Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

simer 8512 (alternative?)

scott_fx

I'm looking into setting up a ballast system for my '98 sunsetter vlx but i'm having a hard time finding the (seemingly) popular simer 8512. Is there a trick to finding these? If they aren't available anymore is there a good alternative at a similar price point and quality?

if you need information about the setup, i plan on using two fat sacks on each side of the engine and one in the ski locker.

thanks,

scott

BE Atlas (800) 305-4393, they'll hook you up.

I just bought one of these Simer pumps right before Christmas. I called BE Atlas and they only had the pump with the kit and they wanted something like $120. The guy I spoke with said BE Atlas is only carrying the kit now instead of just the pump.

So I hit Google and couldn't really find just the pump without the kit. But I ended-up finding the kit for around $80 at TheHardwareCity.com (http://www.thehardwarecity.com/?sku=5125224 the picture is wrong but the specs are right-- I don't remember which picture was showing when I ordered but I got the correct pump).

I found another one here for a good price:

http://www.builderdepot.com/browse.ihtml?p...rodstoreid=1807

I didn't really mind getting the kit because now I have the spare impeller. Plus, I needed a new leader hose for my garden hose caddy at home... so I was able to use the included 6ft hose. I just threw the little Pud-L Scoop thing in the garbage.

Anyway, I think there is something going on with these pumps-- like the manufacturer has been bought-out or something like that. The pumps seem to be hard to find at the moment and are going by different names (Pentair Water, Flotec, Simer). I also seemed to have better results when I searched for "12v minivac"-- go figure.

Hope that helps!

BE Atlas (800) 305-4393, they'll hook you up.

I just bought one of these Simer pumps right before Christmas. I called BE Atlas and they only had the pump with the kit and they wanted something like $120. The guy I spoke with said BE Atlas is only carrying the kit now instead of just the pump.

So I hit Google and couldn't really find just the pump without the kit. But I ended-up finding the kit for around $80 at TheHardwareCity.com (http://www.thehardwarecity.com/?sku=5125224 the picture is wrong but the specs are right-- I don't remember which picture was showing when I ordered but I got the correct pump).

I found another one here for a good price:

http://www.builderdepot.com/browse.ihtml?p...rodstoreid=1807

I didn't really mind getting the kit because now I have the spare impeller. Plus, I needed a new leader hose for my garden hose caddy at home... so I was able to use the included 6ft hose. I just threw the little Pud-L Scoop thing in the garbage.

Anyway, I think there is something going on with these pumps-- like the manufacturer has been bought-out or something like that. The pumps seem to be hard to find at the moment and are going by different names (Pentair Water, Flotec, Simer). I also seemed to have better results when I searched for "12v minivac"-- go figure.

Hope that helps!

thanks for the links. after doing more research i think i'm going to end up going with the 'two pumps ber bag' route to improve fill times. I am most likely going to end up with 6 of the attwood 1200 gph tsunami pumps.