Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

cleaning boat cover

I had mine dry cleaned looks brandnew again :)

How much was that bill? This seems like a good not intrusive way. Also, lazy way, drop off and pick up. (great Idea!!)

I just washed my cover the other day at the only laundry mat that I know has a large enough machine. It was a Maytag Commercial 8 load washer that I've been using. It stands almost 5' tall by about 3' wide by about 4' deep. It cost $6.75 per load. I ran the boat cover in it once using woolite dark, then did a second wash after pulling the cover out and re-inserting it and ran it with no soap and it came out looking almost new. You gotta realize, I'm using the factory Westland cover that came with the boat and it's knocking on 8 years old being stored outside all it's life.

Pete,

I am just about ready to do the same thing that you did. 3 yr old Westland cover and woolite. What settings did you use, hot or cold water, and how much woolite?

I was looking at a page from the Sunbrella site and they recommend a similar process.

I've used a "triple load" washer at a large laundry mat. As stated earlier, some of the large laundry mats have washers this size. (me and Chrissy could fit inside one) Anyway, when I do mine, I run the washer with no soap in cold water. When it's done, I pull the cover out, turn it "inside out" and wash it again with no soap. It's sort of like washing a sleeping bag and the size of it makes it tend to ball-up inside the washer, that's why I pull it out and do it again.

I'd put in a half a cup of woolite on the first wash. All settings on cold and gentle wash.

Then, do it again after you "flip" the cover around. This time, no soap.

I've used a "triple load" washer at a large laundry mat. As stated earlier, some of the large laundry mats have washers this size. (me and Chrissy could fit inside one) Anyway, when I do mine, I run the washer with no soap in cold water. When it's done, I pull the cover out, turn it "inside out" and wash it again with no soap. It's sort of like washing a sleeping bag and the size of it makes it tend to ball-up inside the washer, that's why I pull it out and do it again.

I'd put in a half a cup of woolite on the first wash. All settings on cold and gentle wash.

Then, do it again after you "flip" the cover around. This time, no soap.

Sounds like a winner. I'll give it a shot this weekend and finish off the last of my winter storage projects. thanks!