Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Switch Riding

bboozer

I've heard good things about balance boards. I dont like skateboards cause im not a big fan of pavement. Any chance of snowboarding? I was a snowboarder first and that has helped me alot get used to wakeboarding. You could go to a little hill close to you and just practice riding goofy or regular, whichever is switch for you.

Using a skateboard is a good idea, but even better. Get a dry suit and drop the boat in the water. You can practice all you want, and you'll have the whole lake to yourself.

Did you guys get any snow today? My wife is back in Camden this week visiting family.

Does anyone have any tips for off-season tips for improving my switch riding? I thought about getting a skateboard and practicing with it.....

Skateboard

Snowboard

Surf (real surfing)

Cable Park

Trampoline w/ rope

All of the above work very well for cross training. I personally am a fan of running around the house in socks and sliding around switch on the hardwood floors. :lol:

If your not planning on getting in the water skateboarding at a skate park would probably be your best bet, it's not exactly the same but finding a good park can simulate the maneuvering part.

Every time we go out boarding I start riding switch until I get tired and then ride regular, then back to switch and work on jumping until I fall. Bottom line, best thing is the actual time on your board.

Does anyone have any tips for off-season tips for improving my switch riding? I thought about getting a skateboard and practicing with it.....

Skateboard

Snowboard

Surf (real surfing)

Cable Park

Trampoline w/ rope

All of the above work very well for cross training. I personally am a fan of running around the house in socks and sliding around switch on the hardwood floors. :lol:

And then touching your cat on the nose. Surprised.gif

Just ride switch as much as possible. I heard of a guy riding a skateboard switch, but I am too old to be riding a skateboard. I have been swinging a gold club switch lately...to get a better fell for pushing off my left foot.

I made a homemade balance board: just a 2x6 with a 3" block in the center. Place it on another 2x6 or 4x6 perpendicular to the balance board. That will get you off the floor a bit more. When your on it, orient yourself like your riding switch. You could also hook up a stretch cord to a door knob and work on pulling it towards your hip while your balancing.

Just got to make yourself ride switch everytime out on the water...

Off-season routine is good if you get one of the gigantic skateboards that is more like a surfer.

Balance board wont do much for switch as there is no motion creating the switch feeling (aside from getting on/off the board). Jbucks list is pretty good. I personally ride switch as often as possible while wakeboarding, snowboarding, skating, etc. ...trying to link tricks without having to perform ollie 180's.

The only way is to ride switch. Think about your stance, hand placement, the way your knees are bent, pretty much everything, while your riding normal and then do a 180 and ride switch thinking about all the above and makeing sure your in that position. I hated to ride switch and then a friend of mine told me I couldn't get back in the boat until I rode across the lake switch. It sucked then but I am glad she made me do it now. Off the water training I would suggest holding onto a handle and practicing body position. Good luck

Might sound weird, but it helped me. Try shadow boxing switched and also front kicks and side kicks switched. Helps with balance and putting weight on your back hip when switched. Side kicks worked the best because the position of your body is very similar to wakeboarding.

Thanks for all the tips... I am going to have to force myself into riding switch more when I get back out on the water in the spring..... And I will try all the tips in here as well....

Using a skateboard is a good idea, but even better. Get a dry suit and drop the boat in the water. You can practice all you want, and you'll have the whole lake to yourself.

Did you guys get any snow today? My wife is back in Camden this week visiting family.

We got flurries and it snowed from about 7 or 8 AM until about 2:30 or 3, but here in Columbia we never got anything sticking at all...... Not even enough to scrape up and make 1 snowball.... But, they had cancelled all the schools the day before when there was a THREAT of snow..... and snow reports were taking over the news even more than the inaugeration

The bright light at the end of the switch tunnel is that tricks come A LOT easier. W2W is rediculously easier as are anything involving half cabs. After learning a half cab and regular HS R2R I landed my third try at a switch R2R! It comes around really quickly.

Skateboard

Snowboard

Surf (real surfing)

Cable Park

Trampoline w/ rope

Let's leave that to Heidi Klum....... Whistling.gif

Skateboard

Snowboard

Surf (real surfing)

Cable Park

Trampoline w/ rope

I couldn't agree more!! Thumbup.gif

Skateboard

Snowboard

Surf (real surfing)

Cable Park

Trampoline w/ rope

I couldn't agree more!! Thumbup.gif

ROFL.gifThumbup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

set your stance to be neutral this summer. Have sets where you only ride switch, sadly the only way to learn switch is to do it! The more you ride that way, the more natural it feels. I'm really working hard on getting everything I've got regular, switch this year. Ended my season with a switch backroll, my switch toeside is feeling good so I'm hoping to try a switch crow this summer and then work into a switch toe 3. We'll see how that goes. My wake to wake switch feels just about as good as my regular these days.