Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

automated ballast system

scott_fx

Hey guys,

I'm in the initial steps of designing a fully automated ballast system for my '98 vlx. In my research it hasn't been clear to me how the system stops filling. do you just watch the overflow until it starts evacuating water then manually turn the pumps off?

the reason i ask is because i think i can build a simple circuit that will automatically shut off the pumps when the bags are full... just want to know if i should start exploring/designing that part of the system.

's

Edited by scott_fx
Hey guys,

I'm in the initial steps of designing a fully automated ballast system for my '98 vlx. In my research it hasn't been clear to me how the system stops filling. do you just watch the overflow until it starts evacuating water then manually turn the pumps off?

the reason i ask is because i think i can build a simple circuit that will automatically shut off the pumps when the bags are full... just want to know if i should start exploring/designing that part of the system.

's

you can do a timer but I just fill all the sacs until water comes out the air vents easy way to tell they are full

I would think a low pressure normally closed switch would work pretty well on a bag. Just arm the system, and let the switch kick the pump off when pressure is detected. That or you could get fancy and throw a PLC on the boat. Biggrin.gif

I have air vents as well and I shut off the fill pumps when I see the water coming out of them, cheap and easy.

i was thinking of putting one of these circuits in the overflow:

http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Circuits/Swi.../waterrelay.htm that would turn off the pump when water started coming out

or using a capacitance ic like the q-proc qt-10 (i think that's the product #) and use that to swich a relay. this would be ideal because i could use the thru-hull connector as the electrode.

Edited by scott_fx
I have air vents as well and I shut off the fill pumps when I see the water coming out of them, cheap and easy.

i was thinking of putting one of these circuits in the overflow:

http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Circuits/Swi.../waterrelay.htm that would turn off the pump when water started coming out

or using a capacitance ic like the q-proc qt-10 (i think that's the product #) and use that to swich a relay. this would be ideal because i could use the thru-hull connector as the electrode.

That would certainly work well. There was another thread about trailer accent lighting for loading the boat at night. It used a water activated switch as well that would energize the trailer lights when backed under water to help see it under the surface when loading the boat in the dark.

I found it.....

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....showtopic=17694

That would certainly work well. There was another thread about trailer accent lighting for loading the boat at night. It used a water activated switch as well that would energize the trailer lights when backed under water to help see it under the surface when loading the boat in the dark.

I found it.....

thanks for the link. i think the switch that the guy is using *may* be too bulky for this application. i'm not sure where i'd mount them without introducing leaks into the system.

that will work but with ballast system I try to keep very simple simple works best

The ballast system would still be the same (I think it's still pretty simple). the whole setup can function manually just with the option of an auto shut off. :)

If i have time this weekend i'll try to test the q-prox ic to see if it'll function as i'm expecting. If it does then installation would be as simple as attaching one wire to the back side of the thru-hull connection. should be a clean install.

Edited by scott_fx

I found it.....

thanks for the link. i think the switch that the guy is using *may* be too bulky for this application. i'm not sure where i'd mount them without introducing leaks into the system.

that will work but with ballast system I try to keep very simple simple works best

The ballast system would still be the same (I think it's still pretty simple). the whole setup can function manually just with the option of an auto shut off. :)

If i have time this weekend i'll try to test the q-prox ic to see if it'll function as i'm expecting. If it does then installation would be as simple as attaching one wire to the back side of the thru-hull connection. should be a clean install.

Wouldn't the pumps then turn back on as soon as the water drained back down the hose, then back on ,off, on ?

seems like a lot of work for a ballast system.

it's just like adding another (well 3)relay. it's not very complicated at all. plus... it's really no extra work for you... since i'm doing the project :)

Wouldn't the pumps then turn back on as soon as the water drained back down the hose, then back on ,off, on ?

nope, you'd just need to use a 'latching' relay. it has two states of 'rest'; on and off ,and keeps the last state it was in. when you turn the pump on it would reset the relay.

it's just like adding another (well 3)relay. it's not very complicated at all. plus... it's really no extra work for you... since i'm doing the project :)

nope, you'd just need to use a 'latching' relay. it has two states of 'rest'; on and off ,and keeps the last state it was in. when you turn the pump on it would reset the relay.

You are correct sir, good luck with it.

You are correct sir, good luck with it.

:) thanks.