Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Axis Wake Research A22 - Photo Review

RiverRunner

Even if I was looking for a budget boat and I was wake boarding interested only, I wouldn't buy it. I think Malibu made a big mistake in this marketing strategy, even if the reviews are some what positive you still have to get the feedback from the consumers, I don't know why malibu would put their reputation on the line like that Whistling.gif

That's why it doesn't say Malibu on it....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 68Slalom

• Pistol Pete

• RiverRunner

• Jimmypooh

Even if I was looking for a budget boat and I was wake boarding interested only, I wouldn't buy it. I think Malibu made a big mistake in this marketing strategy, even if the reviews are some what positive you still have to get the feedback from the consumers, I don't know why malibu would put their reputation on the line like that Whistling.gif

From the stand point they are backing it "their" malibu engineered design (on some parts and maybe not others) as a low budget boat, but now Axis is associated with Malibu unless you see it different. They are using malibu's reputation to sell a low budget boat. Shouldn't that be the v-ride and keep it exclusive, not hand out engineering design for market share. I just don't think it was a good idea for malibu to get into this situation, just build the budget boat and call it a whole other line that they offer instead of joining in with somebody else!

From the stand point they are backing it "their" malibu engineered design (on some parts and maybe not others) as a low budget boat, but now Axis is associated with Malibu unless you see it different. They are using malibu's reputation to sell a low budget boat. Shouldn't that be the v-ride and keep it exclusive, not hand out engineering design for market share. I just don't think it was a good idea for malibu to get into this situation, just build the budget boat and call it a whole other line that they offer instead of joining in with somebody else!

I would think that the idea of creating another brand is to eventually move away from Malibu. Yes, they may be using the Malibu name to help them start up, but that's understandable. I would be disappointed to see Malibu continue to be closely associated with Axis, but for now it's a place to start. You don't see Cadillac making a version of the Cobalt for a reason. They may want to show Malibu as a Luxury line rather than having a sub-line that is entry level. I wouldn't be surprised to see the ride series get phased out all together unless they are using Axis only to grab the market from MC (from the pickle fork). Either way, I think they've created a line of boats that appeals to a different type of buyer. And to keep that separation simple for the consumer, they have created a new brand. And as for putting their reputation on the line...They haven't. They've come out and said it...This is a different boat....Axis. If you want a Malibu, get a Malibu, but if you want something cheaper and less luxurious, take a look at an Axis.

I would think that the idea of creating another brand is to eventually move away from Malibu. Yes, they may be using the Malibu name to help them start up, but that's understandable. I would be disappointed to see Malibu continue to be closely associated with Axis, but for now it's a place to start. You don't see Cadillac making a version of the Cobalt for a reason. They may want to show Malibu as a Luxury line rather than having a sub-line that is entry level. I wouldn't be surprised to see the ride series get phased out all together unless they are using Axis only to grab the market from MC (from the pickle fork). Either way, I think they've created a line of boats that appeals to a different type of buyer. And to keep that separation simple for the consumer, they have created a new brand. And as for putting their reputation on the line...They haven't. They've come out and said it...This is a different boat....Axis. If you want a Malibu, get a Malibu, but if you want something cheaper and less luxurious, take a look at an Axis.

Good point, but what separates Malibu from everyone else is the "wedge" now it's on another boat, this is the way it starts. I've seen this in the high tech industry for over 20 years. For market share it's great, if that is all you care about, for reputation and long term sales of your own product it's bad.

Good point, but what separates Malibu from everyone else is the "wedge" now it's on another boat, this is the way it starts. I've seen this in the high tech industry for over 20 years. For market share it's great, if that is all you care about, for reputation and long term sales of your own product it's bad.

I understand that the wedge is a big deal for people buying Wakeboard boats, but I doubt that is most people's "make-or-break." We've heard a lot of things in this string alone that make Malibu boats what they are: quality, Illusion tower, clean look, proven wake, luxury, Malivue, etc. The issue I see here is you are taking a piece of technology from the boat and equating that to an entire industry. The Tech industry is based on just that....Tech. Who ever has the best Technology wins. In the boating industry that is not the case just as it is not in the auto industry. Sync, now available in Fords, did not make their sales go through the roof. I agree with you that they need to be different boats, but in general this is a good strategic move for the parent company.

