Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Nasty wedge

I took my manual wedge and bracket off the boat yesterday. The finish is totally gone. What refinshing options are out there? I think they were originally annodized and that didn't hold up. My boat is stored in the garage but gets average of 150 hours of run time a year. I was thinking of maybe just painting the transom bracket or maybe Line X product. That won't work on the foil blade so what works there? It has pitting like something is eating it up. Paint holds up pretty good til the pitting takes hold.

Edited by dalt1
powder coat.

Will it hold up? Is that what was original or was it Annodized?

I have my manual 05 wedge off right now I was just going to buff it. Should I buff the whole thing including plate or just where the bracket and arms rub? It is very hard to put up and down that is why I was going to buff the corrosion off it.

Edited by HicVic

When I took my bracket off the transom it has a washer siliconed in the center between the hull and bracket. My guess is to slightly spread the bracket legs as it was tightened down over the washer. That may be an option for tight clearances. Anyone else know why they would put a washer/spacer in there? I still don't know if powdercoat will hold up though. Anyone tried it?

I powder coated the swimstep brackets a few years ago and they still look like they just came from the powder coater.

I wish I had powder coated my wedge and mounting plate before I installed it, oh well, not gonna take it off now.

The wedge and mounting plate are annodized from the factory. I know that SacRiverRat powder coated his wedge,

drop him a line on how it's holding up.

edit: here's some pics.

Edited by Pistol Pete
Polish the arms and brackets, powder coat the plate! Drool.gif I think that would look good and no worries about clearances.

Do you think the polished arms would corrode fast with no protective coating on them? Thats what I am thinking of doing though. I like the idea of powder coating the plate though!!!

Arms seem to be brass. Anyone confrm that?

I agree arms do seem to be brass. Can you anodize brass? If not what kind of coating came on the arms from the factory?

I powder coated the swimstep brackets a few years ago and they still look like they just came from the powder coater.

I wish I had powder coated my wedge and mounting plate before I installed it, oh well, not gonna take it off now.

The wedge and mounting plate are annodized from the factory. I know that SacRiverRat powder coated his wedge,

Not to kipe the thread, but on your pics Pistol Pete, I noticed 2 additional cross blocks (about 8" wide); did you add those for more support?

Also noticed the 2x6s that the swimstep brackets are mounted to; was that from factory or added to keep the platform above water?

Just curious...

What about it SacRiverRat, you watching this thread? How's your powder coat holding?

I had the wedge foil and bracket powder-coated on our old boat along with installing anodes and it last 2 years before it needed to be down again, (boat does sit in the water for 2-3 weeks and old for a week May thur Sept). We have a neighbor that had the entire unit E-coated, bracket , arms and foil. After 3 years it' starting to show some ware. Go Stainless.

Powder coat would probably look good but may not be as abrasive resistant as other options out there. I would look at hard chrome or decorative nickel before I powder coat, the hardness/abrasion and appearance would be better in my opinion. Your going to pay a little more but it will last much longer and if it's done right you won't be doing again for a while!!

What about it SacRiverRat, you watching this thread? How's your powder coat holding?

It is holding up great! Did it a few years back, and don't have any deteriation at all. They blasted the wing (and did platform brackets too) to remove the pitting etc..

**Edit.. crap wrong button.. here is a pic

post-80-1229987118_thumb.jpg

Edited by SacRiverRat

Sac

Is that a recent pic or when it was new coating? It looks good. Looks like you didn't do the transom bracket. I have my bracket off now and welded up the top park hole so I can park my wedge in a higher position right up against the platform. It will lock in about 3.5" higher than stock when I'm done. You ever notice how much water hits it when itis in the up position? I'm looking at chrome or powder coats but haven't got prices yet.

Sac

Is that a recent pic or when it was new coating? It looks good. Looks like you didn't do the transom bracket. I have my bracket off now and welded up the top park hole so I can park my wedge in a higher position right up against the platform. It will lock in about 3.5" higher than stock when I'm done. You ever notice how much water hits it when itis in the up position? I'm looking at chrome or powder coats but haven't got prices yet.

That pic is shortly after it was done... you're right... but it doesn't look any different now. Cleans up great after being in the water (just wipes off), as does the platform brackets.

I didn't do the wedge bracket, becasuse 1) pain in the arse to get it off, since someone has to wrench from the inside too... and didn't want to deal with re-sealing it. And it isn't easy to see. If I would have had it off, I would have done it as well.

I did hit the arms with a fine wire brush on my pnumatic die grinder.. shined them up a little, but it really doesn't make much difference in the long run.

Not to kipe the thread, but on your pics Pistol Pete, I noticed 2 additional cross blocks (about 8" wide); did you add those for more support?

Also noticed the 2x6s that the swimstep brackets are mounted to; was that from factory or added to keep the platform above water?

Just curious...

Yes sir,

I added the extra wood under the swim platform brackets a long time ago to keep the swim platform out of the water. It drove me nuts when someone was back there putting on their board and a roller came along, lifted their board off the partially sunken swim platform and would bang against the transome. I'm very glad I did it. I know it doesn't look that sexy.

The additional braces I just did at the beginning of this season for a weakness problem I was having. read this thread.

Sac

That pic is shortly after it was done... you're right... but it doesn't look any different now. Cleans up great after being in the water (just wipes off), as does the platform brackets.

I didn't do the wedge bracket, becasuse 1) pain in the arse to get it off, since someone has to wrench from the inside too... and didn't want to deal with re-sealing it. And it isn't easy to see. If I would have had it off, I would have done it as well.

I did hit the arms with a fine wire brush on my pnumatic die grinder.. shined them up a little, but it really doesn't make much difference in the long run.

Thanks for the reply Sac.