Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wax Recommendations

I have used Starbrite Premium Marine Polish with PTFE in the past and really liked it. Goes on easily and comes off very easily and lasts long as well. I have seen several people highly recommend 3M Marine Ultra Performance Paste Wax and Collinite Heavy Duty Paste Fleetwax 885. Can anyone give me a comparison or recommendation as to which product is the best. I don't like waxes that are hard to get off by hand. I would rather wax my BU 3-4 times per summer with an easy to use wax than once with a wax that is a bear to use.

Thanks for any input.

Shade

Some good wax discussions going on here....

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....mp;#entry286542

I have never used 3M wax, but I can tell you that when doing body work I use 3M products all the time and can say if it has their logo on it it is probably a good product.

I am a Collinites fan and use it on all the vehicles as well as the boat. The previous owner did the samel and it has kept the boat looking like new for 20 years without wetsanding or gel coat restoration.

I think Collinites is easy to put on as well as take off. I have used Turtle Wax(paste type in a can) once and it was terribly difficult to remove. Collinites also lasts a long time as well. I highly recommend it!

NUFINISH doesnt stand a chance compared to COLLONITE!

COLLONITE has been proven to be one of the longest lasting/durable sealants/wax on the market!

The looks of collonite arent the greatest but for 20$ the durability and protection especiallaly on a boat thats exposed to water every day cant be beat!

COLLONITE has been proven to be one of the longest lasting/durable sealants/wax on the market!

The looks of collonite arent the greatest but for 20$ the durability and protection especiallaly on a boat thats exposed to water every day cant be beat!

What do you mean when you say the looks aren't the greatest? I have never heard of Collonite before. Where can you buy it? And isn't NuFinish a polish? So if you use NuFinish, don't you actually have to follow up with a wax to fully protect the getcoat?

Edited by Sunscape fan

What do you mean when you say the looks aren't the greatest? I have never heard of Collonite before. Where can you buy it? And isn't NuFinish a polish? So if you use NuFinish, don't you actually have to follow up with a wax to fully protect the getcoat?

He means you won;t quite get the deep shine of a polish. I do have to agree with him. Collinites wax is awesome for long term protection of your stuff. I think Collinites wax it gives my boat a fantastic shine and deserves the credit for the 20 year old gel coat looking new and repelling water and spotting like a ducks back. Thumbup.gif

http://www.collinite.com/

Distributors...

http://www.collinite.com/distributors.htm

I know that is a very non-complete list of distributors. I use their Insulator Wax No 845 on the cars and boat (its the same as their marine was) and I get it at a local hardware store called Trader Horn. Our local auto parts store carries it as well. I did order the Fiberglass Boat Cleaner No 920 online....

They have pretty good prices here....

http://www.autogeek.net/collinite.html

I believe that Starbrite Premium Marine Polish w/ PTFE and NuFinish are essentially the same product. I have used both in the past and both have the same color, consistency, and smell.

Does anyone have an opinion on Collinite 885. Its a paste. I prefer paste wax to liquids, but don't want something thats hard to remove especially if it is left on too long. IMO all waxes are easy to put on (and I have used a lot of them). Its the rubbing off that makes the difference.

Shade

I like the combination of Nu-finish followed by a hand buffed job with Gliptone Carnuba paste wax. The Gliptone is supposed to have the highest concentration of carnuba available in a wax. It is made on the east coast (Long Island), so not sure about availability nationwide. I have used this combination on my 1970 Winner from the days when Nufinish was first introduced and I still get constant compliments on my Winners finish even though it is a 40 year old salt water boat. Because of its age, it usually needs two polishings with the Nu-finish, one if I can get to it monthly. Salt water operators know how tough a salt environment can be.

edit; Winner boats were the first 100% fiberglass boats made, with the 100% glass construction dating back to the mid 60's. Seat bases were the only wood in the boat.

Edited by electricjohn
I believe that Starbrite Premium Marine Polish w/ PTFE and NuFinish are essentially the same product. I have used both in the past and both have the same color, consistency, and smell.

Does anyone have an opinion on Collinite 885. Its a paste. I prefer paste wax to liquids, but don't want something thats hard to remove especially if it is left on too long. IMO all waxes are easy to put on (and I have used a lot of them). Its the rubbing off that makes the difference.

Shade

From my experience with the Collinite products, as long as you don't put it on super thick and allow it enough time to fully set up before rubbing off, they come off really easy (way easier than Turtle Wax) and leave the boat super smooth. Thumbup.gif Collinites is a great wax and will really protect your boat well.

Shade

I used the 885 on my old boat and thought it did a very good job. It was not the easiest to get off but it did last most of the year. I may give the liquid a try. I never have tried it. I just did not think it gave me the results for the effort. I would rather do two waxing with the new liquids rather the the pains of the old pasts.

The one thing that hurts me is my boat spends it summer on a boat lift covered but it is always getting splashed from wave action. I do wipe the boat down after every use but can't stop the splashing. My lake water is very hard I can get water spotting after a couple of hours on the water that are very difficult to remove. This is why I do a vintager and water wipe down at the end of the year followed up with a 303 to seal and the NuFinish. my boat looks better than new.

my 99 looked just as good when I got my new one I was asked many times if the 99 was new

at the gas pumps up till the last time There.

I think the 303 to seal and stop U.V. is a must I put the 303 on all gel coat and all the interior not the carpet.