Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Garage

txdyna65

Im having a new garage built next week and had a couple of questions.

The Garage is 18' wide and 30' long, so no issues there. The problem is the door. Im having a 10' X 10' door installed, will this be wide enough and will it be tall enough to fit my 23 LSV with the tower up? The boat sits on a extreme trailer. I would rather not get a bigger door if I dont have to, so Im hoping the 10 X 10 door is enough to get it in with the tower up.

martinarcher

The Garage is 18' wide and 30' long, so no issues there. The problem is the door. Im having a 10' X 10' door installed, will this be wide enough and will it be tall enough to fit my 23 LSV with the tower up? The boat sits on a extreme trailer. I would rather not get a bigger door if I dont have to, so Im hoping the 10 X 10 door is enough to get it in with the tower up.

Not sure what the height differences are between the Extreme and DHM trailers are, but the thread below lists the 04'-07' 23 LSV with the DHM trailer with tower up at 9' 5".

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....hl=tower+height

Not sure what the height differences are between the Extreme and DHM trailers are, but the thread below lists the 04'-07' 23 LSV with the DHM trailer with tower up at 9' 5".

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....hl=tower+height

Thanks Martin, I did read that topic before, but wasnt sure if there was much of a difference in the trailers. Ive done lots of measuring and just want to be sure that my door is big enough. Such a big price difference if I go to a bigger door and Im trying to avoid that. We measured or tried to measure from the tower down and get 9'4" to 9'6" depending on who is measuring. I figure its going to be a tight fit, width and height wise, but just thought I would ask on here and get some feedback.

Yes.

10'x10' is good for any model with tower up, racks/biminis/etc installed.

My shop door is 10'x12', but I've not seen anything over 10'. Your finished door opening will likely be close to 9'10" with a 10' door.

Peter

When I built my house I put in a stall that is 14' wide by 50' deep. I used a 10 x 10 door. At the time we had a small travel trailer and I coild back it in underneath the 10' height. We got a new trailer that has more ground clearance which is better for dry camping in the Ochoco National Forest. The new trailer just misses fitting under the 10' high door. I wish I would have used a slightly taller door now.

The point is your tastes might change and you will end up with an RV that might need more than 10 x 10.

We sunk the RV stall down so that the 10 x 10 door was the same height as the two 9' wide x 8' tall regular doors.

If you can go wider and taller. My buddy just built a place and he went to 9 x 9 regular doors so that his suburban would fit under with the ski cargo container he uses in the winter fits under. The trick is not to have any 8 x 8 next to the 10 x 10. Make all of the doors larger so they do not look oversize.

One other thing. I put drains in my garage floor for all three front stalls. I wash my cars indoors in the winter. Plus I can listen to TV and wash them at night or any hour. One of my favorite things.

When I built my house I put in a stall that is 14' wide by 50' deep. I used a 10 x 10 door. At the time we had a small travel trailer and I coild back it in underneath the 10' height. We got a new trailer that has more ground clearance which is better for dry camping in the Ochoco National Forest. The new trailer just misses fitting under the 10' high door. I wish I would have used a slightly taller door now.

The point is your tastes might change and you will end up with an RV that might need more than 10 x 10.

We sunk the RV stall down so that the 10 x 10 door was the same height as the two 9' wide x 8' tall regular doors.

If you can go wider and taller. My buddy just built a place and he went to 9 x 9 regular doors so that his suburban would fit under with the ski cargo container he uses in the winter fits under. The trick is not to have any 8 x 8 next to the 10 x 10. Make all of the doors larger so they do not look oversize.

One other thing. I put drains in my garage floor for all three front stalls. I wash my cars indoors in the winter. Plus I can listen to TV and wash them at night or any hour. One of my favorite things.

Good advice and I appreciate it. Ive already poured the slab and did put in drains, something I learned when I poured the slab for my RV. I did make the stall for it alot bigger in case I decided later to get a bigger one. Its 40 X 18 X 14' tall.

Real good advice.

I've got floor drains in my garage now and I LOVE them!! Building code does not like them much any more, but you can put all the drainage in place and put a skim coat of concrete over it. Once it is inspected you can chip out the concrete and install the drain.

A note on garage doors.... The track in which the door rides on can vary in height. Check with the door installer and make sure he can get the open door as high as possible. I have an 8' X 18' door and if my installer would not have done all he could to get the open door as high as possible, my VLX with Titan II would not fit without pulling the front wishbone off...

Pat

I think my 23' boat was 9'10" high with the illusion X tower. I would also recommend to get a 12' wide door if at all possible just for wiggle room. The width of my trailer with the guide poles is about 9'6" so unless you've got a real straight shot, the 3" on either side is a little weak. I've never had a garage built, but I'd say go 12 x 12 if you can.

Thanks for all the replies, I guess it confirms what I really already knew but didnt want to come to terms with. I went ahead and ordered the bigger door just to be on the safe side and so it wouldnt be such a pain to back into. I'll just eat the costs for now and be happier with it later.

