Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 VLX Wakeboard Wake Ballast Set-up

Now a VLX Owner

Hi all,

I am looking for the magic combination of ballast to add to my 2007 VLX to create the best wakeboard wake. My boat has all 4 stock tanks with Power Wedge. I'm currently running Fly High Pro X Series V-Drive Sacs (400 lbs ea) in the rear lockers with all stock ballast full. Usually don't use the wedge.

From what I've read sounds like I should add extra weight up front? How much? Where?

I'm considering adding pop bags in the bow someplace and just leaving them there all the time.

I've got the same set up. I usually need to add 300-400 lbs into the bow to even out the fly highs. For me, the easiest solution was to use free weights strategically placed ( a few 25 lb plates can be slid up into the side undercuts, and some heavy dumbbells on a towel in the walk thru. I think the pop bags would be great, just haven't got them yet. I have also tried plumbing in an additional bow sack, but that causes a few other problems. To me, it's just easier to take the weights in and out each time I go out, since I trailer only a few hundred feet to the launch ramp. I guess if you dock your boat, the sack would be preferable. Hope that helps.

dino7,

Thanks for the info on how much weight to add. I trailer my boat at least 10 miles each time we go out. I don't want to mess with an additional sack up front either. I'm hoping I can get 3 pop bags in each of the side undercuts (3 X 40 lbs + 3 X 40 lbs = 240 lbs) and just leave them there all of the time. Then use 2 or 3 more pop bags either on the bow seat or on the floor walk through area just behind the bow seat. Total added weight will be 320 to 360 lbs. I will move the 2 or 3 pop bags from the front to a rear storage area in the back of the boat (behind tandem axles of trailer) to help offset the extra weight up front during trailering.

Do you use the wedge with your set up?

• 1 month later...

One thing to be aware of is that adding permanent (non-water) weight upfront like that will increase the tongue weight almost linearly. If you're only trailering for 10 miles, and you have a full size tow vehicle it should be fine, but I would be hesitant to drive much further without moving all of the weight over the axles.

Why do you need all that extra weight in the boat for boarding? Are you riding 85' back?

The stock 4 tank ballast and wedge should fine.

I ride 80ft long, at 37 KMH. I have the nex VLX 2009, I use full ballast, Wedge and two fat sacs in the center of the boat that weigth arround 800 Kg. plus 5 people. That set is great.

The ballast depends on what you expect for your boat. Y really want more weigth on my boat and may be a riding at 85 ft so you get a lot of air. The fact I think is to combine weigth and well care of boat and engine to last al lot.

I think my configuration is really good and we get great wakes.

Luciano From argentina.

Why do you need all that extra weight in the boat for boarding? Are you riding 85' back?

Have you ever ridden behind a VLX loaded with extra weight? The fun factor goes way up^^^^^ if you know what I mean. Driving without using the wedge is way better as well.

Have you ever ridden behind a VLX loaded with extra weight? The fun factor goes way up^^^^^ if you know what I mean. Driving without using the wedge is way better as well.

I ride with alot of extra weight in the boat on average 800-1000 lbs over stock and I always use the wedge down. Now with that said I agree with woody also, the average person doesn't need the extra weight. I can do all my tricks behind the boat with stock ballast and I ride at 80' back @ 23.6. But I am not doing Whirly 5's and 720's W2W either.

My setup is usually full ballast, wedge down, about 300-400lbs up front and another 500-600lbs in the middle of the hull. I don't usually add any extra to the back compartments because if I want a steeper wake I just bring the wedge up slightly which drags the back of the boat down slightly. Then I usually have 3-4 people in the boat.

The wedge does help with adjustment on transom depth if you have the weight equally balanced. But I agree without the wedge the ramp is much smoother, but the wake is also much smaller :)

Acutally, he has behind my boat w/ 10+ people full factory ballast and the wedge. Extra weight just really isn't necessary IMHO but to each their own. I've added 800 lbs extra and other than wasting gas reall accomplished nothing. Proper technique is tantamount to tricks. Behind my old SLXI no extra weight other than 4 on board and the wedge plenty of tricks have been preformed. Again to each their own....

I have... and there is a certain fun factor that pegs the meter.

But, if you not a pro/semi-pro/advanced rider IMO your just waiting to hurt yourself and dumping a lot a cash in the gas tank.