Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Axis Wake Research A22 - Photo Review

RiverRunner

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 68Slalom

• Pistol Pete

• RiverRunner

• apwrx

Thanks for the pics. Ken.

I wonder what other models they'll offer?

edit: no ski pylon I notice. Guess you can't pull any tubers or skiers.

Edited by Pistol Pete
Wake Outlaws stopped by to checkout everyone setting up for the 2009 Houston International Boat Show and found Darryl Moore Marine unwrapping a much talked about Axis Wake Research A22, checkout the photo review by clicking HERE.

River Runner,

Is the dealer who was setting it up a Malibu dealer? I noticed the towel warming tray over the engine looks just like the one in my Malibu. Didn't have time to study photos enough to notice any other similar/same parts. Anyone else?

Nasty. Also looks like the tower is going to have structure issues like the Blade tower did. This is the budget Malibu right? Looks budget. Strait from China budget. I wonder how much Master craft had to do with this considering it looks like a X-STAR. Looks like cheaper vinyl as well. I really didn't like it. No attraction for me whatsoever. I will stick to the VLX or just get an X-Star.

This reminds me of people that make kit cars.

Assuming Malibu's intention was to build an edgy budget boat for the younger crowd, I would say they nailed it. Bringing out a budget boat right now is sheer genius.

I dunno.

My G.F. didn't like those "see through" under seat panels. (what are they thinking?)

Also, that lack of a windshield on the sides is pretty weird, don't take this one out on a windy water spray day.

And, I'm not diggin' the un-finished look of the V-drive cover. I hope that thing is removable for servicing.

Don't get me started on that tower.

The see-thru seat bases didn't do anything for me either. But it does give me some ideas for what to put in there...... different colored inlays, LEDs, chrome, carbon fiber, etc. Could make for an easy custom mod.

I look forward to someone with some power really testing the tower.

i just got back from a full day at the houston boat show and i will have to say that the pics dont do much justice. i think that it looks much better in person. the boat itself seems to be pretty stout. i was really surprised to see one there.

Assuming Malibu's intention was to build an edgy budget boat for the younger crowd, I would say they nailed it. Bringing out a budget boat right now is sheer genius.

I agree you are correct. They did a great job for low budget. This will lower malibu sales from what I can see. When I was younger I would have probably bought to save the money. But how much is it? I am sure around 45,000.00 That is where the VLX Started out in 02. What will happen as you add racks, bimini, and other upgrades. Same place as a VLX in 02. Plus a 5000.00 charge for the trailer. I think they should have used ballast over the wedge to save money. The throttle is the same as the Bu. Why not a less expensive version. The dash looks less expensive. I also don't like the cutouts below the seats. And removable cusions not attached are bad for travel. I have towed many boats and seem to have problems with Nautique seats and tige seats almost blowing out the boat. So the stadium seat I believe is bad as well.

I am sure it is a great boat. I like the front of it. Pickle fork. There is just lack of comfort like a tige vs. malibu or any boat brand for that fact. I like to feel comfortable on my boat. My friend has a supreme and it just feels like junk compared to the Bu.

Wake Outlaws stopped by to checkout everyone setting up for the 2009 Houston International Boat Show and found Darryl Moore Marine unwrapping a much talked about Axis Wake Research A22, checkout the photo review by clicking HERE.

River Runner,

Is the dealer who was setting it up a Malibu dealer? I noticed the towel warming tray over the engine looks just like the one in my Malibu. Didn't have time to study photos enough to notice any other similar/same parts. Anyone else?

Yes Darryl Moore Marine is a Malibu dealer, I bought my bu from them.

I would like to see the boat in person, but like others have said, it reminds me of a Mastercraft and I didnt like those to begin with.

Well they have one at the Portland boat show.I like it better in person than in pictures. It does have a certain cheap feel to it but i felt that about alot of the boats there. If i was in the market for my first wakeboat id definately give Axis a serious look they really arent bad at all. Thumbup.gif I also see the open spaces under the seat begging for some frosted panels backlit with led.That would be my firts mod. Clap.gif

Some nice features (snap in/out carpet, under floor ballast, space in bow). Graphically a much more current look than the old and even new VRides. As a wakeboarding/surfing only family we would for sure looked at this boat. Too bad it only includes a 2yr warranty. Seems like an odd way to differentiate itself from Malibu brand, especially for "entry" level owners. Is it $40k w/trailer?Interested in on water review, wake etc.

