Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Upholstery Q

I wish I could post pics but I'm out of town right now and my baby is at home right now. I was just wondering if anyone else has seen the same problem. I have found several double stitched seams coming apart. It appears that the seams are just rotting out or being eaten away by something. It is most prevalent on both seams that swoop down from the side on the rear back rest and also on the rear storage compartments.

Here's where my situation gets unique:

I just recently found out that my (non-malibu) dealer bought the boat as a repo, therefore someone owned it, then the bank owned it, then my dealer owned it, and now I own it. What a nightmare trying to figure how to get the remaining warranty transferred.

My question is this, can I just call Malibu directly about transferring the warranty and/or will they be able to tell me if this is covered. I know it might cost me a pretty penny to transfer the warranty but I've got a few issues that I feel should be covered under warranty and are just rediculous issues that I'm sure CC and MC owners don't have to deal with (on a regular basis). I also have a big mouth so I would hope they take care of me!!!!

Thanks for any input.

I wish I could post pics but I'm out of town right now and my baby is at home right now. I was just wondering if anyone else has seen the same problem. I have found several double stitched seams coming apart. It appears that the seams are just rotting out or being eaten away by something. It is most prevalent on both seams that swoop down from the side on the rear back rest and also on the rear storage compartments.

Here's where my situation gets unique:

I just recently found out that my (non-malibu) dealer bought the boat as a repo, therefore someone owned it, then the bank owned it, then my dealer owned it, and now I own it. What a nightmare trying to figure how to get the remaining warranty transferred.

My question is this, can I just call Malibu directly about transferring the warranty and/or will they be able to tell me if this is covered. I know it might cost me a pretty penny to transfer the warranty but I've got a few issues that I feel should be covered under warranty and are just rediculous issues that I'm sure CC and MC owners don't have to deal with (on a regular basis). I also have a big mouth so I would hope they take care of me!!!!

Thanks for any input.

Not trying to be a smart a$$, but, from what I understand MC has had vinyl an upholstery problems since the late 90s on every one of their boats. They cover that stuff under warranty no matter the year. I would definitely get in touch with your local Malibu dealer to find out the stipulations on your issues and I am sure they will help point you in the right direction.

I can almost GUARANTEE that the bank rep or dealer cleaned the upholstery with some NON-approved chemical. If you clean the interior with Fantastic, Simple Green, Super Clean, or any of a host of readily available surface cleaners often used on boats, it WILL EAT the seams in about 1 full season and your trouble begins. I would be dimes to donuts that the entire boat will be affected at some point or another.

Just my $.02/worth and certainly not trying to rain on your parade. :(

Had a buddy clean his boat REAL GOOD with Simple Green and the very next season it started and every year since, he has had multiple pieces replaced.

Hopefully, since the boat has a sketchy history of ownership, Malibu will make it right.

Best of luck,

I know all manufacturers have their issues, I was just kind of pi$$ed at the time and I thought I would bag on Malibu, please forgive me Notworthy.gif

That is a great point, it appears more like some kind of chemical has eaten the stitch.

I don't think my local dealer will work with me, any one have a number handy for Malibu customer service??

1-209-383-7491 ask for warranty/customer service. If the stitching is coming loose they will cover it under warranty we did a complete this summer. Malibu has the best warranty.. Thumbup.gif

1-209-383-7491 ask for warranty/customer service. If the stitching is coming loose they will cover it under warranty we did a complete this summer. Malibu has the best warranty.. Thumbup.gif

thanks for that number. Maybe they will give me some sympathy based on the fact that the boat has changed hands so many times in three years.

• 2 months later...

Ok, so it's been a while but I finally got around to calling Malibu about this issue. Thank the lord I did, I found out that my 06' vride wasn't actually sold until April of 07', therefore my warranty would be good until April of 2010! Any ways, that's beside the point because Patty at Malibu (a real sweetheart!) told me that the warranties that you pay to transfer on a used bu only cover the engine and the hull. The way I understood her is that the upholstery and any other items not associated with the engine or hull are automatically transferred with no fee. Now I just have to convince my dealership to see it my way tomorrow. Wish me luck!!!

The way I understand it, Malibu put the stitches too close together. That is what causes the seams to tear out. Urban legend? I dunno. Sounds good to me. I was the second owner (2004 23 LSV). I transferred the warranty when I bought the boat in 2005, but did not pay for the additional engine and hull warranty. At about 250 hours, I had 4 seat skins replaced due to the seams coming apart at the piping. The splits were right where we step to put boards in the racks, so.........high traffic areas only.The new vinyl was a perfect match. Malibu footed the bill........no questions asked. The rest of the vinyl was still fine when I sold the boat in 2008 with 850 hours on the meter. I probably used every cleaning chemical known to man on that boat, so I would be slow to say it was any particular cleaner that caused the seams to split.

I have had relatively few problems with the two Bu's I have owned. Two of the issues were a very close judgement call on whether or not they should have been covered by the warranty. Any reasonable person could have called it either way. Malibu has stepped up every time. I also have a solid relationship with my dealer. I do not know if that was a contributing factor or not. Either way, my warranty repairs have always been stress free. You should expect the same. No worries.

