Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Question about lowering the tower on an 09 VTX

Malibusteve

I ordered my 09 VTX with the Illusion X tower not the Illusion XS tower. I noticed that when I lower it, it does not go all the way down to rest on the dash. Did Malibu put some type of stopping mechanism on the inside of the tower mount that prevents it from resting on the dash? My 2007 Illusion X tower went all the way down and rested on the dash. No problem for me, just curious.

I ordered my 09 VTX with the Illusion X tower not the Illusion XS tower. I noticed that when I lower it, it does not go all the way down to rest on the dash. Did Malibu put some type of stopping mechanism on the inside of the tower mount that prevents it from resting on the dash? My 2007 Illusion X tower went all the way down and rested on the dash. No problem for me, just curious.

my 06 rests above the dash. I'm guessing that your 07 is missing something that allows it to go too far.

my 06 rests above the dash. I'm guessing that your 07 is missing something that allows it to go too far.

My 07 Vtx tower also rests on the dash when folded down.

Mine also sits on the edge of the dash, when I asked about this at the service dept. the comment was that they made them that way so they didn't hit the windshield or drop onto the steering wheel. I'm not sure if that is the correct answer but it was good enough for me. It would have been nice if Malibu would have made some kind of adjustable stand that rested on the floor to hold up the tower and given them out as Xmas presents :)

I think he is saying they ADDED something to prevent it from hitting the dash... guessing it stops an inch or two above the dash.. I would personally LOVE this. I always put a foam block on my dash so that the tower doesn't rub a spot on the dash where they touch.

I think he is saying they ADDED something to prevent it from hitting the dash... guessing it stops an inch or two above the dash.. I would personally LOVE this. I always put a foam block on my dash so that the tower doesn't rub a spot on the dash where they touch.

Yes, I'm thinking they put some sort of stopping mechanism or something inside the tower mount or in the gunnels that prevents it from going down as far as they did in the past. I lower my tower every time I use the boat, but as soon as I get the boat backed under my shed, I raise it up and tie it off so that I can get my cover on. My tower never "rested" on the dash on my 07, but it would have had I stored it that way. Again, I was just curious. Is it obvious that I'm bored?

After further thought, if there is such a "stopping mechanism" it would be kinda cool if the stopping point was adjustable. In other words, you could set it up so that the tower only lowers to the height that you need. That way, if your garage door height was only slightly too low, you could lower it based on your preset lowered height position and then when you got it in the garage/shed whatever, you could still possible move around in the boat, cover it more easily etc.

Also, how much longer before Malibu, MC, CC comes up with a hydraulically/electrically lowered tower, with a bow/transom remote switch?