Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering Cable to Rudder Connection

Crew,

I am trying to correctly connect my steering cable to my rudder. It came disconnected earlier this summer and I am pretty sure it was never reconnected correctly.

Right now I have the connection bolt and brass nut. It seems to me I need another nut and maybe a lock washer. Could someone send me a pic or explain to me how this should look? Thanks.

Ryan

Crew,

I am trying to correctly connect my steering cable to my rudder. It came disconnected earlier this summer and I am pretty sure it was never reconnected correctly.

Right now I have the connection bolt and brass nut. It seems to me I need another nut and maybe a lock washer. Could someone send me a pic or explain to me how this should look? Thanks.

Ryan

I'm in the middle of replacing my steering cable and I'm hoping to finish tomorrow. If nobody replies before tomorrow I'll get a picture for you.

Just working off of memory (going from top to bottom), the bolt goes down through the rudder arm, then there is a spacer nut on the bottom side of the arm, then the steering cable, then a washer and nut.

I don't think there is any lock washer. From what I remember from changing my steering cable in the spring, is that the bottom washer is nylock. It is not tightened all the way down (or up in this case) because the steering cable needs to be able to pivot. on the bolt.

Ryan,

On my 99 Response, short end of double ended bolt goes up thru tiller, larger nut on top (9/16" wrench) & tight. End of steering cable on from bottom up. Nylon washer next. Then nut. Both nuts should have nylon locking inserts. The nylon washer & missing nut should be in boat somewhere. If not, stainless steel with insert is pretty common if you cant find one in brass. Lowes, Home Dept & some hardware stores carry nylon washers.

So as far as washers are concerned, am I correct that there is only one, below the steering cable and between the steering cable bottom and brass nut?

Is there any reason why there isn't a washer between the top of the tiller and the nut?

Thanks everyone for the help so far...