Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

00 Sunsetter VLX or 02 Wakesetter VLX? What do I do?

osumrall

Hello everyone. Im new to the crew and currently looking to get into a new (to me) boat. After spending countless hours reading through this forum, I had made the the whole heartedly decision to buy a Malibu. Im currently torn between two awesome boats, and would like some feedback. Please comment on the good and bad of both and include opinions. I live on Allatoona in north Atlanta, spend time on the water religiously (20-30 hrs a week) and dedicated to hardcore wakeboarding and some crazy slalom action. I will list the boats and features of both below, but I have laid eyes on the OO and have my heart set on it, but the 02 is a little less expensive. Please show me the path to glory!!!

2000 Sunsetter VLX $24,500

Boat is in EXCELLENT condition clean and well kept. Options Included are:

Hot/Cold Shower, PerfectPass, MLS (center ballast only), Rear sacs w/ pump, Tandem Malibu trailer w/ disc brakes, Factory tower, Bimini, Kicker Speakers inside, Titan 6x9's on the tower, bow filler cushion, 321 hours, ski and board racks, sweet, black gel coat action, newly skinned cushions, depth guage, amp and sub, custom cover fitted for tower.

2002 Wakestter VLX $21,500

I havn't laid eyes on this one yet, but I am told its in excellent condition. Options inlude:

Titan Tower, tower speakers, MLS (3 plumbed tanks), custom cover fitted for tower, single axle trailer, new skins on cushions, PerfectPass, Wedge, fiberglass swim step, and 500+ hours, beautiful blue gel coat. Had prop and shaft replaced after it hit something.

Whats more important, with or without the wedge? Newer year model, or higher hours? Single or Tandem trailer? Both boats are very nice, although I like the option of the wedge, plumbed ballast, newer model and lower price, BUT, on the other hand, I prefferr the black, the tandem trailer, the nicer cover and bimini, lower hours, never hit anything, plus the heater and shower option (not important, but a plus), and lower hours. What is a man to do in this situation?

Please help.

Welcome to the crew!

Those 2 boats sit on the same hull.

Personally, I like the wedge and don't think 500 hours is too high - it's about 70/year.

The newer boat for fewer $$$ will be the better deal & the Wakesetter sets the standard for wakeboard wakes so would be leaning towards that based on your stated usage. You can make quite a few upgrades/repairs/fill-ups for that difference.

Some more questions to help those who will be making recommendations...

Which engines are in each?

How far do you intend to tow?

Do you need to maneuver the boat in tight places?

Check out the area around the strut on the 02 to make sure there's no damage/strut bend.

Neither one will be a very good slalom boat, but both should be great for wakeboarding. I would go for the newer boat for $3000 less, plus, even though they are on the same hull, the Wakesetter with a wedge, is going to have a better resale value. There really isn't much of a difference in the hours. I would want to know something about the maintenance that was given these boats as that would be more important than the number of hours. I believe that there is also a difference in the seating layout between the 2000 and the 2002 model year, so something else to check into. Either way, sounds like a good deal for you.

It isn't very hard or expensive to add a heater and/or a shower.

Replacing the prop and shaft are not a big deal, though you might want to have the motor alignment checked out.

Welcome to the crew!

Those 2 boats sit on the same hull.

Personally, I like the wedge and don't think 500 hours is too high - it's about 70/year.

The newer boat for fewer $$$ will be the better deal & the Wakesetter sets the standard for wakeboard wakes so would be leaning towards that based on your stated usage. You can make quite a few upgrades/repairs/fill-ups for that difference.

Some more questions to help those who will be making recommendations...

Which engines are in each?

How far do you intend to tow?

Do you need to maneuver the boat in tight places?

Check out the area around the strut on the 02 to make sure there's no damage/strut bend.

good question about towing distance. The tandem trailer is much more desirable if you are going to be towing alot.

Thanks for the feedback. I think both boats have the EFI Monsoon. I know the one that had repairs had the prop, shaft and strut replaced by the dealer. In most cases I never tow more than about 3 miles and on "long trips" I dont tow more than 120 miles round trip. I will be manuvering in tight places as well, so I guess the single axle would be better for that, but the tnadems look sweet!

Edited by osumrall
Thanks for the feedback. I think both boats have the EFI Monsoon. I know the one that had repairs had the prop, shaft and strut replaced by the dealer. In most cases I never tow more than about 3 miles and on "long trips" I dont tow more than 120 miles round trip. I will be manuvering in tight places as well, so I guess the single axle would be better for that, but the tnadems look sweet!

with the difference in the price you could always buy a tandem and sell the single. so i wouldn't factor that into the equation. Perfect pass and the wedge are both about a $1k addition each.

i would go with the newer one and swap buy another trailer. edit... i just realized you said 3 miles... not 3 hours... i wouldn't buy a different trailer unless you have a smallish tow vehicle.

Edited by scott_fx