Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ordering new skin, (colors??)

scout1ton

Talked with Chee yesterday about doing some skins for my newly gelcoated 95 Sunsetter. Story behind the new coat is this. Wife was driving and thought the bu needed to mate with a 55' houseboat. Good insurance kept me from being real upset about the ooops. Now I got the color I wanted. I didn't buy the boat for the color. Also, will his skins for my boat include all seats and the inside rails in-between front seats and rear bench seat? In other words all the vinyl inside?? Also what about color chart? He said I could use any Malibu colors, where can I find these colors? Also if anyone has pictures of his skins installed post up here. I found a few, but seemed like alot were scattered around. thanks in advance

BEFORE:

post-7412-1231956142_thumb.jpg

AFTER:

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo278/s...bu/100_0257.jpg

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo278/s...bu/100_0164.jpg

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo278/s...bu/100_0163.jpg

I am in the process of having Chee do some skins for my 97 sunsetter. They are immaculate and dead on. I have had the 2 longer gunnel pieces done and the came out top notch and he is currently workigon the two rear seat pieces. He even sewed the newer Malibu boats logo in them on the gunnel pieces. They vinyl is muh more impressive that what Malibu used back in the day(thicker and stronger). I am having everything behing the cockpit redone by Chee but only doing a couple of pieces at a time.

I will take pics of the three pieces I have had redone. They are not mounted in the boat yet...but have been fastened and ready to bolt on to the boat. Some of the pieces are pretty tough to put on and you may want to consider pulling the old pieces off, removing the staples, & taking the new skins and cushions to a vinyl shop to have them professionally attached. It cost me $75 to have both gunnel skins put on with stainless staples. The flat pieces are easy and you will want to invest in a pneumatic staple gun to do this right. I would suggest a Porter Cable US-58 and stainless 1/2 or 3/8 inch staples for the thiner pieces. It is a true upholstery gun and I love mine.

IMO...your boat would look best with an off white main, black main accent, and then some orange as the smaller accent.

Hook'em Horns!!!!!!!

I am in the process of having Chee do some skins for my 97 sunsetter. They are immaculate and dead on. I have had the 2 longer gunnel pieces done and the came out top notch and he is currently workigon the two rear seat pieces. He even sewed the newer Malibu boats logo in them on the gunnel pieces. They vinyl is muh more impressive that what Malibu used back in the day(thicker and stronger). I am having everything behing the cockpit redone by Chee but only doing a couple of pieces at a time.

I will take pics of the three pieces I have had redone. They are not mounted in the boat yet...but have been fastened and ready to bolt on to the boat. Some of the pieces are pretty tough to put on and you may want to consider pulling the old pieces off, removing the staples, & taking the new skins and cushions to a vinyl shop to have them professionally attached. It cost me $75 to have both gunnel skins put on with stainless staples. The flat pieces are easy and you will want to invest in a pneumatic staple gun to do this right. I would suggest a Porter Cable US-58 and stainless 1/2 or 3/8 inch staples for the thiner pieces. It is a true upholstery gun and I love mine.

IMO...your boat would look best with an off white main, black main accent, and then some orange as the smaller accent.

Hook'em Horns!!!!!!!

Murphy,

Thanks for the input, I am having problems with the smaller accents being 2 colors now. I guess I should just have the two smaller made into one, or just give him the go ahead and let him make something unique and new. So you didn't send him any boat parts, he is just sending you the skins? Pictures would be great. I see that your in Dallas, this boat came from South East Dallas, maybe Red Oak, I think.

GO POKES!!!!

Hook'em Horns!!!!!!!

Murphy,

Thanks for the input, I am having problems with the smaller accents being 2 colors now. I guess I should just have the two smaller made into one, or just give him the go ahead and let him make something unique and new. So you didn't send him any boat parts, he is just sending you the skins? Pictures would be great. I see that your in Dallas, this boat came from South East Dallas, maybe Red Oak, I think.

