Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

homemade wakeskate

Nicvtx

hi everyone at bucrew

i made a home made wakeskate reenty and i thought i would put up up here for peoples

opinions

im 14 years old and did just about all by myself going camping for the next 4 days so should be able to get up on it by then

IMG_0694.jpg

nic

Nice work. What did you use to seal the bottom?

havent sealed it yet but thats what im going to do today

and the next one i make i will do it in wood with a fiberglass layer over it

Are you planning on adding fins or going for a flat bottom? That would be a fun fiberglass project. Thumbup.gif

me and my dad are doing a home made so nothing bought except for materials

we would have to make a fin out of right angled track for doors and screw it to the bottom

and or otherwise i dont want to wreck the look of the bottom

im thinking just to go finless

Looks like a great job, not to critic but shouldn't it have a slight rocker (curve)?

Yeah, boarding on a flat surface is going to be a little difficult. I don't know much about woodwork, but you should be able to steam the board and develop a form so you can clap it in there and get a nice rocker.

Looks awesome so far btw.

Looks like a great job, not to critic but shouldn't it have a slight rocker (curve)?

hi didnt turn out the way i wanted it because i used touch dry glue

so next time i will make a proper jig and expoxy it and do fiberglass over it

If you fiberglass the bottom you can mold in some fins. I used bondo to build up some short fins on mine (sorry no pics and board has since been gifted to someone)

Good luck and have some fun!

I have a friend who kite boards and has been building his own boards as a hobby. He's come up with some cool ways to build boards. He uses really thin plywood and stacks sheets together bonding them with Gorilla glue. The first few he did were flat then he started putting rocker into them. You can shim up the ends with scrap pieces of wood then clamp the center of the board to his workbench. You do this before the glue dries and the next day you have your first board with rocker.

If you get clever with the shims and clamps you can build stuff with 3 stage rocker and non symetrical rocker.

This is what happens when engineers get into their hobbies a little too much.

Almost forgot, he does use a clear urethane to seal the boards. You can add fins with out destroying the looks of the board you just have to be creative. I know you said you would prefer to make a fin but he uses the ones that are commercially available for wake boards. There are so many shapes and sizes that you can get cheap on e-bay he figured the labor to make the fins wasn't worth it. Using a stainless steel countersunk allen head bolt, the top of the board stays flat and clean looking.

I know when you're building things there is the pride of doing it yourself, for him its about getting the specific rocker design and board shape he wanted (it wasn't commercially available) so labor and cost were secondary.

I really like the look of the home made wood boards, they're almost like artwork.

Edited by Wayne
I have a friend who kite boards and has been building his own boards as a hobby. He's come up with some cool ways to build boards. He uses really thin plywood and stacks sheets together bonding them with Gorilla glue. The first few he did were flat then he started putting rocker into them. You can shim up the ends with scrap pieces of wood then clamp the center of the board to his workbench. You do this before the glue dries and the next day you have your first board with rocker.

If you get clever with the shims and clamps you can build stuff with 3 stage rocker and non symetrical rocker.

This is what happens when engineers get into their hobbies a little too much.

Almost forgot, he does use a clear urethane to seal the boards. You can add fins with out destroying the looks of the board you just have to be creative. I know you said you would prefer to make a fin but he uses the ones that are commercially available for wake boards. There are so many shapes and sizes that you can get cheap on e-bay he figured the labor to make the fins wasn't worth it. Using a stainless steel countersunk allen head bolt, the top of the board stays flat and clean looking.

I know when you're building things there is the pride of doing it yourself, for him its about getting the specific rocker design and board shape he wanted (it wasn't commercially available) so labor and cost were secondary.

I really like the look of the home made wood boards, they're almost like artwork.

Any pics of his boards? I'm a curious engineer wanting to try my own wakesurf board. Clap.gif I use gorilla glue building model airplanes and that stuff rocks - super light if used properly and drys super strong.

I'll ask him for some pictures of his stuff. I know he did a lot of searching on-line for pictures from other people. I think there was a kiting site that had some good suff, I'll ask him about that too.

Most of his light boards he ended up breaking, just made them too thin. We were talking about trying to add some fiberglass or carbon fiber to add strength. Usually he snapped off the end outside the binding. He has some fairly heavy boards that were holding up really good.

This sounds like a great hobby, I wish I had the time to do stuff like this. I had a friend that used to make his own skateboards and got really good at it, he used solid oak wood and would soak and wet the wood to form them into shape, then he would design stuff on them and seal it. It just takes so much time, but does sound like fun :)

Saw my friend today, he has pictures just has to load them up on a USB drive and bring them in to work.

I asked him again why he stopped making his own boards. He said that he could buy exactly what he wanted so he stopped making them. Something interesting he said, when you make your own stuff you really learn what different rocker, edge contours, board shapes and so on do to the overall performance. If you make a few on your own you will really know what the market has to offer and what characteristics give you the performance you want.