I agree you are correct. They did a great job for low budget. This will lower malibu sales from what I can see. When I was younger I would have probably bought to save the money. But how much is it? I am sure around 45,000.00 That is where the VLX Started out in 02. What will happen as you add racks, bimini, and other upgrades. Same place as a VLX in 02. Plus a 5000.00 charge for the trailer. I think they should have used ballast over the wedge to save money. The throttle is the same as the Bu. Why not a less expensive version. The dash looks less expensive. I also don't like the cutouts below the seats. And removable cusions not attached are bad for travel. I have towed many boats and seem to have problems with Nautique seats and tige seats almost blowing out the boat. So the stadium seat I believe is bad as well.

I am sure it is a great boat. I like the front of it. Pickle fork. There is just lack of comfort like a tige vs. malibu or any boat brand for that fact. I like to feel comfortable on my boat. My friend has a supreme and it just feels like junk compared to the Bu.

Hey pat I belive the 45k price is full loaded with the trailer.

I think axis is hitting a mark with this boat I mean fully loaded for less than 50k is awsome if the wake will hold up. Did any one else notice that from the looks of it the running surface of the hull looks alot like the 09 vlx? I think the cutouts on the seats are funky but with 50 bucks in some plexi or S.S. mesh they will look cool. I have to agree the windshield sucks but the tower is growing on me. maybe powder coat the leggs to match the hull? I am more interested in the plug and play ballast. Any one hear anything about it? I know we will have one at the seattle boat show cant wait to climb on it.

I heard 45 with trailer fully loaded as well.Seems pretty good for a new boat.I really dont understand why anybody would buy a new budget boat with the crazy deals on used Wakesetters right now.

I noticed the towel warming tray over the engine looks just like the one in my Malibu. Didn't have time to study photos enough to notice any other similar/same parts. Anyone else?

They used the Wedge and it looks like they found a fitting home for the 2008 LSV dash.

If I glanced at it from a distance at the lake, I would probably think Xstar. I will be interested to see a good review, but It's not my taste.

I am really not surprised to hear most of the people on this site say they dislike the boat in one way or another (style, cheap, unBu like). They are not trying to appeal to current Bu owners (us). That would be a bad thing. They would cannibalize their current market. In a single strategic move, Axis will capture those who want a Bu, but can't afford it, grab some MC fans (for style) that don't mind the less luxurious comforts for a cheaper price, and compete with cheaper brands such as Moomba and tige.

Basically instead of being a cheaper version of their boat, I feel they have built a cheaper version of a MC that will also compete with Moomba and Tige. They have some smart executives over there. Also keep in mind that the young people that have less money, want a hip new style (pickle fork, clear seat bottoms), and probably want to do the work of modding there own boat.

Our opinions, while valuable to other Bu owners, are not the same as their target audience. While I might think the boat is not right for me, I think they hit a grand slam as far as making a boat the public will like and pointing the company in the right direction especially considering the current economic status.

I am really not surprised to hear most of the people on this site say they dislike the boat in one way or another (style, cheap, unBu like). They are not trying to appeal to current Bu owners (us). That would be a bad thing. They would cannibalize their current market. In a single strategic move, Axis will capture those who want a Bu, but can't afford it, grab some MC fans (for style) that don't mind the less luxurious comforts for a cheaper price, and compete with cheaper brands such as Moomba and tige.

Basically instead of being a cheaper version of their boat, I feel they have built a cheaper version of a MC that will also compete with Moomba and Tige. They have some smart executives over there. Also keep in mind that the young people that have less money, want a hip new style (pickle fork, clear seat bottoms), and probably want to do the work of modding there own boat.

Our opinions, while valuable to other Bu owners, are not the same as their target audience. While I might think the boat is not right for me, I think they hit a grand slam as far as making a boat the public will like and pointing the company in the right direction especially considering the current economic status.

Well Put! Thumbup.gif

Well Put! Thumbup.gif

I'll stick with my 94 model.........

AF1

Adam McCall of Axis Wake Research talks about Axis and the A22, check it out by clicking HERE (the video is after the text)

Edited by RiverRunner

Even if I was looking for a budget boat and I was wake boarding interested only, I wouldn't buy it. I think Malibu made a big mistake in this marketing strategy, even if the reviews are some what positive you still have to get the feedback from the consumers, I don't know why malibu would put their reputation on the line like that Whistling.gif

Adam McCall of Axis Wake Research talks about Axis and the A22, check it out by clicking HERE (the video is after the text)

no link?

Click the HERE above same link as the first post.