I understand that the wedge is a big deal for people buying Wakeboard boats, but I doubt that is most people's "make-or-break." We've heard a lot of things in this string alone that make Malibu boats what they are: quality, Illusion tower, clean look, proven wake, luxury, Malivue, etc. The issue I see here is you are taking a piece of technology from the boat and equating that to an entire industry. The Tech industry is based on just that....Tech. Who ever has the best Technology wins. In the boating industry that is not the case just as it is not in the auto industry. Sync, now available in Fords, did not make their sales go through the roof. I agree with you that they need to be different boats, but in general this is a good strategic move for the parent company.

A piece of technology that has a patten, otherwise any company could use it. It's not a huge selling point in a true wake boarding boat but it's the only option on a Malibu as of the introduction since the Axis appeared and it was a major selling point for me, if sanger or supra would have offered the wedge I would have bought one of them because they were a lot less $$$. It's hard to beat the ease of that much weight at the push of a button and not loose any interior space. That is just my point of view, for most people that are either wake boarders or skiers the decision is very easy, you buy one or the other. When your trying to find the best crossover boat there is no comparison and even though the cost is significant for the addition of the wedge the fit and finish is the best in comparison. There are other foils available but not adjustable as the wedge, plus when I bought the boat the price versus the entire package was the best. This could be discussed until the end of the night, but I truly feel when you have an option that no other company can use you don't let another company franchise on it :unsure:

I think it's a smart marketing move on Malibu's part. Granted, the Malibu loyalists may not like it, but it's not a Malibu. Sure it may share a similar bottom and wedge, but you can tell it's not trying to be a Malibu or high end. Why not use the Malibu name? It's a tough market and tough economy. Would you guys really be talking about it or would people really be looking at it hard if was from an unknown startup company? It's getting press because it's made by Malibu. Plus they have a built in dealer network that will buy them. I don't know if they'll really separate them over the years if Axis takes off. It may be like Lexus/Toyota or Acura/Nissan. Those companies have worked successfully with two brands under the same roof.

I think Malibu putting out the Axis was smart for several reasons. To me, Tige stole Malibu's tower for 09 and now Tige looks like a Malibu. I think it's funny how Malibu seemed to turn around and come out with Axis, that sort of resembles a Tige RZ2 at a price point. The graphic sort of looks like a Mastercraft. I'm sure they were out to play on that too. Axis is a price-point "poke" at MC. In a way they have devalued the expensive picklefork designs and given customers an affordable picklefork. Now that they have done Axis, it will be tougher for Moomba and some of the other companies to come out with pickleforks without looking like copycats. Smart all the way around. Anyway, many of us on forums may oppose the Axis in some way, but I agree, I think it could be a hit with the public.

It would be interesting to see how many people bought a Malibu for the "wedge". I may be in the minority, but my wedge is sitting in the garage on the shelf. And I know quite a few other foilers & boarders who strictly use weight, no wedge.

But then again most of the Malibu owners I know have Titan towers too so what do I know? Tease.gif

It would be interesting to see how many people bought a Malibu for the "wedge". I may be in the minority, but my wedge is sitting in the garage on the shelf. And I know quite a few other foilers & boarders who strictly use weight, no wedge.

But then again most of the Malibu owners I know have Titan towers too so what do I know? Tease.gif

Simply the quality design and performance (which includes the wedge) is what drew me in. If I were to get my dedicated slalom boat then no wedge, but with our crossover (SLXI) it was a must to work for slalom and wakeboarding. I bet more use their boats for a variety of water sports than are dedicated to one discipline therefore, the wedge plays a significant role.

Simply the quality design and performance (which includes the wedge) is what drew me in. If I were to get my dedicated slalom boat then no wedge, but with our crossover (SLXI) it was a must to work for slalom and wakeboarding. I bet more use their boats for a variety of water sports than are dedicated to one discipline therefore, the wedge plays a significant role.

Totally agree, fit and finish, tower plus wedge were the main selling points for me and our family and I truly believe that for the average water sport lover across the board who like to do both and know what they want Malibu would be on the top of the list. If I had to do it all over I may not have gone with the Illusion X tower, but that is just based on stability not looks.

What we don't hear from, are other people that own Bu's who haven't even heard of the crew and have never posted on any internet boards. Just last year at the WOW we were unfortunate to have to launch several times and met 2 Bu owners that didn't even know that weekend was the WOW weekend, had no clue who the Malibucrew was, so if you really took a poll, you couldn't base it just from the peoples responses and statements on these forums/boards because we're leaving many people out of it. Plus to add that magazine reviews are not always what the consumer wants to hear, they are also only opinions unless you get a true review from the pros and consumers that have participated and I haven't seen one of those in long time without being heavily one sided.

