Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

newB

badluck

what's happening all? Ok, now that thats done. 1st ? 06 vlx with 3 ballast. Can a bow ballast be installed and monitored by the dash controller? I'm guessing it was an option in 06?

I would imagine the iirc is replaceable but what's the deal with the deck? Does the tank mount below what is visible from the top? What are these ballast tanks made of? aluminum or plastic?

the tanks are poly plastic and mount above the floor, below the seats. On the 2006 VLX Malibu used two different molds for the boats with and without bow ballast. The front bow seats actually sit on the bow tank. The boats without bow ballast have fiberglass built in seat bases.

Not all vlx`s have the seat bases as part of the top deck mold you will need to look at it. I have an 07 and mine was removable. 6 screws if memory is correct. If you do have a boat with the seat base is part of the mold you will have to run a fat sac. do not cut out the base.. I have been warned that it is structural.. keep your eyes open as i will be posting up my bow ballast install as soon as the snow stops falling. I added the 1000# triangle under the seats and switched at the dash.

p.s. Welcome to the crew. Thumbup.gif

Is llrc the brain? Are the seats molded to the boat? I'm trying to visualize why or why this can't be modified. Thanks wakegirl and kb3.

on my 06 247, the seat bases are carpeted pieces that just bolt in and are not molded into the floor. I can just unbolt the seat bases and install a hard tank...I have bought a hard tank, but have not found the time to install it yet. The wiring for the ballast pumps already exists and when I bought my tank, it came with the sender for the ballast gauge.

Sorry about that. I mis read. So you are doing the factory way. What are the material cost for that? Will that tie into the mls?

I am doing it the factory way with the hard tank. There are several other pieces including a carpeted UHMW plastic piece that lays on the tank (makes a more solid foundation for the seats to sit on). There is also a carpeted piece that closes off the walk-thru. I have yet to buy pumps, switches or plumbing. I think I paid around $250 for the tank and both carpeted pieces.

Personaly I am going with the sac for the weight. If you can get a tank and have the removable base you could hook it all up. tha tank will be hard as malibu wont sell it .

Never say never Whistling.gif

Not all vlx`s have the seat bases as part of the top deck mold you will need to look at it. I have an 07 and mine was removable. 6 screws if memory is correct. If you do have a boat with the seat base is part of the mold you will have to run a fat sac. do not cut out the base.. I have been warned that it is structural.. keep your eyes open as i will be posting up my bow ballast install as soon as the snow stops falling. I added the 1000# triangle under the seats and switched at the dash.

I believe that what we're talking about is specific to '06.

I have the front ballast in the boat and I thought it was only around 250 upfront, as wakegirl said the VLX loves weight up front, If I was you I would bag the idea of adding the front tank and get the fat sac that will fit in the front storage area and wire it in on a switch. (Fly High Pro X Series Integrated Bow Sac). The bag can hold up to 800lbs, I have anywhere from 200-400lbs extra up front over the stock ballast everytime I go out. So since you would have to hack the crap out of the boat and some how get your hands on the front tank, gauge, etc. Which with the exception of a few here is next to impossible to get, I would get the pro sack plumb it into the boat on a seperate switch and have more control then most, on how much weight is up front and it will probably cost a lot less. Oh and welcome to the crew Thumbup.gif

I have the front ballast in the boat and I thought it was only around 250 upfront, as wakegirl said the VLX loves weight up front, If I was you I would bag the idea of adding the front tank and get the fat sac that will fit in the front storage area and wire it in on a switch. (Fly High Pro X Series Integrated Bow Sac). The bag can hold up to 800lbs, I have anywhere from 200-400lbs extra up front over the stock ballast everytime I go out. So since you would have to hack the crap out of the boat and some how get your hands on the front tank, gauge, etc. Which with the exception of a few here is next to impossible to get, I would get the pro sack plumb it into the boat on a seperate switch and have more control then most, on how much weight is up front and it will probably cost a lot less. Oh and welcome to the crew Thumbup.gif

That's part of your problem, you don't even know how much weight your running.... Tease.gif

I believe that what we're talking about is specific to '06.

I realize that you are talking about an 06. late in 06 is when they quit using the 2 differant top decks. so he could have either version.

Kb3 did country boats hook you up? I chatted with them a few weeks ago. They seem pretty cool.

Boat Country does a great job with everything, but they could not get the tank for me. I will PM you with the details.

I went with the tank to keep everything below the seats and out of sight. I do not believe that you could put much weight in if you just use bags under the seats. I really am not a fan of bags sitting on top and in the way...but then again I don't ride like you do Tim Crazy.gif

I also have the bow sac and calculated at 250 pounds, I was only able to get 30 gallons before the seats started to lift a little. I drained the water into 5 gallon buckets to get a true estimate and at 8.49 lbs. per gallon :) I'm sure there is a way to get a bit more water in there, but the sac is much bigger than the space I have under the bow seats so even if you can get another 2 gallons or so you not looking at that much more weight up front unless you go with the lead pellet bags which I will be ordering this winter, that way you can move the weight around in the boat any time Thumbup.gif I found on mine that 400lbs up front trims out the wake for skiing, but just sitting in the water with that much weight up front the boat doesn't look right, that weight distribution is just for slalom skiing. Here is the link if anyone is interested

http://www.pop-products.com/index.htm

Holy cow!

I put 4 pop bags in the nose of my boat (with no built in bow ballast) and I have a hard time from chili dipping it when turning around.

That's part of your problem, you don't even know how much weight your running.... Tease.gif

Sure he does, fill 'er up!!

Holy cow!

I put 4 pop bags in the nose of my boat (with no built in bow ballast) and I have a hard time from chili dipping it when turning around.

Sure he does, fill 'er up!!

Yea well, I will admit if there is not water flowing out of the drain and the vent it's not full. I have about 400lbs in pop sacs, I had 3 bags wedged under the tank at the nose and the rest about mid ship, not to mention some extra items here and there, plus people. The only time I had a problem dipping the front was when I had a full boat, including 2 adults up front, but the wake was awesome! Crazy.gif