Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

bolt size of '87 skier engine mounts

I am going to go look at an '87 skier this week, and was wondering if anyone knew the size of the bolts on the engine mounts. I am asking so that I can check and see if the wood at the mounts is good. Thank you for your help.

martinarcher
I am going to go look at an '87 skier this week, and was wondering if anyone knew the size of the bolts on the engine mounts. I am asking so that I can check and see if the wood at the mounts is good. Thank you for your help.

Not sure. Here's a pic of my 88' all torn apart after the blower hose got wrapped up in the driveshaft while wakeboarding and tore up the transmission seal. I need to put all these pics together and do a how-to on replacing the rear transmission seal on a velvet drive transmission. I would guess you are talking about the bolts that hold the engine mounts to the stringers. I would guess they are 1/2". My boat is in storage or I could check for you.

Just some advice when looking at an older boat....

1. Run a compression check.

2. Test drive if you can. I wakeboarded and slalomed behind mine before I bought it. If the seller refuses, that a red flag.

3. Crawl up into the bow and look for fiberglass damage with a flashlight.

4. Inspect at least a couple spark plugs - they tell a lot about how the motor is running.

5. I used the butt end of a hammer to check the stringers and floor for soft spots, but the floor was all new in our boat.

6. Give the interior a good look. If it is original it probably will be showing some wear.

7. Turn the wheel left and right - make sure the steering cable is free and not bound up. If so it might need replaced.

8. Crawl under the boat and look for dings and chips in the hull.

9. If the boat was well taken care of the gelcoat should be pretty shiny. If it is chalky it could indicate the owner didn't wax it as often as needed. It can be wetsanded and polished to look better if need be.

rightrear.JPG

frontright.JPG

frontleft.JPG

engine.JPG