Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Strut Bent Maybe?

Looks bent look for stress cracks around the strut housing. If your lucky you may only have to replace the strut Biggrin.gif

Yeah thats what I thought. There is no stress cracks or an damage underneath that I could see. It looks like the drive shaft needs replaced as well. Its pretty grooved from the strut bearings. How could it get bent? Torque from the motor maybe?

Definitely bent to port side, from looks of pic taken in line with shaft. Whenever I ding a prop, it usually bends strut a little. I'm guessing you dinged a prop sometime, fixed it, and didn't notice the bent strut. Boat would likely run fine until strut bushing wore.

First time I bent a strut I replaced it with new. Second time, my prop guy straightened it for $50. He told me he mounted it on work bench, drew a line on bench to indicate proper shaft position, then used a wood dowel (broom handle) in strut to bend back in line. The strut is soft and easily rebent with a little muscle. It has worked great since.

By the way, I also noticed later that I had also bent my rudder a little. It was kicked back and angled up toward the stern and a little to one side. Steering felt a little wierd, but no other signs. Was not so bent it rubbed the hull. Same guy heated it and straightened it for $50. Had to grind a little on shaft to remove the bump where bend was. Works great, no leaks, steers good.

Moral of story: find good prop shop and they can save you tons over replacement costs. Or buy new, fix old ones and have as spares. Good luck and watch out for those nasty logs!

Thanks, Guys. The owner before me must have dinged a prop or hit something. I will defiantly try to straighten it. If fails I guess I will have to buy a new one.

Thanks, Guys. The owner before me must have dinged a prop or hit something. I will defiantly try to straighten it. If fails I guess I will have to buy a new one.

I would like to know who that Previous Owner guy is......it seems he is responsible for A LOT of damage. Whistling.gif

I have had the boat for the past 2 years. I bought it from a dealer. I have not had any problems with it mechanically. I have put 100+ hours on it. I guess this is what I get for not inspecting the boat very well. Oh well you live and learn. Now I will look a whole lot better if I buy another boat.

Thats a good outlook. 2 years and 100 hassle free hours on a 12 year old boat and you didn't have an inspection and you don't know the previous owner. Overall your sitting pretty good I think. Thats the nice thing about the older ones like yours and mine. Not much to go wrong. Knock on wood of course.