GO POKES!!!!

Correct I'm in Dallas...Red Oak sounds about right. Yes, on the gunnels and stereo armrest cover, he was able to make these w/o me sending him anything. Now I did receive the back seat rear yesterday and he left of some piping that should have been sewn in the seams. I called Chee last night and he said ship it back and he would fix it for free. (Nice guy to work with.) My suggestion would be to take a picture of each piece that you want redone and print each picture on paper with a color printer (Fedex/kinkos if you dont have a printer.) Draw arrows and write what colors you want and where for each piece.

Couple of other options would be (if you have grey carpet) main off white/second main light grey/ accents with black and orange w/ the piping in orange ( with a picture) of T Boone Pickens carved in to the platform. Mine is white/light grey and the two accents are purple and teal.

Hook'em Horns!!!!!!!

Murphy,

GO POKES!!!!

Correct I'm in Dallas...Red Oak sounds about right. Yes, on the gunnels and stereo armrest cover, he was able to make these w/o me sending him anything. Now I did receive the back seat rear yesterday and he left of some piping that should have been sewn in the seams. I called Chee last night and he said ship it back and he would fix it for free. (Nice guy to work with.) My suggestion would be to take a picture of each piece that you want redone and print each picture on paper with a color printer (Fedex/kinkos if you dont have a printer.) Draw arrows and write what colors you want and where for each piece.

Couple of other options would be (if you have grey carpet) main off white/second main light grey/ accents with black and orange w/ the piping in orange ( with a picture) of T Boone Pickens carved in to the platform. Mine is white/light grey and the two accents are purple and teal.

Ya might have a large BPU Boone Pickens University. I can't wait to see your pictures and I like your ideas. Ya carpet is grey. You think the darker colors will last as long as the others.

Hook'em Horns!!!!!!!

Murphy,

GO POKES!!!!

Ya might have a large BPU Boone Pickens University. I can't wait to see your pictures and I like your ideas. Ya carpet is grey. You think the darker colors will last as long as the others.

Yes my carpet is grey. If I was in your situation I think the best look would be an off or cream white for the main...then a light grey for the second main....then some black and orange for the accents. You could either pipe it in with black or orange. This new vinyl that Chee and Malibu is using has UV inhibitors... it will not fade and the accents are only about an inch thick in the pattern. Buy some exquisite vinyl cleaner off Ebay and clean it per their instructions and your vinyl will always look bad-a** forever. I'll post some pics tonight.

Your boat looks great after the work you have done.

IMO, stay away from the dark colors as they heat up in the summer sun. They look great but you might have to cover them up with towels just to be able to sit on them in July. :)

Your boat looks great after the work you have done.

IMO, stay away from the dark colors as they heat up in the summer sun. They look great but you might have to cover them up with towels just to be able to sit on them in July. :)

Ya I had thought about the heat, but just wanted to make sure the darker colors are as durable as the other. and thanks for the compliments

Hook'em Horns!!!!!!!

Murphy,

GO POKES!!!!

Yes my carpet is grey. If I was in your situation I think the best look would be an off or cream white for the main...then a light grey for the second main....then some black and orange for the accents. You could either pipe it in with black or orange. This new vinyl that Chee and Malibu is using has UV inhibitors... it will not fade and the accents are only about an inch thick in the pattern. Buy some exquisite vinyl cleaner off Ebay and clean it per their instructions and your vinyl will always look bad-a** forever. I'll post some pics tonight.

Ya I figured the technology of vinyl has come a long ways. Can't wait till summer. Had quite a few comments about the pink boat last summer, and almost got in a punching match with some guy at a Marina. I can handle some ribbin, and I can take alot from buddies but not alot from someone I don't even know.

