Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fast Wax

No.

But for a quick shine I keep a bottle of "ICE" by Turtlewax in the boat. Very quick to apply and gives an immediate "POP" to the gelcoat.

Wipe it on with a clean t-shirt square and wipe it off with microfibre towels. I've been waxing boats since my first in 1972. No more. As the song goes " Ice, Ice, Baby" .....

No.

But for a quick shine I keep a bottle of "ICE" by Turtlewax in the boat. Very quick to apply and gives an immediate "POP" to the gelcoat.

Wipe it on with a clean t-shirt square and wipe it off with microfibre towels. I've been waxing boats since my first in 1972. No more. As the song goes " Ice, Ice, Baby" .....

Don't mean to highjack, but is this product for Gelcoat?

No.

Don't mean to highjack, but is this product for Gelcoat?

Good question. I searched around on their site and it is totally geared toward auto. It doesn't mention surface uses or intended surfaces. Looks like it's designed for auto paint. I would guess it is fine for gel coat, but it would be nice to know.

As for the FASTWAX - you're talking about this stuff right?

http://www.fastwax-online.com/MarineFASTWAX.html

I don't know if it's intended for gelcoat but I've also been using turtle wax, not the ice version though, just the plain cheap liquid turtle wax. Seems to work great and so so easy to apply and wipe off.

I don't know if it's intended for gelcoat but I've also been using turtle wax, not the ice version though, just the plain cheap liquid turtle wax. Seems to work great and so so easy to apply and wipe off.

That's cool - I've used the original Turtle Wax ONCE. I got it as a gift about 5 years ago and figured I could wax the car with it. Now I know why they call it Turtle Wax - it takes forever to get off!!!

Here's what I use on the cars and boats. IMO it is the best wax money can buy....

http://www.collinitemarine.com/

I use their fiberglass cleaner (No 920) at the end of the season to clean the hull before applying the wax and man does it work well. The wax works great and keeps the lake scum from sticking to the hull - I never have a dirt line on the boat and the water rolls right off the boat. My uncle switched waxes after pulling up beside my boat and seeing how the water rolls off. He kept splashing our boat, then his in disbelief.

NuFinish liguid wax is the best stuff out there for your boat (in my never humble opinion). It's an acrylic and says right on the bottle it can be used on gelcoat. Bright orange bottle, available most auto parts places, Wal Mart etc.

Strip the boat with StarBrite Hull Cleaner or similar to get the funk off (and rinse), then get the water spots with CLR or similar and rinse, towel dry. Rub 303 Protectant into the gel to seal it and hand buff that off (doesn't take much buffing). Then a coat of NuFinish, I guarantee your boat will look showroom new. The NuFinish goes on and off easily and really gives it a deep shine, especially if you apply the 303 first.

Ed

I got to go with Ed on this one!!!!!! I pull the boat at the end of the year. Wash it down with vinegar & water. Go over everything with 303. I get it by the gallon at my local auto parts store. He orders it for me. I have had it two years and have half or more left but it has a five or six year shelf life if not to hot or frozen.

Like I said I go over everything inside and out ( not the Glass ) Then do the NuFinish.

Dammer if I do say so my boat looks GOOD!!!!!! I was using the Collinite Paste Fleetwax (No. 885) but didn't get any better overall results. ( IMHO ). Dontknow.gif

I got to go with Ed on this one!!!!!! I pull the boat at the end of the year. Wash it down with vinegar & water. Go over everything with 303. I get it by the gallon at my local auto parts store. He orders it for me. I have had it two years and have half or more left but it has a five or six year shelf life if not to hot or frozen.

Like I said I go over everything inside and out ( not the Glass ) Then do the NuFinish.

Dammer if I do say so my boat looks GOOD!!!!!! I was using the Collinite Paste Fleetwax (No. 885) but didn't get any better overall results. ( IMHO ). Dontknow.gif

Agreed, the Collinite finish is no better, but it will certainly last longer. I guess if you are waxing you boat more than twice a season it's no biggie.

That's cool - I've used the original Turtle Wax ONCE. I got it as a gift about 5 years ago and figured I could wax the car with it. Now I know why they call it Turtle Wax - it takes forever to get off!!!

Must have been soemthign wrong with your bottle. You were using the liquid version ? I've applied it both on cool cloudy days and even though it says not to, have aplpied on hot days direct in sun and never had any issues removing it. It always comes off first or second wipe. Did you apply with a damp cloth ? Perhaps if it wasn't thinned enough when applied it could be more difficult to wipe off ? Anyway, I've had no problems with it.

