Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Electic Powered

Gibbo

You bet. I would not see any reason it could not be done. I don't know how many pulls be for you would need a charge. If it is a slalom boat you may not want a tone of battery's.

I saw a dragster run mid 8 second run on a bunch of every day nickel cadmium battery's.

P.S. How did you get the name gibbo? My nick name was gibby

Gibbo was short for Gibson.... I wonder how much the electric motor would weigh and how much power (torque) would be needed. As long as the battery and Motor weigh less than my 310 hp motor and Trans I think it could be very interesting!

the motor size itself is much less than a v8 motor, and weight is significantly less. the problem at the moment is battery weight and size. for it to be successful in a ski boat you would need to use a more expensive lithium battery source. for weight and rate of power usage. eg out of the hole, up to 36mph quickly... such a craft currently would only be practically possible on a private ski late setup. you wont need as many batteries as range wont be as big of an issue.

something like this would probably work ok. clicky but Dontknow.gif

http://ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/commen...iscussionID=856

I was reading about converting a DD slalom machine to being powered by an electric motor and batteries. This is very interesting to me for a few reasons, but what do you all think? Is this even remotely possible?? I would love to hear some opinions!

Gibbo

My only problem with the electric boat idea is the same with the current cars now , (1) cost , the batteries for a camry right now is 7000.00 with a life expectency of 5 years, which will also have an effect on resale, (2) emissions , currently built cars cradle to grave are more polluting than a comparable combustion engine model , this is what all available data shows.
(2) emissions , currently built cars cradle to grave are more polluting than a comparable combustion engine model , this is what all available data shows.

i don't hear much discussion about that 800# gorilla (environmental impact of producing and disposing of the batteries).

Battery life is a major problem. I studied these electric cars earlier in the year and the current problem is range. Most of the manufacturers overstate the range of their cars by a factor of 2 to 4 times. Tesla claimed a range of 200 miles on a much smaller motor. Actual range is more like 80 to 100 miles driven conservatively.

Battery development is the key. But so far battery development has been like the cure for cancer or the common cold. The proponents say we're just around the corner but of course they said that 5 years ago.

One of the members of our Porsche club took a 914 and removed the engine. Replaced it with an electric motor and batteries. The 914 has lots of room in front and back for batteries. Zero to 60 in about 4 seconds. Had to replace the suspension, brakes and tires with late model bigger components because of increased weight. Range is about 40-50 miles depending on how heavy his foot is.

Then of course there is the issue of electrocution because the batteries are hooked in series in order to get the voltage up to 240 volts DC which can possibly kill you in the right conditions. Say like, standing in water and having the current run through your chest cavity.

If you want one already built here goes:

http://www.evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=1339

currently built cars cradle to grave are more polluting than a comparable combustion engine model , this is what all available data shows.

the report is called dust to dust. it was done by a marketing firm with questionable data. it suggested that a hummer is less poluting than a prius over its lifetime. this 'fact' has been destroyed many times over but the myth will remain (would love to but i cant find thing to show right now). but yes, 'green' cars are not all their cracked up to be at the moment. as more battery and required facilities for these vehicles develop the green creditentials will improve. But there are many other reasons why we HAVE to move toward hybrid and electric vehicles and simply not the lower CO2 output.

Weight is the key issue here. In order to provide enough power long enough you need quite a few batteries that will add up in weight fast! Not to mention the short charge you will get out of them. You could spend 30 min on the lake and then 4 hours recharging, which would be ok on a private lake.

I think electric motors today have enough power to get out of the hole and maintain 36 mph fairly easily.

What you need to do is take advantage of your available energy sources. The sun and moving water. Throw some solar pannels and maybe some sort of turbine generator that can aid in extending the charge. Solar is definately plausible, the moving water not so much but still possible in theoy.

currently built cars cradle to grave are more polluting than a comparable combustion engine model , this is what all available data shows.

the report is called dust to dust. it was done by a marketing firm with questionable data. it suggested that a hummer is less poluting than a prius over its lifetime. this 'fact' has been destroyed many times over but the myth will remain (would love to but i cant find thing to show right now). but yes, 'green' cars are not all their cracked up to be at the moment. as more battery and required facilities for these vehicles develop the green creditentials will improve. But there are many other reasons why we HAVE to move toward hybrid and electric vehicles and simply not the lower CO2 output.

I am not against moving to help keep the world clean. I spent 30 years of work in the Field just don't think the BULL the people are feed is right ether.

The last thing we need is the politicians leading the way. enough said I don't want to hijack this thread.

Im a car repair and boat dealer my data comes from our training and trade magazine articles, its not just the batteries its all of the electronics that goes on the vehicle for the control of the vehicle plus the safety training of our techs and the fire department. Also there have been several injurys to people working on the vehicles as well as blown gas engines in the vehicles because of the new key systems. As you all probably know the new cars dont have to have the key in the ignition to start, just in the vehicle will allow it to start, so when working on a hybrid for service , say an oil change you need to leave the key on the service desk. The computor is programed to start the gas engine when the battery reaches a specified voltage , which if this occurs while working on the vehicle can be a problem , didnt mean to get off subject but this info could be of value to you out ther.

Edited by FIC
martinarcher

I agree with a lot of what was said here. The electrics available today make it very possible to make an electric boat every bit as fast if not faster out of the hole than a gas boat. The torque and speed of newer brushless motors is incredible. You could turn a larger prop and have better hole shot performance.

Those that said the batteries are the limiting factor are right on. To keep the boat weight where you want it even with lithium batteries, you would have a pretty short day on the lake. I'm not ready to give up my small block yet. Chevy_anim.gif