Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gauges Problems

jetskipro550

The gauges in our boat have been acting up the last few times out. When I shift out of nuetral all the gauges are pinned (i.e. the gas reads full, the temp reads 240, volts read all the way up, etc, etc, etc) Then when I shift back into nuetral they will drop all down to nothing. This only happens part of the time, the rest of the time they all work fine except for the temp gauge. Whenever the boat isn't in nuetral the temp gauge stays pinned at 240. I know for sure that it isn't that high and once in nuetral it drops back to 160-165ish. The only thing that I can think of that could cause this is a ground problem but I really have no idea. Has anyone else had a problem such as this or does anyone know how I can fix it?

Thanks, Patrick

I disconnected the wires to the MDC, cycled the ignition, then reconnected the wires, and the temp gauge has been fine ever since. Early this season, we were having problems with the temp gauge climbing up to the 240 mark, even though the actual engine temp (verified with my IR Heat Gun) was fine...

This is just a guess but, since the problem only occurs when the shifter is in either neutral or not and there is no electrical or mechanical connection between the shifter and guages, I'm guessing the shifter or linkages or cables are rubbbing against something at the control unit.

I'd take a peek under the dash and have someone shift between the whole range.

I disconnected the wires to the MDC, cycled the ignition, then reconnected the wires, and the temp gauge has been fine ever since.  Early this season, we were having problems with the temp gauge climbing up to the 240 mark, even though the actual engine temp (verified with my IR Heat Gun) was fine...

Did someone suggest you do this or just do it on a whim? Since doing this no issues at all? interesting...

Patrick, by chance do you have an aftermarket stereo system that draws big amps? If so, running your system at an idle can cause your gauges to act screwy. Your alternator may not be able to produce enough amps causing your gauges to act up. If not, you got me???

Patrick, by chance do you have an aftermarket stereo system that draws big amps? If so, running your system at an idle can cause your gauges to act screwy. Your alternator may not be able to produce enough amps causing your gauges to act up.  If not, you got me???

Yeah I have a pretty big system, but not near as big as some peoples who have a stock alternator. So I don't think that is the problem but it could be. I will definitely look into it. Thanks for the advice!

UWSkier: I will try that when I get back this weekend. I might be PM for a little help if that OK :)

Pistol Pete: I will check on the clearance of all the wires and cables, but from what I remeber everything is okay. It could have moved around though (just put in a new steering cable)

I solved the problem last weekend!!! There were two wires loose attached to a grounding block of some sorts up under the dash. I am not sure which of the wires was causing the problem, maybe both of them. But anyways it fixed the problem with all of the guages. Thanks again for everyones ideas and comments on my problem!