Thinking about this some cars have fibreglass panels so perhaps could assume most waxes are ok for gelcoat ? Perhaps constant water immersed ability isn't so good with 'car' compared to 'marine' versions though ?

Agreed, the Collinite finish is no better, but it will certainly last longer. I guess if you are waxing you boat more than twice a season it's no biggie.

I do mine twice a season. Once when I put the boat away for the winter, once about mid season. Seems to hold up well enough. I'd do it more but the time factor... I will say that I don't use anything when I wipe the boat down, like dilute vinegar & water etc so I think that helps. Vinegar gets the water spots but strips the wax off. But it gets a good thorough wipe down once on the trailer, every time. Trailer and wheels too. Minimizes any water spot buildup without stripping the wax prematurely.

I'd never heard of Collinite before reading about it here, is it pricey? Where do you find it?

Ed

I think I got it at Boat U.S.. I don't think it did any better and you will work at putting it on and off. I used it on my 99 Ski Centurion and must say it looked nearly new at trade in in 07. My boat is on a lift and as much as I do I can't stop splashing on it. I do wipe it down after every use. I don't use vinegar and water during the season just at the end to remove any spots.

Must have been soemthign wrong with your bottle. You were using the liquid version ? I've applied it both on cool cloudy days and even though it says not to, have aplpied on hot days direct in sun and never had any issues removing it. It always comes off first or second wipe. Did you apply with a damp cloth ? Perhaps if it wasn't thinned enough when applied it could be more difficult to wipe off ? Anyway, I've had no problems with it.

Thinking about this some cars have fibreglass panels so perhaps could assume most waxes are ok for gelcoat ? Perhaps constant water immersed ability isn't so good with 'car' compared to 'marine' versions though ?

It was the original Turtle wax that comes in a tin can. It is a solid paste and once it is dry, it really takes some elbox grease to get off. It looked good once I got it all polished off and beaded water for several months, but holy crap - I can wax the car with Collinites twice in the time it took me with that stuff plus the Collinites lasts longer and will keep your stuff looking new for a long time. Dontknow.gif

I do mine twice a season. Once when I put the boat away for the winter, once about mid season. Seems to hold up well enough. I'd do it more but the time factor... I will say that I don't use anything when I wipe the boat down, like dilute vinegar & water etc so I think that helps. Vinegar gets the water spots but strips the wax off. But it gets a good thorough wipe down once on the trailer, every time. Trailer and wheels too. Minimizes any water spot buildup without stripping the wax prematurely.

I'd never heard of Collinite before reading about it here, is it pricey? Where do you find it?

Ed

No, the price isn't too bad at all. I think it's around $10 a bottle locally. I can do the boat and trailer with just a little over a bottle. Their Insulator wax No 845 is the same as their Marine Fleet wax No 885 and is easier to find locally since they market it more for auto use. I think Advanced Auto sells it and I buy it at a local hardware store called Trader Horn. Collinites site doesn't list many suppliers, but I know it is around our area. I'm not sure about KS? If you can't find it locally order a bottle online and give it a go - you'll be glad you tried it. My dad turned me on to it and it has kept his 85' Bronco looking like brand new even with the PA winters. If your going to keep your boat for a long time I would highly recommend it.

This wax was part of the reason I bought our boat. The previous owner had used it twice a year since 1990 and the gel coat looks fantastic! I knew if it had been waxed with Collinites it was well taken care of.

I think it is super easy to put on and take back off. The trick is since it is a thick liquid conistancy, not to put it on too thick. If you do it takes forever to dry. If you start to remove it before it is totally dry, it is a little frustrating since to are spreading the wax instead of removing it. Just make sure to put it on nice and thin and wate until it is totally dry and it comes off in one or two easy rubs.

I've used Starbrite polish twice a season and wax w/ a good carnuba based wax. Both have worked well since I owned my first boat and the lake I frequent has very hard water. Just use vinegar and cleans right off.

I haven't tried the FASTWAX and I haven't seen or noticed it at my usual parts stores. Looks easy enough to use.

I use mostly all 3M products and of course 303, I get all my polish and wax and supplies at the paint supply store down the road from my home.

Sarge,

I know this thread got hijacked, but ...

I encourage you to try ICE

It is nothing like Turtlewax paste or NuFinish. In 37 years of owning boats I've tried most boat waxes. None are really outstanding, frankly.

I have been a Nufinish user for years and also have a lot of experience with the expensive waxes.

I've bought the expensive stuff from Meguiars, Griot's Garage, and have used a lot of NuFinish on my GMC and the 8 boats I've owned in my lifetime.