We went to the Portland Boat Show Sunday and took a look at the A22. It wasn't my cup of tea, but I can see where it would be appealing to someone on a bit of a budget who wants an 'edgy' wakeboarding boat. This is going to be a tough economy for all boat manufacturers. It was a bit depressing at the show seeing how few people were there. Most of the dealers had not a single person in there area looking at the boats. The owners and salesmen were all sitting around looking glum. This was towards the end of the day on the second day of the show, so it may pick up more as the week goes on.

There seems to be two lines of thought here..........

1. Malibu making a budget entry level boat

2. Master craft building a 30 ft cruiser

I have to say that the MC dealer was absolutly convinced that MC was doing the right thing and Malibu making a big mistake???? I had to say huh?

BTW- I cant stand the way the new MCs look. I guess edgy is the term that was used earlier. I love clean lines.

I dont like it, seems to me if a person didnt have enough $$ to buy a new malibu... get a used one!! One of the reasons I bought a bu was because of their fit and finish and their classiness. It makes me cringe to think that there are going to be these tinny pieces of crap running around the lake basically giving malibu a bad image.

On another note the first time I seen it makes me think malibu is fed up with everyone copying them so maybe its just a big F-U . just a thought.

Well, keep in mind it doesn't say Malibu on the side, it says Axis. And for a reason. Sure they're using the Malibu name for recognition, but it is a different boat and a different company. Imagine what many Malibu loyalists and everyone else would have said if Malibu came out with a picklefork! They would have been accused of copy MC, of following the trend, that it doesn't measure up, that they sold out, that they're copying Tige. I don't think you have to cringe. It's just another boat and like I said it does not say Malibu on it. I do think it was a smart move. I don't know if it's a big F.U., but I think it does undermine MC and other pickleforks.

Edited by deltadayz
There seems to be two lines of thought here..........

1. Malibu making a budget entry level boat

2. Master craft building a 30 ft cruiser

I have to say that the MC dealer was absolutly convinced that MC was doing the right thing and Malibu making a big mistake???? I had to say huh?

BTW- I cant stand the way the new MCs look. I guess edgy is the term that was used earlier. I love clean lines.

I wish it would have been the other way around for resale value, could you imagine how cool it would look; a 30'+ Malibu cruiser with a response tied behind it Thumbup.gif

Edited by 68Slalom
I heard 45 with trailer fully loaded as well.Seems pretty good for a new boat.I really dont understand why anybody would buy a new budget boat with the crazy deals on used Wakesetters right now.

Not sure if this has been linked or not, but here it is anyway:

axis youtube

On their site the boat was listed at base price at $39,995 (as pictured $44,545). I imagine most would be in the mid 40's looking at the long list of options.

Economy seems to make it hard for about anything new right now, and I remember new 08 Vrides with trailer for sale on here late last year close to mid 30's, & still not selling.

Were these same conversations about cheap quality, fit and finish, worries of resale and damaging the Malibu name, going on when the Sportster came out? Or worse yet, the Tantrum? Seems to me those boats would have played a bigger role in damaging the Malibu reputation than a completely different brand. The Sportster ended up playing a huge role in getting some into the higher end 'bu's AND kept me out of a Sanger. The Sporster also ended up a pretty big hit and if you poll the hardcore guys, I'll bet a lot of them would like to see it back. I would...

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the hydraulic wedge is patented, not the original or even the floating wedge. I could be wrong on that one though.

I must say I like it...its different to some degree yet familar in another. Also it looks like they took many of the ideas and suggestions from this board and put them in the boat...yet people still complain. Dontknow.gif It is smart move on malibu's part. Just like Skiers Choice with the Supra and moomba. Axis Thumbup.gif

I agree,

As long as the expectations are set by the dealers and that this is a new brand, not Malibu. When I ride in a Moomba and see what I feel are lower quality components, I don't run away from a SUPRA. There are a lot of people who don't really care about the little things, and sometimes I kinda wish I was one of them. But I'm not. Love my 12 year old Malibu. Still is in excellent shape, and I know a 12 year old Moomba, or even Tantrum, wouldn't be that way.

Has anyone noticed that the Axis website looks better and is designed better than the Malibu site... even though it doesn't have as much data on it.