Good Choice! See there all you newbie/lurkers? Yet another reason why all the GREAT advice on TMC cost$ its members, including myself...lots of money with "must haves" ROFL.gif

Definitely have Shed Envy, btw. Whistling.gif My 23 LSV is stored in a 12x30 with a 10' wide door and 12' tall. I would really enjoy a 12x12, as my Boatmate trailer guides stick out 4-6" wider than the actual boat, therefore, I literally have 6" or less on either side as I enter the door. Always nice to put in storage when fully light outside and fully sober. Whistling.gif

Best of luck and congrats on a great Shed!

Thanks for all the replies, I guess it confirms what I really already knew but didnt want to come to terms with. I went ahead and ordered the bigger door just to be on the safe side and so it wouldnt be such a pain to back into. I'll just eat the costs for now and be happier with it later.
Good Choice! See there all you newbie/lurkers? Yet another reason why all the GREAT advice on TMC cost$ its members, including myself...lots of money with "must haves" ROFL.gif

Definitely have Shed Envy, btw. Whistling.gif My 23 LSV is stored in a 12x30 with a 10' wide door and 12' tall. I would really enjoy a 12x12, as my Boatmate trailer guides stick out 4-6" wider than the actual boat, therefore, I literally have 6" or less on either side as I enter the door. Always nice to put in storage when fully light outside and fully sober. Whistling.gif

Thanks I appreciate it. Im excited to get it built, despite shelling out more for the door. I didnt have much problem convincing my wife about the bigger door, we had to put our last boat in a really tight spot and she remembered all the "fun and lovely words we exchanged" And it was daylight and we were sober LOL

I have three bays, all 10 wide, two 12 high and one 14. I always think it is better to go a little higher if you can swing it. Adding two feet is not complicated but certainly adds cost but if you have the choice, go higher.

martinarcher

Thanks I appreciate it. Im excited to get it built, despite shelling out more for the door. I didnt have much problem convincing my wife about the bigger door, we had to put our last boat in a really tight spot and she remembered all the "fun and lovely words we exchanged" And it was daylight and we were sober LOL

Haha - I remember a few times like that last summer where the wife and I did the same! Nothing like a relaxing time threading the trailer into a tight doorway to end the day. :Doh:

Luckily it has become second nature to me now and I don't need "help". Keeps the tension Blowup.gif down if I can get the boat in the garage myself. Thumbup.gif

6" extra on each side, what a luxury. I have 3+" total to spare for both sides. The 3" orange stripe goes to the back of the garage to help me line it up and back in straight.

100_5264.jpg

Edited by TheBlackPearl

6" extra on each side, what a luxury. I have 3+" total to spare for both sides. The 3" orange stripe goes to the back of the garage to help me line it up and back in straight.

100_5264.jpg

Hey Pearl. We just moved a couple of months ago and found out that the boat is to wide to fit in the single door. So so the new project is to change out the 2 single doors to an extra wide 20 X 9 foot door!!! I can't believe the price difference between an 18' door and a 20' door. $2000 diff!!!!

My boat shed is 10' wide, it's tight. I'd go 12' wide if I had the room.

A wise person told me long ago, that you can't have too big a garage (or too big a garage door in your case).

Over the years, I've learned that wisdom.

My garage was 28' deep when I built it, I felt that was big. After awhile, it wasn't. Then I added 18' to the rear, so it is 46' deep (suburban and boat never have to be unhooked). Now, I wouldn't mind even a few more feet.

Moral: make it bigger than you think it needs.

post-2931-1231082269_thumb.jpgI agree. Man can never have to much garage.

I put a toy box up when we built our place. Whistling.gif

You suck, I want a toy box Cry.gif I just moved into a new house (new to me) that is a two car garage and 23' deep. The Bu fits in straight back and I can even walk behind it Yahoo.gif no more pushing it side ways to fit in.

You suck, I want a toy box Cry.gif I just moved into a new house (new to me) that is a two car garage and 23' deep. The Bu fits in straight back and I can even walk behind it Yahoo.gif no more pushing it side ways to fit in.

You HAVE a MALIBU, it's IN your garage, STRAIGHT in so a car also fits in: Life is good!

Edited by SKI LVR

And for some garage envy:

post-2921-1231096201_thumb.jpg

Edited by SKI LVR

That salt is a killer and I'm sure you hope in the bu more time's during the winter then the wifes car. LOL Plus IIRC she is the one that pushed you into a new Bu. Rockon.gif

Nice set up ski.

Here is a couple pictures and more questions to follow. These were taken before the guys were finished, my other pictures were too blurry for some reason. In the first pic, the 12' X 12' door hasn't been put on yet and the carport sides haven't been added yet. In the second pic, that door is in the back left hand corner. Now to insulate, I have my own ideas how to go about this, but have gotten alot of conflicting information on insulating an all metal building. Anyone done this and how did you do it? Dimensions are 18 wide, 30' Length, 12' sides. I'll be running wiring before I insulate. I put the BU in there today and glad I let yall talk me into that 12 X 12 door Thumbup.gif

NewGarage005.jpg

NewGarage006.jpg