Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New life vest law in MS

WakingMeHappy

In Mississippi the Army Corp of Engineers passed a new law (effective 5/22/09) requiring everyone (regardless of age) to wear a Coast Guard approved life vest any time the boat is in motion. The only exception is for fishing in a 17 foot+ boat and the trolling motor is used. I can’t help but wonder how long it will be before this become law all across the nation.

MalibuNation
In Mississippi the Army Corp of Engineers passed a new law (effective 5/22/09) requiring everyone (regardless of age) to wear a Coast Guard approved life vest any time the boat is in motion. The only exception is for fishing in a 17 foot+ boat and the trolling motor is used. I can’t help but wonder how long it will be before this become law all across the nation.

Is that just for the river and/or ocean? We have different laws for the Great Lakes (Coast Guard rules) vs inland lakes.

I thought it was bad that we couldn't just keep them under a seat or in a locker.

Edited by MalibuNation
I'm surprised Cali hasn't done this yet Frustrated.gif This should bring some new thinking in PFD design :)

No kidding. I give it 2 years before we get hosed here in Cali. "How dare some other state pass any resitriction-type law before California does!" sheesh...

I'm surprised Cali hasn't done this yet Frustrated.gif This should bring some new thinking in PFD design :)

They do make those PFD's that inflate when needed. I wore one in Florida on my uncle's fishing boat. It really wasn't that bad compared to wearing a ski vest all day. I'm not saying I liked it, but it is a decent option if one is required by law to worn at all times.

Why don't they just make it a law that no one is allowed on a boat unless they can swim?

Heck, it's a law that no one can drive a car without a license and insurance, right?

The day is coming fast were you need boat license, proof of insurance, and more. :(

Yes.gif We're partway there in Oregon with our "Boater Education Card". The thing that sucks though is the enforcement (or lack thereof). If you go buy a car, you have to provide a valid driver's license as well as proof of insurance. Not so in the boating world, anyone can walk in & buy a boat with no proof that they can actually legally go out & drive it. And because there also isn't very much enforcement actually on the water, there are still a lot of people at the helm without the required card. Enforcement of laws always has been & always will be the sticky point.

As far as the life vest law, I too am surprised that Cali wasn't the first to do that one.

Maybe we should be required to wear safety glasses, helmets, life jackets, knee pads, elbow pads, gloves, wrist guards, fire protective clothing, and that life alert "Help I have fallen and I can't get up" thing at all times. They better also outlaw shoe laces, I almost tripped on one a few years ago.

Stupid.gif

In Mississippi the Army Corp of Engineers passed a new law (effective 5/22/09) requiring everyone (regardless of age) to wear a Coast Guard approved life vest any time the boat is in motion. The only exception is for fishing in a 17 foot+ boat and the trolling motor is used. I can't help but wonder how long it will be before this become law all across the nation.

Can you post the link to the text of this new law?

In my opinion the Corps should spend more time re-thinking levee protection and flood mitgation projects than on boating regs and laws.

In Mississippi the Army Corp of Engineers passed a new law (effective 5/22/09) requiring everyone (regardless of age) to wear a Coast Guard approved life vest any time the boat is in motion. The only exception is for fishing in a 17 foot+ boat and the trolling motor is used. I can't help but wonder how long it will be before this become law all across the nation.

In my opinion the Corps should spend more time re-thinking levee protection and flood mitgation projects than on boating regs and laws.

It is for a 3 year study and on 4 lakes controlled by the army corp of engineers:

Four U.S. Army Corps of Engineers-Vicksburg District lakes in North Mississippi will participate in a 3-year mandatory life jacket wear test program beginning May 22, 2009. The areas selected for this study are Arkabutla Lake, Sardis Lake, Enid Lake, and Grenada Lake.

press release

Maybe we should be required to wear safety glasses, helmets, life jackets, knee pads, elbow pads, gloves, wrist guards, fire protective clothing, and that life alert "Help I have fallen and I can't get up" thing at all times. They better also outlaw shoe laces, I almost tripped on one a few years ago.

Stupid.gif

Well I guess you have seen me wakeboard. Funny, I don't remember meeting you.

BTW, I'm all for a boating license.

I took a voluntary test w/the great state of CA to get "certified". Of course, I only did this for the insurance break.

In Alberta this year everyone MUST have a boating license. Up until this year you required a boating license for any PWC or boat under 16'. With all the injuries to young kids on PWC they introduced the boating license. We knew it was only a matter of time until all boaters require one.

Since I started this thread I’ll clarify one point. Though I have a bass boat and a Malibu (sold my other boats a couple of years ago), my Bu does not go in the lakes this law effects (Arkabutla, Sardis, Enid and Grenada) as the water is rather muddy (or in the case of Sardis… disgusting!). They’re great for fishing, but not Bu’ing. If you ever come to MS with your Malibu go to Elvis Presley Lake in Tupelo.

No, No, they will just make everyone wear a vest if your on dry land or in a boat. That way your protected AND they don't have to do anything about the levee............

It is for a 3 year study and on 4 lakes controlled by the army corp of engineers:

Four U.S. Army Corps of Engineers-Vicksburg District lakes in North Mississippi will participate in a 3-year mandatory life jacket wear test program beginning May 22, 2009. The areas selected for this study are Arkabutla Lake, Sardis Lake, Enid Lake, and Grenada Lake.

press release

Brilliant, especially the part for sailboats. I am an avid windsurfer and that will fall under the "sailboat" classification. I hope the Kalifornia legislators do not see this new law...

-Dave

• All persons must wear a Type I, II, or III US Coast Guard-approved life jacket at all times while swimming outside of designated swimming areas. (Waivers may be issued by Park Managers to exempt participants of special events, such as triathlons, from this requirement while participating in the event.)

To me this is the worst part of the law. While I do not want to wear a Jacket while underway, I especially don't while we are just hanging out, swimming, etc. To have one on at all times is a little extreme in my opinion. Also these lakes are in areas that have many small towns and Mom/Pop gas stations, groceries, and bait stores that live and survive on summer economy. Looking at the small picture many people I know personally are looking into pulling their boats and selling their houses and moving to other lakes in TN and Ark. This law will impact the number of visitors and revenue that are keeping these areas alive.

This is the thin edge of the wedge. I can tell you right now the 3 year study will prove that this policy will save lives.

Environmentalists will be all over this study when it is done and will be promoting this policy in all lakes, not to save lives, but because it will make it more of a hassle to get out and enjoy destroy the naturalism of it all. They won't mind wearing life jackets in their canoe's.

Did you hear PETA wants to change the name "fish" to "sea kittens".