Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

new 247 engine options

RyRoRe

I plan on buying a new 247 this spring, Iam torn on the 400hp or the 450hph engine, does any one have any personal experience or info on any test results?

Welcome RyRoRe,

450hp nice up charge, nice weight gain, nice torque, nice wake, will drink a bit more in gas. Certainly would be my choice on the 247 if I was in the market.

Edited by MalibuNation

I have a 2006 247 with the Hammerhead 400hp motor. I spend quite a bit of time with full ballast and 10+ people and have never really had the need for more motor. I did change the prop out to an Acme 1235 which makes it pull out of the hole like no tomorrow. I only have a top speed of about 37 MPH, but really cant afford the gas if I run that fast for too long.

I am sure that Stewart with his big block will chime in as well. If you can afford it, why not go with the bigger motor, but you wont be disappointed in the Hammerhead.

Man that's a-lot-a-boat. I can't think of a better home for a big block.

I'd put a big block in my Response if Malibu would do it Biggrin.gif

Better yet, put a super charger with intercooler...that way you could keep the weight down. Rockon.gif

Rocket on the water!

I am sure that Stewart with his big block will chime in as well. If you can afford it, why not go with the bigger motor, but you wont be disappointed in the Hammerhead.

I have the 8.1L and love it. Not that much more in gas vs. the HH383. I put an OJ 475 on it and it pulls like there is no tomorrow and still gets up to about 45 mph. The stock Acme could pull the crew, 15+ people surfing with fats sacks and 520lbs pop sacks. Less holeshot, but about 47mph and good gas mileage. Lots of options.

Remember "There's no replacement for displacement"

Now if I lived on a bigger lake and had more money I'd get a WS 247 and a Response LXi ... can always dream, better start playing the lottery.

I'd go with the big block, suffering from TMT I always have to have the fastest, loudest, shiniest, baddest there is.

I remember back in 94 after I bought my Echelon a friend of mine in the ski club bought a Prez. Edition Echelon which came with a 425 HP 454ci. That boat was sick!! What was even more amusing was the size of the engine cover, and when she opened it up you knew there was something big under the hood..

Indmar says: the 8.1 weighs 260 lbs more than the Hammerhead (which is good ballast for wakesurfing/wakeboarding); on the other hand, the Hammerhead has much lower carbon monoxide emissions than the 8.1 (which is good for wakesurfing). If you need top end speed, the bigger engine will get it for you. If you are worried about the 247 being underpowered with the Hammerhead, don't. Compare the specs to comparable weight boats from other manufacturers and you will see that 400 hp is more than most others offer standard.

I had read where GM was going to stop making the 8.1L big block (the 6.2L would be the largest they would make). If this turns out to be the case, the 247 with the 8.1 might hold a higher value than it normally would.

I remember back in 94 after I bought my Echelon a friend of mine in the ski club bought a Prez. Edition Echelon which came with a 425 HP 454ci. That boat was sick!! What was even more amusing was the size of the engine cover, and when she opened it up you knew there was something big under the hood..

Echelon with a 454 Crazy.gif that would be fun :)

Classic Bu