Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Turning on Speed Control while moving...

gregtay

Howdy Malibu-land.. silly question but one we couldn't figure out on our new 08 23LSV. Scenario is this:

Pull a rider with speed control... everything works great. Stop the boat (turn off the motor), change riders, start the boat and start to pull. Since the motor was turned off the speed control is now "OFF" (but everything is set up, its just not set to engage.) The driver doesn't realize speed control is "off" till they hit 20 and it doesn't engage. We have tried hitting every botton and we can't find a way to engage speed control while moving (the Red button does it when you are stopped, but nothing happens when moving.) The work around seems to be to reselect a rider preset (this works while moving and engaged speed control at the preset speed), but that usually messes up the config (wedge/ballast) we are running with at the moment (and it really doesn't work when we have someone driving who is not familiar with my boat.)

Soooooo... is there a trick to engaging speed control while moving?... or is this just one of those "design features" ;-)

Edited by gregtay

My boats older and has Perfect Pass but I'm pretty sure I can only turn my Perfect pass on or off when the boat is in Neutral. Maybe yours is the same way Dontknow.gif

Edited by bigD

hmmmm.. okay.. well i think we will stick with selecting a rider preset... that will engage the speed contol while at speed. It can have side effects (like someone selecting beginner and the ballast tanks start to drain), but we just manually turn them off. Thakns guys.

Sorry, I re-read my post & I don't think that I was clear. You have to slow down to 5-6mph below where the speed control is set before you can turn it on. Then once it's on, you can throttle back up to the set speed & it will engage as it normally will.

Sorry, I re-read my post & I don't think that I was clear. You have to slow down to 5-6mph below where the speed control is set before you can turn it on. Then once it's on, you can throttle back up to the set speed & it will engage as it normally will.

Got it. I will try that.. so if speed control is set to 20ish we should be able to "turn it on" if we slow down to 13-14ish.

Mine's the same way. Need to start over if you forget to turn it on at the beginning. Forget to do it enough times and you'll start to remember to turn it on first. Love those senior moments Whistling.gif

Check your manual.....it is easy to set up your speed control to come on every time you turn the key on.

Does that work for the older models too? I have a 2006 and would love it to start in the ON position

My 2004 LSV had Perfect Pass. It came on with the ignition. The Malibu speed control in my 2008 LSV had to be set to do that. Both systems remember the last settings.

• 3 weeks later...

It actually makes for some really "priceless" moments when you are pulling up a surfer and realize that you

have forgotten to engage the cruise control! Nothing like riding a surf board at 20 mph! Biggrin.gif

It actually makes for some really "priceless" moments when you are pulling up a surfer and realize that you

have forgotten to engage the cruise control! Nothing like riding a surf board at 20 mph! Biggrin.gif

I have been that surfer and my wife was the driver.. been there.. done that.. was an exciting ride!

For our boat slowing 5-6 mph does the trick, of course having picky riders also helps as they remind you.... Whistling.gif

Yup, that always does the trick :) I ask all the time now!

FWIW, my '06 can be turned on while moving, at least IIRC, if I set the cruise control speed 6 mph faster than

the speed I'm going. Once it kicks in, I can then just toggle back down to the speed desired. Same principle

as slowing the boat down 5-6 mph, but just changing a different variable.