Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Helmets for water sports

LouDoc

I finally ordered a helmet after reading all the foil group discussion guys recommend them. My ProTec Ace Wake Helmet arrived last week and after a few days here's the verdict: This thing is awsome! I'm just learning to get some air on the foil and I've had a number of falls that I know would have given me the instant session-ending headache. There was still enough impact to encourage me not to make the same mistake the next time, but no true bell-ringers.

The helmet floats nicely and has nice thick padding. I got the model with the ear pieces to avoid the ear drum ruptures and this does cut down on your hearing while the helmet is on - but the trade off is worth it. One of the snaps to the ear piece pops off frequently on falls but it's a cinch to snap it back in place.

I haven't wakeboarded with it yet as I'm still recovering from my knee surgery in May, but I have every intention of wearing when I resume. I think it will also relieve a little apprehension about inverts knowing there's a bit of protection (I gave myself a concussion on a failed back roll last year).

As an ear, nose, and throat doctor I've started recommending helmets to my eardrum perforation patients. In fact, the guy who I saw yesterday was on his third perforation from slalom mishaps. As I was talking to him it occured to me that when I grew up no one wore a bike helmet - now it's the norm. Ditto for snow skiing and snowboarding. So why has it not become standard behind a boat? Just because it's water - doesn't mean it's going to be soft when you get there! So do yourself a favor and protect the one body part that can't be fixed.

LouDoc,

I couldn't agree more, I have started wearing the same helmet and love it. Here and there I forget and immediately realize I am missing something when I get out there. It's weird as it's become part of my riding gear as much as my bindings. I tend to fall hard (I'm trying to get sponsored by Advil) and you're right on, numerous falls that used to end a session I ride right thru.

I've past the age where looking cool on the water is required, I vote for the brain bucket!

It's hard to disagree with the advice, although I have not yet started wearing a helmet. My daughter wears one whenever she is trying inverts or spins. Another member of our crew always wears one.

We had a real bad weekend a month or so ago where all of us got that wipeout day-ending headache. I have since bought helmets for myself, my wife, and two others (small and XLarge) for those visitors with abnormal head sizes! :) Only time you don't have to wear one behind my boat is if you're doing something you're completely comfortable with in good conditions. It makes everyone happier at the end of the day when all you crave is food without the ibuprofen chaser.

We had a real bad weekend a month or so ago where all of us got that wipeout day-ending headache. I have since bought helmets for myself, my wife, and two others (small and XLarge) for those visitors with abnormal head sizes! :) Only time you don't have to wear one behind my boat is if you're doing something you're completely comfortable with in good conditions. It makes everyone happier at the end of the day when all you crave is food without the ibuprofen chaser.

Have not bought mine YET...but have been meaning too after spending an entire day in a daze a few weeks ago...

Of all the items I ride behind the boat, the hydrofoil is the one where the helmet is most beneficial. I have a Gath helmet that I have been quite happy with. I have had a ProTec on order for 3 months.

I still don't use the helmet everytimg I go out but whenever I am considering invert attempts I use the helmet. I feel much safer (and therefore more aggressive) when wearing the helmet. It comes in handy when wakeboarding too. I wouldn't wear it barefooting or slalom skiing for fear that it might catch and cause excess strain on the neck. Slower devices seem to be better suited to helmets.

Jeff/Airchair1

Count me in on the helmet convert list. I got a Protec water helmet myself, and it is the best money I have spent to date on watersports. I also agree that it makes me ride a little more aggressively because I know it's not gonna hurt as bad when I crash. Whether that is a good thing or not, well, the jury is still out on that one.

Daniel

I've been wearing the ProTec with the ear flappers for a couple of months now. I haven't had too many crashes where I thought that it was beneficial, but enough to make it more than worth it. The worst one was this past weekend - it was a really nasty head slapper on a normal w2w crossing that I'm quite sure would have normally had me climbing/being helped into the boat. As it was, I felt fine & got up for several more runs before I was done. I had a slight headache as we headed home, but was fine the next day. It had me wondering at how bad it would have been without the helmet.

Now the only thing that I don't wear it for is surfing.

• 3 weeks later...

I started wearing the Gath & then the Protec after going thru 2 concussions..... serious, lights out, blowin bubbles, everyone else had to drag my limp body back in the boat blowouts. I didn't have much problem recovering but figured that if I was gonna keep my day job, I'd better either start wearing one or stop doin tricks on my Sky Ski. I definitely feel safer on it too, and my riding this summer has shown that I ride a LOT more agressively.

Now days everyone who comes with us tends to wear one. This weekend a guy riding wakeskate got clocked & then thought maybe it would be a good idea for him to get one too......... duh.

Laugh away, you should see what color my leg is, or how big it swelled up, or the knot on my head. I wouldn't have this knot had I worn mine.

Just givin ya $hit...

I would have tossed you mine if I new you were going to try a W2W in bad chop the first time you tried a wake skate Surprised.gif:Doh:Dontknow.gifFrustrated.gifRTFM.gifHelp.gif

PS...

The helmet wouldn't have helped the leg...