Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Connecting Video Sources to MaliView

Bake's Marine

Thought i would share this video with the crew, some capabilities the viper (Maliview) dash can do in a little video demo from Malibu Boats.

Who is going to install the first rear view camera for their "mirror"?

*With out Music*:

With Music:

-Paul

You're killin' me Paul. I can't even think about a new boat at the moment.

Whistling.gif Of course you can!!

:) With all this snow / rain / wind / flooding... I'm sure we will appreciate summer this year more than ever!

-Paul

I don't really get the whole video camera, gaming, movie thing with Maliview; its new its leading edge, these other options are great but its excess. I like Maliview don't get me wrong its has some great features, upgradable, easy to use and good visibility and does not have to be used for video or gaming. In my mind though I've always felt that simple gauges and swithches are a lot less prone to failure than circuit boards and alot less costly to replace. Its a boat there's moisture, vibration, dust and what ever else the elements can provide. I'm concerned after the warranty expires its going to be high maintenance. I just replaced a circuit board in my furnace and it wasn't cheap, so I'm comparing it to that experience. Am I off base with this? do yo think its going to stand up ok?

Thats one of the things that I liked about the SAN210 I was looking at. The dash was simple with gauges and switches even the ballast had gauges, no blingy stuff. Don't get me wrong I like Malibu, I'm looking at purchasing one but I am concerned about longevity and reliability of Maliview. I'm hoping more people chime in on this as it is one of the things Malibu is really promoting.

Plus1.gif

think about someone like me who leaves their boat on a lift in a salt water environment in the North East (i.e. read that as high humidity with the boat waking up every morning pretty wet). I could not even think about a system like this. I get nervous with my PP sitting under the cover.

I guess I could pull the boat every night and put it in the garage, but that kind of defeats the purpose of living where i live. i will have to stick it out with my old beatup '00 rlx...

I think people are too quick to realize the advancement made in electronics over the years. Today's electronics are leaps and bounds better than just a few years ago. How many people experience any electronic failure in your car anymore? While a boat may see a different environment than a car, I do believe that all of this has been tested and proven to work in a marine situation. Heck every engine is computer controlled in these boats and those computers operate without issue for the most part. JMTC

I think people are too quick to realize the advancement made in electronics over the years. Today's electronics are leaps and bounds better than just a few years ago. How many people experience any electronic failure in your car anymore? While a boat may see a different environment than a car, I do believe that all of this has been tested and proven to work in a marine situation. Heck every engine is computer controlled in these boats and those computers operate without issue for the most part. JMTC

I agree, coming from the service side of the dealership it's amazing how many failure points they have eliminated in the past 3 years due to advancing technology. Of course there will be some growing pains but everybody is headed in the right direction. Moving to the digital mux switches removed over 400 electrical connections and over 300 feet of wire in the boat (notes from my factory service training) With the 2009 gear and Viper dash system (Maliview) I'm really impressed how the system looks from a service and usability standpoint. The Maliview is a option so for those that aren't interested you don't have to get it, all though after you sit in a boat and play/use it, your going to want it!

The picture on the Maliview is phenomenal, we hooked up a DVD player to the display yesterday to test things out and it looked awesome!

Kingfish,

I agree it's a little much, but with the pre-set and depth plotter system it really allows the user to operate the boats systems (cruise, ballast, wedge) at a push of the button. It opened the doors to the whole digital media option since it has plenty of input and output options. Most people probably won't use the media end of it other than a rear-view camera and I know i will personally use it to thumb thru pictures at the end of the day or play back a video for somebody to help instruct them what they are doing wrong. There are lots of capabilities that i know Malibu owners will get creative with.

-Paul

Give it another 5 years and you'll be seeing some solar technology that no one could have ever imagined, what they are studying with solar cells and how they are able to deposit them with Silicon inks and other window glass component designs. It's going to blow everyone away with whats coming out, all those Matrix type movies; get ready for it :) What's going to be really cool is when you have your cluster gauges displayed on the windshield and rear view mirrors of all the newer cars sold, talk about getting rock chips Whistling.gif

Edited by 68Slalom

Well here's hoping its reliable as I'm getting in the VLX; not totally convinced on that. When I tested it I was a believer at first, easy to use, view, presets, overall look, etc.. But there is that doubt that exists; its new and maybe gauges and switches would have been the safer way to go. I like Malibu and I really like the WLM dealership so I'm willing to take a chance; just hope I'm not unknowingly part of their R&D.

Paul,

Are they able to use the Maliview screen for diagnostics on the boat systems?

What's the latest with those "mux" switches?

Aren't they problematic?

All issues with the MUX switches have been resolved after the last update. They had their issues when they first came out but i haven't had any customers have any issues for awhile now.

Paul,

Are they able to use the Maliview screen for diagnostics on the boat systems?

The possibility is there but it right now it doesn't tell you "your blower is not working" It does have a lot of warning features, and maintenance reminders you can set. It can do diagnostics and read fault codes for the engine (the standard screen could do it in 2008+ too)