Scout1ton,

I think you should have Chee send you a small sample of the current Malibu orange. If it matches, just do the main accent color in orange and perhaps a light grey as a second accent. Piping in black. No need for a bunch of colors in my opinion. Also, it appears your boat's hull is white, not off-white (they called it nuetrail back then) so I would stick with white interior myself...but just another opinion. :)

That's funny about your buddies making fun of the pink boat. My buddy has a purple main stripe on his response, but every time it's mentioned as purple he corrects them and explains the color is called black iris. It's funny every time.

Here are some pics. I would not be too concerned about a 1" stripe of dark colored vinyl getting to hot. Worst thing it will do it get those female bottoms off the vinyl and dancing.

http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s339/Mu...th/DSCN0314.jpg

http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s339/Mu...th/DSCN0312.jpg

http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s339/Mu...th/DSCN0315.jpg

Here are some pics. I would not be too concerned about a 1" stripe of dark colored vinyl getting to hot. Worst thing it will do it get those female bottoms off the vinyl and dancing.

I like his work, have you had any seat skins done? If so post up some pics please. Ya I'm with you on the dark 1" strip, me likes dancing girls on engine hatch and fly high pole. ha ha ha... Is there anywhere I can look at Malibus current vinyl colors? Thanks for pictures anyone else?

Talked with Chee yesterday about doing some skins for my newly gelcoated 95 Sunsetter. Story behind the new coat is this. Wife was driving and thought the bu needed to mate with a 55' houseboat. Good insurance kept me from being real upset about the ooops. Now I got the color I wanted. I didn't buy the boat for the color. Also, will his skins for my boat include all seats and the inside rails in-between front seats and rear bench seat? In other words all the vinyl inside?? Also what about color chart? He said I could use any Malibu colors, where can I find these colors? Also if anyone has pictures of his skins installed post up here. I found a few, but seemed like alot were scattered around. thanks in advance

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Did you have the gelcoat painted over or did they change the color scheme with gelcoat? I am contemplating painting over the gelcoat on the sides and stern of my boat because I do not like the existing color scheme and we just had all the vinyl replaced with a different color scheme from original. Also installing new rubrail. your boat looks nice!

Thanks

AF1

I like his work, have you had any seat skins done? If so post up some pics please. Ya I'm with you on the dark 1" strip, me likes dancing girls on engine hatch and fly high pole. ha ha ha... Is there anywhere I can look at Malibus current vinyl colors? Thanks for pictures anyone else?

No seat skins yet, the are on order and should be in in the next couple of weeks. I will post them up when I get them on. Malibu is usuing G&T Industries vinyl. Your best bet would be to go the the malibu website on the "build a boat portion" and look at all the options for vinyl colors. Chee is usuing the stuff that they are putting in the 2009 lineup...it is top notch.

Did you have the gelcoat painted over or did they change the color scheme with gelcoat? I am contemplating painting over the gelcoat on the sides and stern of my boat because I do not like the existing color scheme and we just had all the vinyl replaced with a different color scheme from original. Also installing new rubrail. your boat looks nice!

Thanks

AF1

AF1

Its is new gelcoat, I talked to a few people about the painting over and was told that if you don't plan on keeping paint would be a quick nice look. But if you are gonna keep boat that gelcoat is preffered, reason was to maintain a good looking finish with paint is alot harder than with gelcoat. Not sure its true but had 3 or 4 buddies with the same philosophy. Thanks for the comps will look even better once I order and install skins.

Have now spoke w/ Chee numerous times and email some pictures of the boat to Elery @ Malibu. She gave them to Chee and he is going to send me some small patches of the vinyl that he thinks will match the best. I will then choose what I want to use. Then I will send him a picture of each piece and where I want the new colors. Thanks for all your help guys. B

scout 1,

i'm doing pretty much the same as you with my '89 sunsetter. i need to replace the rear seat vinyl and the interior rub rails before summer.....gotta get my kitchen finished first though! Please post a few images when you have the interior done, as i'm excited to see some of chees work. there was a posting here a few months ago that 'Rugger' did, and the restore work was awesome. Thumbup.gif

scout 1,

i'm doing pretty much the same as you with my '89 sunsetter. i need to replace the rear seat vinyl and the interior rub rails before summer.....gotta get my kitchen finished first though! Please post a few images when you have the interior done, as i'm excited to see some of chees work. there was a posting here a few months ago that 'Rugger' did, and the restore work was awesome. Thumbup.gif

