthand experience & won't offer speculation.

I think you can get a vlx with either the diamond OR the wake hull, though most will be the wake hull.

'01 Sunsetter VLX is on the diamond, '01 Wakesetter VLX is not - be careful on that one. '01 SS VLX, '01-'04 Sunscape 21' LSV are all the same in terms of hull. I can't comment on the rest since I have no firsthand experience & won't offer speculation.

I would say, your best bet is to find a way to ski behind both of them, unless word of advise is all your looking for Dontknow.gif When we bought our XTi we demo'd over 6 boats before making the decision and I'm really glad we did. The only complaint I have about the XTi is that it has a very uncomfortable interior design but does the job (as a true crossover boat) I need it to do :)

I think you can get a vlx with either the diamond OR the wake hull, though most will be the wake hull.

Back then that option didn't exist. It didn't start until either '05 or '06 ('06 for sure, they might have started late in '05).

I would say, your best bet is to find a way to ski behind both of them, unless word of advise is all your looking for Dontknow.gif When we bought our XTi we demo'd over 6 boats before making the decision and I'm really glad we did. The only complaint I have about the XTi is that it has a very uncomfortable interior design but does the job (as a true crossover boat) I need it to do :)

i was just hoping there was a slalom skier out there who has skied behind an '01 SSVLX diamond and can compare it to a VTX w/ diamond... Dontknow.gif

i agree, i'd certainly drive/ski before i buy.

I don't know that there are going to be that many that have a lot of time behind both of those boats. With that said, I think that you should be able to garner a lot of insight into each boat by asking for experienced opinions on each hull (without the qualification that they know anything about the other hull). I think that you should be able to extrapolate a lot from that.

I used to own a 2001 SS VLX with a diamond hull and skied behind it many times. I have also skied and driven a 2008 VTX with a cut diamond hull 2 different times, so can make some comparisons.

The '01 was very skiable above about 28-30 mph, though it did have a bit of a harsh bump at 15 off. It also had a really good wakeboarding wake and an ok surf wake.

The VTX had a softer ski wake above 30-32 mph than the SS VLX. IMO the VTX has a better ski wake. I and my crew didn't think much of the wakeboarding wake however. It is wide and shaped very different than my WS VLX. Maybe we could get used to it, but we didn't like it. It does, however, have a great surf wake and handles like a sports car. The SS VLX handled well, but nothing like how the VTX handles.

Hope this helps.

Agree with obski. I've only skied behind the VTX with cut diamond once, and that was at 30-34 MPH at the harsh length of 22 off. It has a little softer wake and a little less trough than the '01 VLX, especially at 30 MPH. I didn't ski the VTX at 28 off, which is my normal free skiing line length. It looks to be about the same size wake only I'd imagine like at 22, it's a little softer. Below 30 MPH, the VTX is likely better also with its width.

For crossover versatility, the 2001 is better. For pure slalom from a V drive with still very respectable crossover performance, the VTX on the Cut Diamond gets the nod.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1004383773.html

thoughts? which tower does this have? is that a titan?

this is a bank repo in minneapolis (i talked w/ the rep tonight)....seems like it is priced right....only 357 hours, original owner.

the boat is sold 'as is' -they won't let me take it to a (dealer) to have it check out? isn't that kinda strange?

Edited by Arctic Slalom

Titan 1, polished. S/A trailer - that would be a serious issue for me, but if you don't tow long distances then it may be fine. Updated graphics. Definitely a diamond hull from the one pic. Do you have a list of options? Engine? I can just make out a wedge in the one picture.

Ask them if they'll let a marine surveyor come in & look at it, I can't imagine them saying no to that. They probably just don't want it out of their site.

Titan 1, polished. S/A trailer - that would be a serious issue for me, but if you don't tow long distances then it may be fine. Updated graphics. Definitely a diamond hull from the one pic. Do you have a list of options? Engine? I can just make out a wedge in the one picture.

Ask them if they'll let a marine surveyor come in & look at it, I can't imagine them saying no to that. They probably just don't want it out of their site.

WG,

is that a little to much boat for a single trailer, or is that particular trailer an issue? I usually take one long (1000 mile round trip) per year. Otherwise it is only 5-15 miles to all of our typical lakes. We have a tandem on our current SS and the trailer has been very, very good.

What is the issue with the trailer?

thanks for your help about the tower, etc; it's gonna be tough for me to look at it till Friday. It might be gone by then.

later,

CR

I don't think that the trailer itself is the issue, just the fact that it's a S/A. I think that whether it's too much boat for a S/A is up to debate, but at very least I would check with your state laws to see what weight is acceptable for a S/A to carry. Without the 1000 mile trip, it sounds like it would be fine for you. But going that far....do your research first, particularly since you're coming from a T/A. If it were the newer VLX then I think I'd pass, but that older hull is enough lighter that it may be fine for you.

• 3 weeks later...
We have one of those on a SA trailer, however we never tow it more than an hour. Otherwise, we'd have TA for sure. Too much blowout risk with the SA.

I have an 18' stern drive on a single axle trailer right now, and it's the largest boat I'd ever have on an SA. I've had several blowouts on SAs and a couple on TAs (we drive from Missouri to Lake Powell, Utah every year...), and when you DO blowout on SAs, it's definitely hairier. I'm going to go TA from now on.

We have one of those on a SA trailer, however we never tow it more than an hour. Otherwise, we'd have TA for sure. Too much blowout risk with the SA.

You guys are soft, a S/A is fine for an older VLX, carry a spare, check your tire pressure and go boating. I really believe that the saftey in towing really comes from the tow vehicle. I'd rather tow a new VLX with a S/A and a 3/4 ton pickup than one on a tandem with a mid-sized SUV.