Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking to Buy a New Malibu

Taz

First, I am new to Malibu Crew and need some help. I am interested in buying a new 2008 Wakesetter, 23LSV and I need some help. First, I would be interested in any guidance on what type of price I should expect. I recognize that the price is contingent on all of the upgrades, so really just looking for some general guidance on a boat with the basics (i.e., power wedge, walk-over transom, 340 engine, etc.) I have not been able to find a lot of information on price and when working with the dealer, I want to ensure that I am getting a fair deal. Also, I live in NorCal so if there are any recommended dealers, please let me know as well. Thanks and I look forward to joining everyone on this site with a sweet new boat!

Welcome.gif

First of all, welcome to one of the most friendly and informative sites you will find on the web! This place has COST me a ton of $$$ for all the "must have's" and great advice ROFL.gifThumbup.gif

You can prop a 340 down to get the job done, but the majority of people go with the 400HP Hammerhead.

As for actual price you might pay...that depends. There are a lot of dealers on this site and so PRICE PAID tends to be a touchy subject, but for good reason as every situation is quite different. I would say on a 2008, you should be able to get 15% off MSRP as a starter, but ICBW Dontknow.gif

Here are some links for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8109

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....showtopic=17549

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....showtopic=16795

That should keep you busy for a while. Whistling.gif

I paid 61k with all the options. Dont get soundpack 3. The Rockford Fosgate setup it comes with is ABSOLUTE GARBAGE. Only problem I ever had with my boat was the sound system it came with. Save your money there and save yourself the headache.

I'll probably get flamed for even suggesting this but, since Cope & McPhetres is going out of business you could probably pick up a new 23 LSV from them for a smoking price Blowup.gif It might be worth looking into unless you're dead set on ordering your new Bu and customizing it to your desire.

I paid 61k with all the options. Dont get soundpack 3. The Rockford Fosgate setup it comes with is ABSOLUTE GARBAGE. Only problem I ever had with my boat was the sound system it came with. Save your money there and save yourself the headache.

Is the sound system really that awful?

I got our 08 VLX with that exact package and I have a queezy feeling in my stomach now.

We bought the boat in October, so it hasnt even been on the water yet except for the test drive.

Yikes!

JM

Edited by Olivertuft

I got our 08 VLX with that exact package and I have a queezy feeling in my stomach now.

We bought the boat in October, so it hasnt even been on the water yet except for the test drive.

Yikes!

JM

The sound system is garbage. You will get a hiss you cant get rid off, in my case I had awful engine noise when I took deliver, and that issue was never resolved. The setup is not marine grade, so once the speakers get wet, you will notice the discoloration and the little screws on the grills will start to rust. Your iPod connection doesnt work with the newer ipods, only works with the OLD OLD models. The MUX pads frequently get stuck, and need to be replaced as it goes. Did I mention you cant mute the music when you have to turn around to pick up the rider?

I am not a die hard stereo guy by any stretch of the imagination, but it didnt take me long at all to hate my setup. I gutted everything except the head unit, and added wetsounds and a JL 12W7 subwoofer.

The boat is an awesome boat. Its a damn shame Malibu chose to use Rockford Fosgate as thier vendor for the stereo setup.

I'll probably get flamed for even suggesting this but, since Cope & McPhetres is going out of business you could probably pick up a new 23 LSV from them for a smoking price Blowup.gif It might be worth looking into unless you're dead set on ordering your new Bu and customizing it to your desire.

Nothing wrong with saying that. Thats a great idea!

Great choice on boats :) We love our 23 LSV, its very roomy, holds lots of people and very nice. We went with the 340 monsoon and it has plenty of power until you load the boat down with people, ballast and the wedge. Im going to prop down to compensate for that, but have been very happy with the power it has otherwise. We dont always have a boat load so I think the 340 is just fine and we didnt have to pay alot of extra money for the upgraded motor. Masterdinh is right about the stereo, a shame we spent so much on it for how it sounds. If you arent a big stereo person, it should be fine, but for what we paid for it, if I had to do it over again, I would have gotten our boat without a sound package. Ive already upgraded the tower speakers and amp, and will be upgrading the rest of it after christmas. With the way things are in the economy, I would think you could get at least 20% off MSRP. Happy hunting and be sure and post pics after you buy your new BU :)

We bought the hammerhead with ours, I wouldn't get the monsoon personally. The HH and monsoon have pretty similar gas milages. But that also depends on what you're doing with it.

We personally don't have any problems with the stereo 3 hissing. We did have 2 speakers go on us, but they were replaced by the dealership no questions asked. I will admin that I do not like the stereo head unit. And ipods don't work. You can use the Aux jack though, and it works fine.

Overall, we love the 23 footer. Lots of room and lots of power, great wake. It's one solid boat.

We got about 19% off MSRP on our boat.

Edited by CrazyTegger

You will not be disappointed with the 23...we have a 2006 with the Hammerhead and are very pleased with power and performance...we changed the prop this year and lost a little on the top end but out of the hole it is amazing the difference...When we bought ours with all the bells and whistles we were at about 19% off MSRP...we did a stereo upgrade not through the factory and are very pleased with the system. We bought ours through Ultimate in Rancho Cordova...liked our sales guy as very laid back and easy to work with, but sounds like they may be going away with the Cope BK.

Yikes!

JM

I have an 08 VLX with the Sound Pack 3 and love it. I also get nothing but compliments from friends that own brand x boats. My only complaint is the iPod compatibity issues with the JBL headunit. I am not sure who these people are that bag on the stock Rockford Fosgate system but you must all work at stereo shops and it must be a status thing.

I have an 08 VLX with the Sound Pack 3 and love it. I also get nothing but compliments from friends that own brand x boats. My only complaint is the iPod compatibity issues with the JBL headunit. I am not sure who these people are that bag on the stock Rockford Fosgate system but you must all work at stereo shops and it must be a status thing.

