Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Higher power Ballast?

Jimmypooh

It's a lot more expensive than your standard ballast pump but you would have to weight out the benefits of filling and emptying time wise! When we are out there waiting to fill ballast we just get ready and set everything up so it's not like we are having to wait a long time to fill Dontknow.gif I wouldn't go through all the work to change out what I already have set up. Just my $.02

I was wondering if anyone has tried this as a ballast pump or found anthing that's over 2000gph.

31AUqqNWX-L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Rule 3700 gph pump

I guess it's overkill, but why not? Biggrin.gif

It's listed as a bilge pump, but seems like it might work.

I'd rather pay this much and not have to worry about replacing it when it goes out and still get 1200gph:

http://www.wakeside.com/product/boat/balla...ballast+pump.do

It's a lot more expensive than your standard ballast pump but you would have to weight out the benefits of filling and emptying time wise! When we are out there waiting to fill ballast we just get ready and set everything up so it's not like we are having to wait a long time to fill Dontknow.gif I wouldn't go through all the work to change out what I already have set up. Just my $.02

Very true, but like hottrodders and Tim Allen said "MORE POWER." Rockon.gif

I'd be careful from that picture. The label on the pictured item clearly says it's a fuel filter/water separator, not a 3700 gph pump.

Edit: If you desregard the picture I also think to actually run 3700 gph you'd have to have some pretty big pipe as well as a big thru hull, otherwise you wouldn't achieve the stated flow rate anyway.

Edited by CedarLakeSkier
I'd be careful from that picture. The label on the pictured item clearly says it's a fuel filter/water separator, not a 3700 gph pump.

Edit: If you desregard the picture I also think to actually run 3700 gph you'd have to have some pretty big pipe as well as a big thru hull, otherwise you wouldn't achieve the stated flow rate anyway.

great catch, didn't even see that Thumbup.gif

great catch, didn't even see that Thumbup.gif

I think they have the wrong photo to go with the ad, the description says for use as washdown or livewell circulation pump.

The comment about larger thru hull size and fittings is accurate as it uses 1.5" hose.

Pete, what are your thoughts on the reversible pumps? Right now I have all 4 sacks on pumps, 3 with aerators and one with a jabsco. The jabsco takes some serious amperage...even with a hipo alternator and optima blue top. Personally I think aerators are far better if your going to be pumping some serious water all at once with multiple pumps.

Hey Matt,

I don't have any real first hand experience with the reversible. We had a discussion about them on here a long time ago and the name "water puppy" just always stuck in my head. In fact, I think the thing the original discussion was on was how far up the pump would pull water instead of having to be below the water line.

I also think the right reversible pump has a higher flow rate, the link I put up was just the first one I found on line. I know they're more money but, some people prefer the simplicity of one pump. I suppose if I were installing a ballast system into a boat that had no existing ballast system with wires, switches, hoses, and thru-hull fittings, I'd consider a reversible pump for the convenience of one pump, less wiring and only a below water line inlet needed.

Friend of mine has an MB with the Jabsco pumps. The pumps seem really nice and do pump fast. I am more interested in how long they last, because they are 4 times the cost of an aerator pump.

John, the newest ones with the colored impellers should last you for a long time (I have a replacement yellow impeller for mine, but I heard they have like a green or some other color which is supposed to have an even longer life). I personally have an older version that I have that's Tee'd off the center sack pump for filling a bow sack. I have had it two seasons and its still using the same impeller. I have to look at the connection at the pump though because its starting to get finicky when starting up. I think its from a few too many dubs. BTW I think I got well into the 20's (maybe even 30's) of days I used my boat for the past two seasons. I keep track making sure my season pass pays off. Usually each trip is less than 4 hrs and the pumps run twice each trip...every trip. So that's 80 cycles so far. (2 per trip, 40 trips in 2 years)

Pete, personally I lean towards the Aerator for a few reasons. I am not trying to start anything, just filling you in on what I have found, since knowledge is power :)

One, having both, the Jabsco sucks a TON of juice from my alternator, especially upon start up and getting those vanes moving. I have ZERO confidence that I could run 4 of the Jabsco's at the same time. Right now with 3 aerators and a Jabsco I have to bump up my idle to about 1k to keep it from draining the battery while I am sacking up with nothing else drawing current. That's WITH a Hi-Po alternator, thick wiring to the pumps and an optima blue top. FWIW I am running 0 gauge wires for my battery and Alternator lines.

Two: Those things push a lot more pressure, meaning you need to really watch what your filling EVERY TIME otherwise your basically creating a hydraulic ram (if the sack is larger than the compartment) causing some serious problems.

Three: They cannot run dry (unless the new ones have this ability) so you have to watch all your sacks while you empty. Personally I like being able to turn on the aerators, walk away and come back when things are bone dry not having to pay attention to the sacks emptying status.

Overall I like the idea of cleaner wiring, etc. with reversible pumps and would have opted to do the same before I knew what I know now.

BTW we still gotta meet up and check out each other's boats! Thumbup.gif

BTW we still gotta meet up and check out each other's boats! Thumbup.gif

Yes we do!

I'm off work for the week of Mar. 30.

Will be busy with a track day the Monday and Tuesday but, rest of the week I'm free.

Pretty much anything between now and april 15th is bad. haha. Tax season is well on its way!

Post 4-15 I am up for a meeting. I also usually hit of McClure every year for memorial day. However based on water levels that may change.