Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Muffler

I have the large fiberglass 1 piece muffler that both manifolds feed into. I have taken it off multiple times working on my transmission. I now notice that I have more exhaust coming out of the starboard side than the port side. My boat is running fine, and it may have always been this way. Is the muffler a cross-over, or could there be an obstruction on the port side causing less exhaust by? Should I even be worried about it? My last boat, a supreme, had inline mufflers instead of the 2 into 1 type, I like the quiet sound from this muffler, and if it is not a problem, I am not going to change anything. Any input? There is no label on the muffler for me to get info of the manufacturer to call and ask questions, and I don't have a dealer here to help me. I noticed my buddy's MC 205 has the same setup, and he has equal exhaust out both pipes.

It sounds like you are describing a Silent Rider exhaust system. Yes it is a crossover, I had one on my last boat. I never noticed that one side had more flow than the other. Do you mean when you are sitting in your driveway with a hose hooked up, you see more water flowing out of the exhaust on one side? I can't see how you would tell under normal operating conditions on the lake.

Doesn't sound like a problem to me, and I loved the Silent Rider. I wish I had it on my current boat.

Both, in the driveway and when in the water at idle. In the driveway I can understand with it being a crossover if it is leaning more to one side. In the water it is level, and I can put my hand over the exhaust and you can definitely tell there is more pressure out of one than the other. Being a crossover I am not worried, just as long as my exhaust is able to get out, I don't care which side has more. I do like the sound, or lack there of.

You should have even flow through both exhaust ports. If you have one port obstructed it could cause excessive back pressure when running at higher rpms. I'd check it out (or have it checked if you're not mechanically inclined). If one of the baffles inside broke free you might be able to pull it out through one of the hose connections and avoid replacing the muffler for the time being.

Good luck.

I had the same thing on my '93' Echelon and always seemed to have more exhaust on one side then the other. However, I also had a problem of a baffle coming loose inside the muffler that caused the hose from the exhaust manifold to come off when you would hit it ... that was a real problem. The manufacturer wanted me to send it back to them for repair (under warranty) ... in the middle of the summer ... and they would get it back to me in a couple of weeks. NO WAY was I going to be out of boating for that long.

Found out that they would just cut it open, fix the broken baffle and then re-fiberglass it back together. So, I just did it myself. Cut it open, fixed it, and put it back together. Was quite easy to do.

If you hear something rattling around in it, I would take it off and cut it open. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry unless you are seeing some performance degradation.

/Steve

I felt as though is was supposed to be equal from both, I think I can get my hand down into it and feel around for a broken baffle. If it needs replacement, any suggestions where I might get one. I have looked on the web, I don't see anything like what I have.

If it needs replacement, any suggestions where I might get one.  I have looked on the web, I don't see anything like what I have.

I have never been able to locate Silent Rider mufflers anywhere other than Malibu Dealers. Cutting it open and reglassing would actually be pretty easy. You might want to consider it. The two separate Silent Riders for my Sporty are ~$160 each so fixing would definitely be more cost effective.

I did talk to the manufacturer ... must have been back in 94 or 95. Seem to remember them being in Ohio. The name and address was on a sticker on the muffler. You may want to check.

I cut mine open with a hack saw blade. Cut a window in the top of it as I could not get the broken baffle out the end. Used the piece I cut out and fiber glassed it back together. I think I bought the fiber glass kit at Walmart.

/Steve

Steve,

After you cut it open and repaired it, did you still have the unequal exhaust? I don't hear anything rattling in mine.

• 6 years later...

I had the same thing on my '93' Echelon and always seemed to have more exhaust on one side then the other. However, I also had a problem of a baffle coming loose inside the muffler that caused the hose from the exhaust manifold to come off when you would hit it ... that was a real problem. The manufacturer wanted me to send it back to them for repair (under warranty) ... in the middle of the summer ... and they would get it back to me in a couple of weeks. NO WAY was I going to be out of boating for that long.

Found out that they would just cut it open, fix the broken baffle and then re-fiberglass it back together. So, I just did it myself. Cut it open, fixed it, and put it back together. Was quite easy to do.

If you hear something rattling around in it, I would take it off and cut it open. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry unless you are seeing some performance degradation.

/Steve

Steve, I am having the same problem with the silent rider muffler. I need to check baffles inside. How do you tell if they are broke and where do you cut it to open it up? What did you use to repair where you cut? If you cut it in half, I would think it is very difficult to re fiberglass that with any strength. Can you check baffles with mirror or cut 2 inch hole at end of muffler?

More water flow out one side is normal. As stated, the muffler is a cross over that mixes the two exhaust outlets and their water flow, so don't construe water flow at the exhaust port to be representative of exhaust flow.

Also as mentioned, it should not rattle. (Loose baffles are usually caused by an overheat condition at some point during it's life)

Peter

Another way to check on water flow out the pipes is at speed behind the boat. You can see the water coming from the exhaust tips once the boat is on plane. I tend to check this on my boat when others are driving more as an impeller check. The silent riders are really quiet, great for the early morning slalom runs.