Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

WSM Boat Buyers Guide

88Skier

Anyone receive WSM BBG? Mine came yesterday. They went back to the strictly advertising format. Really disappointing.

Beyond disappointing. How many trees died for that piece of junk. The virtual test dives on the web are just as bad.

Lame.gifLame.gifLame.gif

Been that way for quite a few years now. WSM generates a significant income off the boat companies who put their boats into the BBG (something like $10K per boat "tested") and they won't even approach doing any sort of realistic comparisons that might potentially piss any of them off. Thus no real comparisons, just advertising fluff. Same old same old.

Ed

I noticed a few companies weren't event listed in the mag, Tige' for one.

A couple years back Nautique refused to participate in the buyers guide preferring to 'let the buyer evaluate the boat'............

Is it any coincidence that WSM buyer's guide has turned into a collection of manufacturer's sales brochures???? Hmmm Dontknow.gif

I also find it interesting that in "Waterski Magazine" 95% of the boats are for wakeboarding and they are touting the optimized wakeboard wake. Shouldn't that be in Wakeboarding Magazine?

At least Malibu shows suggested retail prices on the boats, most of the other manufacturers just say "see dealer"... pretty lame.

I also find it interesting that in "Waterski Magazine" 95% of the boats are for wakeboarding and they are touting the optimized wakeboard wake. Shouldn't that be in Wakeboarding Magazine?

At least Malibu shows suggested retail prices on the boats, most of the other manufacturers just say "see dealer"... pretty lame.

I told them after the 2008 issue I would not renew my subscription. The 2009 issue just re-affirmed my opinion. :unsure:

I told them after the 2008 issue I would not renew my subscription. The 2009 issue just re-affirmed my opinion. :unsure:

Plus1.gif

Same here! Oh wait, the year was 1997.

bbg was THE reason i purchased the 99 sportster; my first towboat.

i labored over the opinions and comparisons that were offered back in 'the good old days'.

i never had a doubt that the wakes were exactly what i was in search of (in my price range).

it's a shame that the only content of interest was spiked for the advertising $$.

i'm sure that is a tough choice to make but how much will they make on advertising when their circulation hits the spike, too?

When I saw mine on the counter I thought "great a new WSM but immediately noticed how thin it was" I haven't even opened it and doubt I'll ever take the time to. There isn't a boat out there that even comes close to getting my interest. Maybe a skier has to get let down enough times for him to become open to the club boat concept- the tractor at the lake that you just put gas in and get pulled behind....

I agree that it has gotten pretty lame. In the past, I have read it closely when I am interested in buying a new boat. In the years in between boat purchases, I usually don't do much more than flip through it once. I usually do check out all the direct drive boats, but that seems to take a lot less time than it used to.

I have relics where each boat got 2 pages of coverage, every single ljne length was tested, drivability, towing performance were also rated, and even barefooting got reviewed extensively for the best line length, table, and curl. Now I didn't even see the word barefooting even printed in any of the reviews. It's also major annoying to have pictures of a boat that wasn't even the test boat! While I will always subscribe to WS mag, the guide is useless.

Same here! Oh wait, the year was 1997.

2001 here.

bbg was THE reason i purchased the 99 sportster; my first towboat.

i labored over the opinions and comparisons that were offered back in 'the good old days'.

I put some stock into the '04 BBG when I went to the Detroit Boat Show looking at what the "big three" were offering. Ultimately it came down to price. Knowing back then what I know now, I would have bought a promo.

When I saw mine on the counter I thought "great a new WSM but immediately noticed how thin it was" I haven't even opened it and doubt I'll ever take the time to. There isn't a boat out there that even comes close to getting my interest. Maybe a skier has to get let down enough times for him to become open to the club boat concept- the tractor at the lake that you just put gas in and get pulled behind....

Same here. I saw Waterski Magazine in the mailbox and I said the usual "oh yes" . Then I noticed the cover said "Boat Buyers Guide" and I too noticed how thin it was. I then knew there was going to be a serious problem.

I think I may "make do" with my non-dbw, outdated perfect pass, 04 RLXI for another year.

Biggrin.gifBiggrin.gifBiggrin.gif