The way I understand it, Malibu put the stitches too close together. That is what causes the seams to tear out. Urban legend? I dunno. Sounds good to me. I was the second owner (2004 23 LSV). I transferred the warranty when I bought the boat in 2005, but did not pay for the additional engine and hull warranty. At about 250 hours, I had 4 seat skins replaced due to the seams coming apart at the piping. The splits were right where we step to put boards in the racks, so.........high traffic areas only.The new vinyl was a perfect match. Malibu footed the bill........no questions asked. The rest of the vinyl was still fine when I sold the boat in 2008 with 850 hours on the meter. I probably used every cleaning chemical known to man on that boat, so I would be slow to say it was any particular cleaner that caused the seams to split.

I have had relatively few problems with the two Bu's I have owned. Two of the issues were a very close judgement call on whether or not they should have been covered by the warranty. Any reasonable person could have called it either way. Malibu has stepped up every time. I also have a solid relationship with my dealer. I do not know if that was a contributing factor or not. Either way, my warranty repairs have always been stress free. You should expect the same. No worries.

Well, I just got back from my dealership, and I think I'm getting a completely new interior, he noticed that almost every seam was eaten away, including new chrome stuff that is corroded. Basically he told me he would do a complete warranty check of the boat and fix anything necessary!! I'm extremely happy with how things are going so far.

I did find out something that about made me sick. The dealership that sold me the boat swore up and down that the boat had never seen salt water. This technician pointed out the corrosion in 5 seconds!! I was looking for excessive rusting, but now I know what to look for. Needless to say my seller is about to get a peice of my mind!!!

Covered!!! thanks Nemiere and Crew

Glad to hear that worked out for yuh, I'm still awaiting the official verdict on mine. And I sent a "nice little email" to my seller, he hasn't responded, go figure. Does anyone know if it is or is not ok to post a warning about a particular dealer (non-Malibu), I have all kinds of information to support my claim much of which doesn't even pertain to the sale of my boat???!!!

Edited by nemire12

Glad to hear that worked out for yuh, I'm still awaiting the official verdict on mine. And I sent a "nice little email" to my seller, he hasn't responded, go figure. Does anyone know if it is or is not ok to post a warning about a particular dealer (non-Malibu), I have all kinds of information to support my claim much of which doesn't even pertain to the sale of my boat???!!!

Good luck Im currently having issues with malibu's warrenty. They told me that with the economy they are not covering some of the things they use to. My problem is the grey vyanl on the back of my sun deck is turning brown and they have made it a real hassel and $350 of my own money right now to even look at it. Im not to impressed with malibu's warrenty yet.

Good luck Im currently having issues with malibu's warrenty. They told me that with the economy they are not covering some of the things they use to. My problem is the grey vyanl on the back of my sun deck is turning brown and they have made it a real hassel and $350 of my own money right now to even look at it. Im not to impressed with malibu's warrenty yet.

Along with the seams coming apart on the rear deck, I was also having some staining coming through. My current dealer told me it was the glue seeping through and that definitley should be covered. Not saying for sure that's your problem but an idea to go back to your dealer with.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, got some bad news literally seconds ago. They may cover the rear sunpad, but it doesn't sound like anything else will be covered. I guess the previous owner did in fact use a harsh cleaner which is eating the seams. I can't even type right now I'm so pissed off!!

Ok, got some bad news literally seconds ago. They may cover the rear sunpad, but it doesn't sound like anything else will be covered. I guess the previous owner did in fact use a harsh cleaner which is eating the seams. I can't even type right now I'm so pissed off!!

That sucks, wow if it helps you gave a great education to us all that read this. Call Malibu direct and talk to CHe he helped us out with most of the interior vinyls and it was well under $1000 including a new drivers seat! He can be a little hard to understand on the phone but he's the man. Then you have to find a good upholstery person but thats easy. The vinyls come already cut and sewn to form. Good luck maybe a little legal pressure eh, to the seller?

That sucks, wow if it helps you gave a great education to us all that read this. Call Malibu direct and talk to CHe he helped us out with most of the interior vinyls and it was well under $1000 including a new drivers seat! He can be a little hard to understand on the phone but he's the man. Then you have to find a good upholstery person but thats easy. The vinyls come already cut and sewn to form. Good luck maybe a little legal pressure eh, to the seller?

Now that I've calmed down a little, I can type. I probably will talk to someone at Malibu about the skins. I have a good stapler and I think I can do it myself. Does anyone know if the edges of all the cushions are glued then stapled, or just stapled??

Just stapled, I did the job last year on an 01 VLX, big job, I farmed out alot of the big pieces that were pretty complicated. The seat bases were easy to get done, but it takes two people, a nice sunny day, and the proper stapler.

-Chris

I was told that just the skins would cost around 3K!! Maybe they were adding installation. 1k is managable, maybe it would be less since I don't need the rear sun pads, rear seat back rest, or the driver seat.