Even though you didnt quote me, Im one who "bagged" the RF system. I didnt think I was bagging it, nor do I work in an Audio place or have ever worked in one. I just thought for the money I paid for it that it should work and sound alot better than it did. I also have the ipod issues, I had the hissing issues, that I fixed myself with better wiring and moving the RCA cables. I couldnt hear the tower speakers @ 70' and had to have my black box and cd changer replaced because they didnt work. All Im saying is I could have saved the money I spent on it and got a system I would have been happy with. As for the rest of the boat, Im very happy with it and glad I got a 23 LSV.

Yea... seriously. For the price they charge for sound pack 3 is ridiculous compared to the quality of sound that you get. For that kind of money, the system that comes with the boat should knock. You dont have to work at a stereo shop to realize that.

Welcome to the site. THere is a wealth of no nonsense knowledge on this site. It was invaluable when we were shopping for a new boat.

We bought ours from Boat Country at 1433 E. Main Street in Escalon, CA 95320 (209) 838-2628. We dealt with Brent Lemcke and the owner, who's name I have since forgotten. Its a bit of a drive, but they took the trade-in for our 2-stroke Malibu FlightCraft. No other dealer would touch it. Now is definitely the right time to negotiate on boats & RV's. The credit markets are very tight and most boat manufacturers are slowing or closing manufacturing operations for a short while this winter.

As far as boat option ideas, I would definitely opt for the HammerHead. Its a great engine and has not given us one bit of trouble in 4 seasons. I also like the heater for early morning trips (and anytime at Tahoe) and PerfectPass.

Yikes!

JM

Straight up, for the price of sound pack 3, its garbage. Has nothing to do with status. When I bought sound pack 3 I was just as excited as you were, and I got sold a bill of goods from the dealer. All you gotta do is listen to a soundpack 3 setup, then listen to a wetsounds or JL setup. I will admit part of my discomfort with the sound pack 3 comes from the dealers inability to resolve my constant hissing and engine noise. Now that I replaced everything, its a WORLD of difference. If I could have done it again, like most, I would have never got the sound pack 3.

As for the iPod connection issue. That is an issue on everyones boat, Malibu hasnt done much to resolve it. Thats unbelievable.

Edited by masterdinh

With regard to the stock stereo packages....

iPod issues aside, I have to wonder if it's the installation that is the problem & not the hardware. So many issues with the stock stereos appear to be fixable through a variety of methods, some of which have been mentioned in this thread. Now, you're hearing this from someone that has never purchased a stock stereo pack, & probably never will. But it just seems a little presumptuous to call the entire system garbage when most problems seem like they can be fixed through better installation & tuning techniques (I'd be shocked if these systems were properly tuned from the factory). Just an observation, flame away if you like.

Taz,

Not sure how far north you are, but Oasis up in Redding is a good shop & will treat you right. Boat Country also gets high marks around here, & as mentioned you could probably pick up a good deal on a closeout from one of the Cope's or UWS shops. Good luck, & keep us posted!

iPod issues aside, I have to wonder if it's the installation that is the problem & not the hardware. So many issues with the stock stereos appear to be fixable through a variety of methods, some of which have been mentioned in this thread. Now, you're hearing this from someone that has never purchased a stock stereo pack, & probably never will. But it just seems a little presumptuous to call the entire system garbage when most problems seem like they can be fixed through better installation & tuning techniques (I'd be shocked if these systems were properly tuned from the factory). Just an observation, flame away if you like.

Taz,

Not sure how far north you are, but Oasis up in Redding is a good shop & will treat you right. Boat Country also gets high marks around here, & as mentioned you could probably pick up a good deal on a closeout from one of the Cope's or UWS shops. Good luck, & keep us posted!

I'll agree that the system wasnt tuned very well. I spent better than 2 hours tuning it and then another 2 or 3 hours cleaning up the wiring mess. I did get rid of the hissing and the loud thump when I turned the system on, but still wasnt happy with the output that the tower speakers had. We had it cranked way up and could barely hear it at 70'. Ive also notice some small rust showing in my bow speakers already and figure its just a matter of time before the rest show it. Not flaming you in any way WG, I just see it as Malibu could have chosen a much better system for what they charged for it. I didnt know any better before I bought, or I would have just went with no stereo at all and put what I wanted in it. Live and learn I suppose :)

Taz,

I'll agree that the system wasnt tuned very well. I spent better than 2 hours tuning it and then another 2 or 3 hours cleaning up the wiring mess. I did get rid of the hissing and the loud thump when I turned the system on, but still wasnt happy with the output that the tower speakers had. We had it cranked way up and could barely hear it at 70'. Ive also notice some small rust showing in my bow speakers already and figure its just a matter of time before the rest show it. Not flaming you in any way WG, I just see it as Malibu could have chosen a much better system for what they charged for it. I didnt know any better before I bought, or I would have just went with no stereo at all and put what I wanted in it. Live and learn I suppose :)

How did you get rid of the thump when you turn the system on?

First, I am new to Malibu Crew and need some help. I am interested in buying a new 2008 Wakesetter, 23LSV and I need some help. First, I would be interested in any guidance on what type of price I should expect. I recognize that the price is contingent on all of the upgrades, so really just looking for some general guidance on a boat with the basics (i.e., power wedge, walk-over transom, 340 engine, etc.) I have not been able to find a lot of information on price and when working with the dealer, I want to ensure that I am getting a fair deal. Also, I live in NorCal so if there are any recommended dealers, please let me know as well. Thanks and I look forward to joining everyone on this site with a sweet new boat!

Definately checkout Oasis (Redding) or Boat Country (Escalon) both are great outfits and will treat you well.