Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

waxing and cleaning

bboozer

I am sure that this has probably been covered before and I am lazy and did not do a search, but I had a few questions about what everyone is using. 1st, I saw that people were using a vinegar solution to clean the water spots and what not off of their boats..... What is the dilution rate? and I assume that it would strip off any wax that was there. 2nd, I stopped by a Supra dealer yesterday (mainly to check out their pro-shop) and he was detailing boats for the upcoming boat show. So, I picked his brain and he was compounding and then he said that he used Lemon Pledge to wax them. He said that it gioves the best shine and was cheap and easy.... I was wondering if anyone was using that and what everyone's thoughts were on this... I was using a Muguire's Spray wax I think....

As a detailer, I will tell you vinegar will remove wax from a boat. If you are looking to keep a good wax job, then get a good all around type wax cleaner. Babes is a decent one, but there are better ones out there on the market. We use a company called P&S. 3M might have something, even McGuires. I used vinegar and water the first year. What a pain. If you are out all day long the water spots get into the gel coat and it is time for some finish restorer. I noticed the Acid wash isn't as effective as buffing. So if your lazy as you say. Vinegar is going to add more work than necessary. I always put 6 coats of wax on every boat through the shop. I also give them some mist wipe. Boats return every year with minimal water spots and still waxed.

If your going to use pledge on a boat, you might as well spray pam on it. That is just to get the shine in the boat to awwwwwwwwwe customers at the boat show. Don't pollute the waterways.

If your going to use pledge on a boat, you might as well spray pam on it. That is just to get the shine in the boat to awwwwwwwwwe customers at the boat show. Don't pollute the waterways.

It's also not going to provide your boat with any real protection, just a short term shine. I would keep your pledge on the wooden furniture where it belongs and a good wax on the boat. Thumbup.gif

That is what I thought... I was just wondering if anyone else was doing it.... I usually give 1 good wax before the start of the season and then jus t a good wipedown when we take it out and that has worked well for me..... The Supra dealer was using the Pledge and I figured that I would ask the Malibu people what they thought..... With my boat being all white, there is not that much depth so and I have not had a big problem with water spots either.... I was just asking

Once you get a good coat of wax on the hull, just apply Babe's Boat Bright when you wipe the boat down at the end of the day. I haven't had to wax the boat in years and it still looks like it just came out of the showroom.

Babe's won't do much for you unless there is a good coat of wax on the boat to start with.

• 2 weeks later...
As a detailer, I will tell you vinegar will remove wax from a boat. If you are looking to keep a good wax job, then get a good all around type wax cleaner. Babes is a decent one, but there are better ones out there on the market. We use a company called P&S. 3M might have something, even McGuires. I used vinegar and water the first year. What a pain. If you are out all day long the water spots get into the gel coat and it is time for some finish restorer. I noticed the Acid wash isn't as effective as buffing. So if your lazy as you say. Vinegar is going to add more work than necessary. I always put 6 coats of wax on every boat through the shop. I also give them some mist wipe. Boats return every year with minimal water spots and still waxed.

I was looking for some stuff out on the market to get the water spots off my boat!

I didn't know if I had to get a new gel coat on it or what. I detail exotic cars for a living and thought I knew everything. Once I started detailing the company's boats I realized how ignorant I was being :unsure:

I put 2 coats of Zymol Marine Carnuba on at the beginning of the season and then lightly spray Babes Boat Bright (bought by the gallon) every time at the end of the day. My boat is White above the rub rail, but mostly Black and Red hull and it looks near showroom new all the time. And I am a picky OCD muther when it comes to my boats.

Have used Pledge before and it seems to leaves FILM, as would be expected. Also the Vinegar, as mentioned, will strip the wax. So after finding my combination, it is ALL I use on my boat.

http://www.zymol.com/marinaboatwax.aspx

It is very expensive, but I am telling you...I have waxed my boat 4X with it and loaned it to my buddy who waxed his boat with it and I have > 1/2 left. GOES A LONG way! Not saying it is the holy grail, rather a product I have had exceptional results with.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Edited by WaveMake'nLSV

Plus1.gif I will second Scott on this one. Zymol is the best wax that I have found for my boat.

I put 2 coats of Zymol Marine Carnuba on at the beginning of the season and then lightly spray Babes Boat Bright (bought by the gallon) every time at the end of the day. My boat is White above the rub rail, but mostly Black and Red hull and it looks near showroom new all the time. And I am a picky OCD muther when it comes to my boats.

Have used Pledge before and it seems to leaves FILM, as would be expected. Also the Vinegar, as mentioned, will strip the wax. So after finding my combination, it is ALL I use on my boat.

http://www.zymol.com/marinaboatwax.aspx

It is very expensive, but I am telling you...I have waxed my boat 4X with it and loaned it to my buddy who waxed his boat with it and I have > 1/2 left. GOES A LONG way! Not saying it is the holy grail, rather a product I have had exceptional results with.

Hope this helps,

Scott