I have also bought the Meguiars Quick Detailer in gallon quantities for car shows, show n' shines, and car club tours.

But I now use ICE on our Porsche and Mercedes because it is so easy and quick to use. The Porsche gets scrutinized several times a year at the car meets. No complaints, only compliments.

An advantage of ICE is that it is very easy to use even in sunlight. And it leaves no residue around rubber or vinyl trim.

It is the least amount of work for the maximum shine.

If you really want a fast wax ICE will work for you.

I'll try the ICE version once have finished current liquid turtle wax as it, like most waxes, can be a bit of a pain around the edges of the drip lettering, rub strip etc. Takes me more time remioving it around those than the entire remainder of the boat. Although even then though I can't complain as can wax the whole RLX in about 1.5hrs

• 2 weeks later...

OK I have been reading all about everyone's choices in waxes. Now te BIG question.... Do you do it all by hand, or are you using a random orbital buffer???? I have always been a little scared to use a power buffer for fear of "burning the paint or gell coat" so I have always done everything by hand, and damn it is tiring to do the whole boat.... That is why I usually just wax once a year (in the spring before the season starts cause once the water is warm enough, I do not want to waste time waxing when I could be riding) I do always wipe everything down when we pull the boat out, and we keep it in a garage. All my boats have always looked great... and my '96 MC Prostar 205 that I sold in '07 was always admired and no one believed that it was 10+ years old..... All that being said should I look for a buffer or keep doing it by hand

If you try ICE you will not need a buffer. The idea of ICE is that if you have a clean surface already you just apply the liquid ICE with a clean T-Shirt square. Do the whole boat.

Then go back with a clean microfibre towel. I have a fleet of the Costco Microfibre towels. I put my initial on one corner of one side of those towels so that my wife won't steal them to use in her fleet for windows, etc. Anyway after I have applied the ICE all over the boat I then put a microfibre towel in each hand with the initial side down and wipe the ICE residue off of the boat. I then turn the towels over and use the clean side to make sure it looks good. Takes me a half hour. I use clean microfiber towels for other car care uses also. Then I do a load of laundry with only the towels.

I have 3 cars and I wash them an average of 40 times per year by hand. I generally apply ICE after every third wash to keep them sharp. I could go longer between but I have a big nifty garage with floor drains that is warm in the winter, and has TV and Stereo so it's my man cave. Much better than the doghouse........ Whistling.gif

Now te BIG question.... Do you do it all by hand, or are you using a random orbital buffer????

Use the ROB, not to be confused with a rotary buffer.

Here, read this.

I wax by hand, but if I were to use a power tool it would be a ROB. Random Orbital Buffer. They are the safest on fine finishes.

If you try ICE you will not need a buffer. The idea of ICE is that if you have a clean surface already you just apply the liquid ICE with a clean T-Shirt square. Do the whole boat.

Then go back with a clean microfibre towel. I have a fleet of the Costco Microfibre towels. I put my initial on one corner of one side of those towels so that my wife won't steal them to use in her fleet for windows, etc. Anyway after I have applied the ICE all over the boat I then put a microfibre towel in each hand with the initial side down and wipe the ICE residue off of the boat. I then turn the towels over and use the clean side to make sure it looks good. Takes me a half hour. I use clean microfiber towels for other car care uses also. Then I do a load of laundry with only the towels.

I have 3 cars and I wash them an average of 40 times per year by hand. I generally apply ICE after every third wash to keep them sharp. I could go longer between but I have a big nifty garage with floor drains that is warm in the winter, and has TV and Stereo so it's my man cave. Much better than the doghouse........ Whistling.gif

Yeah man cave! Too bad mines 7 degrees right now. Whistling.gif

I think he is after a longer lasting wax than an ICE finish, but who knows. I always thought ICE was a polish. Does it help to repel water at all? It looks like a great detailer to keep a good coat of wax looking fresh and deepen the shine.

ICE is not a polish. On a car you use it as a protectant and it does bead water. If you have already got your shine or your car/boat is new then you just apply it after washing your car/boat. It adds shine and I use it for our car club events to give my paint an extra pop. There really is no heavy rubbing required. You just wipe the excess off with a microfibre towel.

The reason I like it for the boat is that it requires minimal time to do a large area. It beads up the water nicely, too. It really gives the gelcoat a nice pop.

I use it on the water at my annual 10 day waterski campout with my old high school buddies. After the 4th day I start skiing less each day due to wear and tear. So in the downtime I do a little boat cleaning on the lake. It takes me no time to make her shine like new and then it's time for an adult beverage !