Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response LXI Redesign

Hydrofoil

Plus1.gif

Ed

Ed, I love that signature man.

And this gel scheme is pretty sweet. I wouldn't mind if they went back to this.......

Thanks GT, that was for you buddy.

Hey! That looks just like my boat! :) You take that photo Bill? You never sent me that one.

Ed

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• ed obermeier

• skisix@38

• Woodski

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've thought about buying a new boat, but since I primarily barefoot the purported spray issues on the 07's took care of that itch. I realize that there aren't a lot of barefooters out there, but from what I've read the slalom skiers aren't thrilled about the new hull either. So.................. I realize the economics (especially now), but count me in as one of those looking forward to a new RLXI hull. In fact, if the dark side came up with something better I would certianly be willing to look.

My 2 cents.

The days of a world class barefoot AND slalom boat are behind us. That's because modern world-class slalom hulls are now able to "rework" the curl, thus reducing its definition. A defined barefoot wake comes from displacing water from the inside out, not what slalom boats are looking to do. Even though the slalom boat market is small, the barefoot-specific market is smaller.

I've thought about buying a new boat, but since I primarily barefoot the purported spray issues on the 07's took care of that itch. I realize that there aren't a lot of barefooters out there, but from what I've read the slalom skiers aren't thrilled about the new hull either. So.................. I realize the economics (especially now), but count me in as one of those looking forward to a new RLXI hull. In fact, if the dark side came up with something better I would certianly be willing to look. My 2 cents.

As a "serious" slalom skier (I didn't say "good", I said "serious") I wouldn't say that I don't like the wake of the newer RLXI's at all. I think it's pretty damn good actually. It's still an awsome pull and wake, argueably the best out there (sorry Nautique fans, I'm not all that impressed - probably equally good but that's it). Personally I just prefer the '03 - 06 version. Apparently I'm not alone in that.

Ed

Edited by ed obermeier

In my opinion the days of 'World Class' slalom boats are behind us too. With all the boat manufacturers building longer, taller, heavier, and deeper boats geared toward family use (meaning wakeboard) the slalom wakes can't be as good as they were when the boats were 800# lighter, 8" to 10" narrower, 2' shorter in length, and 6" to 10" shorter in height.

Got that price in 07 Vin. not 08. I'll just say am a good shopper.

I agree, there were several for me to choose from in the mid-30k range in the fall of 2007. Great deals imho.

In my opinion the days of 'World Class' slalom boats are behind us too. With all the boat manufacturers building longer, taller, heavier, and deeper boats geared toward family use (meaning wakeboard) the slalom wakes can't be as good as they were when the boats were 800# lighter, 8" to 10" narrower, 2' shorter in length, and 6" to 10" shorter in height.

Well considering that all iterations of the rlxi are, without a doubt, a more desirable wake than all non-diamond SV23s, I have to disgaree. A pre-98 echelon or response is shorter, lighter, and narrower, and no way that wake is near as good as any iteration of the rlxi. Many, including me, prefer a rlxi even to a diamond hulled response or lx (post-98). I ski behind all 3 regularly ('95 echelon, rlxi, and CB repsonse)

Well considering that all iterations of the rlxi are, without a doubt, a more desirable wake than all non-diamond SV23s, I have to disgaree. A pre-98 echelon or response is shorter, lighter, and narrower, and no way that wake is near as good as any iteration of the rlxi. Many, including me, prefer a rlxi even to a diamond hulled response or lx (post-98). I ski behind all 3 regularly ('95 echelon, rlxi, and CB repsonse)

Plus1.gif I have the good fortune to get to ski and drive pretty much anything out there at some point. IMHO the '08's I've been in contact with, regardless of brand, are every bit as good as anything from the past (at a minimum), despite their generally larger size. I'm referring specifically to what would be considered to be primarily a slalom boat (196 & 206, 197, rlxi, outback etc). As I don't have access to a small private slalom specific lake the open bow slalom boats of today are perfect for my needs and uses, a smaller closed bow boat wouldn't even interest me. But that's just me and my individual situation.

Ed

Look at the 99 - 04, 05 SSLXI 21'6' family boat. If I close my eyes I don't think you can tell the difference between a RLXI and th SSLXI wake. Oh and it is not weight sensitive Ya it is on the Diamond hull. Same wetted surface but how much more weight?

Look at the 99 - 04, 05 SSLXI 21'6' family boat. If I close my eyes I don't think you can tell the difference between a RLXI and th SSLXI wake. Oh and it is not weight sensitive Ya it is on the Diamond hull. Same wetted surface but how much more weight?

Good point Sixball. I ski with Steve K who is a Crew member here (can't remember his handle) who has a '99 or '00 SSLXI and it's a great wake, pretty close to the RLXI as you stated. Extremely slalom course worthy pull. Thumbup.gif Geez I need a skiing fix...

Ed

Geez I need a skiing fix...

Ed

Me too... :(

Oh come on, Jerry. Baby.gif Quit whining and get a snowmobile. Oh, wait, you probably wouldn't use that either. Tease2.gif

:lol:

The SSLXi is a good skiing boat for the size. I have run numerous 38's behind Addictedto6's SSLxi while doing the NorCal clinics. I prefer it's PULL to the RLXi that was there and the MC190 1:1 that was there. That said, I would rather have my RLXi or any 196. The issue at hand there is that the boat is good enough to run shortline but it's a handful for the driver to that big of a boat to be always in the right spot at the right time. Granted at 38 and 39 I am in the minority and don't make up much of the market but, I still need just the last little bit of help from the boat being where a good driver wants it to be. That's where something more nimble comes into play.