Ya I am wanting to get mine done before summer also. I got my samples in and chose the 4 colors on the top left of photo. I figured I would post pic of all that he sent me so persons can see what is available. White will be base color with orange for the larger accent then black beside it and then the light grey, with orange barrel or tubing.

post-7412-1232724067_thumb.jpg

AF1

Its is new gelcoat, I talked to a few people about the painting over and was told that if you don't plan on keeping paint would be a quick nice look. But if you are gonna keep boat that gelcoat is preffered, reason was to maintain a good looking finish with paint is alot harder than with gelcoat. Not sure its true but had 3 or 4 buddies with the same philosophy. Thanks for the comps will look even better once I order and install skins.

Did you pay extra to have the whole boat re-gelcoated or did the insurance pay for the whole thing. Because either way you made out and it looks really nice Thumbup.gif

Did you pay extra to have the whole boat re-gelcoated or did the insurance pay for the whole thing. Because either way you made out and it looks really nice Thumbup.gif

I told the body shop that I didn't like the pink. He said they would quote it so that needed to redo the whole stripe. Their reasoning was the gelcoat had faded in a way that they couldn't possibly match it. Sent the quote off and then got the dreaded phone call that they needed to send apraiser out. She came and looked at it and said that they would pay to have whole thing striped and fixed. WOOOHOOO!!! Thanks for the props...

scout 1,

Ya I am wanting to get mine done before summer also. I got my samples in and chose the 4 colors on the top left of photo. I figured I would post pic of all that he sent me so persons can see what is available. White will be base color with orange for the larger accent then black beside it and then the light grey, with orange barrel or tubing.

post-7412-1232724067_thumb.jpg

Question: Just got off the phone with Chee to get some pricing to replace the back seat. All other skins are in great shape. Our boat is a 1995 Chee told me he could not match the vinyl we have presently. Our 95 vinyl has some texture to it "elephant like" per Chees description. He would have to use a smooth type vinyl finishes. Looking at the samples Chee sent you, it looks like a few of the samples on the far right side of this picture, has some texture to it. Are all the samples they sent you have texture or where some smooth?

Question: Just got off the phone with Chee to get some pricing to replace the back seat. All other skins are in great shape. Our boat is a 1995 Chee told me he could not match the vinyl we have presently. Our 95 vinyl has some texture to it "elephant like" per Chees description. He would have to use a smooth type vinyl finishes. Looking at the samples Chee sent you, it looks like a few of the samples on the far right side of this picture, has some texture to it. Are all the samples they sent you have texture or where some smooth?

The samples that I was sent all have the same texture to them. Took samples out and compared to the current seats in my 95. The 95 vinyl is a little more textured but I don't think that it will be noticed as long as your doing the whole seat. By that I mean the back and the base. I would be willing to send the samples that I am not going to use to you if you would like to look for yourself. PM addy if you would like those samples.

Edited by scout1ton

BEFORE:

AFTER:

That is amazing. Looks great with the new colors. Too bad the insurance didn't re powder coat the trailer as well for you. That would look like a brand new set up. Any way sweet color scheme.

That is amazing. Looks great with the new colors. Too bad the insurance didn't re powder coat the trailer as well for you. That would look like a brand new set up. Any way sweet color scheme.

Thx, I did get the paint code to match the new stripe, so may look at painting towards the end of the summer. The trailer actually use to be pink, but it was painted black when I went to look at it. Told the wife that if it would have been pink we prolly would have kept on driving an not even stopped to look at. Should I go orange to match or just do a better job on the black with orange pinstripes along with some aluminum tread plate accents on fenders and steps?