Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water in oil.

Hello,

I have a 2001 Malibu Sunscape with a 5.3L chevy small block. I ran the boat during the summer then went to winterize the engine for the winter. When I went to change the oil, the oil looked like a milkshake (the oil had been saturated with oil). looking in the valve cover there was A LOT of moisture. The boat only has 140 hours on it. I have herd that the possible problem is a blown intake manifold, or head gasket. would like any information that anyone has before I tear down the engine looking for the leak. Thanks.

Mike

Wow that really sucks....

I had a similar situation on my 88 Centurion a few years back. Ended up being a cracked head. I re-built it myself, took about 4 hours start to finish with changing all the fluids.

I found re-conditioned heads and basically re-built the top end of the motor. I think I had about $500 into the whole thing when I was done, but I did all the labor myself.

I had a similar situation on my 88 Centurion a few years back. Ended up being a cracked head. I re-built it myself, took about 4 hours start to finish with changing all the fluids.

I found re-conditioned heads and basically re-built the top end of the motor. I think I had about $500 into the whole thing when I was done, but I did all the labor myself.

That's a pretty good price for what you did and doing yourself always helps with the cost, hopefully it isn't the block for morchard :)

Get a compression test completed and let us know what you find out. Has this boat ever been in salt water? I've seen a rebuild where the freeze plugs rusting in the heads and allowed water to seep into the oil passages.

A leakdown test would be best. This will allow you to pinpoint the problem and ultimately might save you time.

Plus1.gif Totally agree, because you "can" have good compression and still have water in the oil due to a leak from the water channel passages into the oil valley. If he is really lucky it may just be an intake manifold gasket, but that is rare, you never know. Best bet if a leak down test doesn't show then you have to do a pressure test of the water system!

hello again,

I preformed a compression test and found that number 6 cylinder had only 30psi. I preformed a leak down test which didn't seem to explain anything, i only heard air leaking back into the intake manifold. I've started to take the engine apart. Its probably a head gasket or a cracked head. i'll let you all know what i find.

Edited by morchard

That's a pretty good price for what you did and doing yourself always helps with the cost, hopefully it isn't the block for morchard :)

Yep, it was very reasonable.

OP, let us know what you find.

I know all to well what the milkshake foam looks like. 97 Response block froze and I had to replace the motor. Luckily it happened before I got married. But I still here about it.

What motor do you have? If you have the monsoon, I think I still have a good head casting (plus all of the guts) in my attic and can maybe help you out. The head swap is a realitively easy job. However....not knowing how long all that water was running through the motor this season, I'm afraid I'd recommend going through the whole motor to replace bearings. Raw water is not as bad on bearings as antifreeze, but it's definitely not a good thing.

Ya you probably did not have the cylinder at TDC compression.......but anyway you found it and are on the right track. If the problem doesn't jump out at you after close inspection of the gasket and head, you can take the head to a machine shop and have it pressure checked. Do this before any further disassembly as a crack may not reveal itself until the pressure check.

You either did not have the engine at TDC for that cylinder, or there truly is a leak back in to the intake manifold. I would double check, but at a minimum, you will be pulling that head to track down the problem.

If this is a blown head gasket, you got off with very little expense. I would then change the other side to make sure you don't have to do it later :unsure: and use marine gaskets!