Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurf Wake?

sheeprides

Never wakesurfed before but it looks like a hell of a lot of fun. Is it possible to get a decent wakesurf wake out of my DD or do I need to pony up for a new VLX?

Never wakesurfed before but it looks like a hell of a lot of fun. Is it possible to get a decent wakesurf wake out of my DD or do I need to pony up for a new VLX?

We surf behind ours a lot. We've got 300 under the seat (custom base) & then optimal is to place a 500 lb bag on the seat laying up over the trunk (if you do it right it won't roll around or out). Then pile as many people as you can get (okay you'll be limited on space at that point but do your best) on that side of the boat. We don't typically put any ballast in the center MLS - not for the wake, but to keep the nose up when turning around. It produces a respectable wake. I do think that it would benefit from another bag on the side next to the engine box, but I haven't tried it so I can't be totally sure, just pretty sure. :)

With that said, surfing is one reason that we anted up for the VLX. :lol:

We've got 300 under the seat (custom base)

Tracie, I remember seeing a pic of your setup long ago (possibly on MBO?) and I know there's been some talk of a tech article by you. Can you post those pics again, I know it's a clean install and I'd like to get some ideas for my boat.

John

On our SSLXi we use the wedge and one 500lb. sack in front of the rear seat and then everyone on one side and it throws out a pretty good wake. Nothing compared to a WLSV but it works and you can go without the rope. We are going to buy another 500lb sack which should help out a lot

Edited by jetskipro550
We've got 300 under the seat (custom base)

Tracie, I remember seeing a pic of your setup long ago (possibly on MBO?) and I know there's been some talk of a tech article by you. Can you post those pics again, I know it's a clean install and I'd like to get some ideas for my boat.

John

No problem. I really should just write up the article, but part of the problem is that I didn't take pictures throughout the project so it may be a little difficult to explain some of the steps. We'll see though. In the first picture it's hard to see, but there are 2 holes in the left side of the box. The top one has a tube coming into the box for the fill line & there is a hole directly underneath it for the empty line with a pump directly on the other side of the wall (keeps it primed with it that close). The empty line has a loop in it to keep it from draining, then goes up to the thru-hull that we drilled next to the other 2 (bilge & center MLS) up near the center point of the boat. In the picture of the wake, it's hard to guage the size without a rider on it, but it's very good all things considered. That was with the bag & rear full, & IIRC the center about half full.

post-1-1123343469_thumb.jpg

post-1-1123343651_thumb.jpg

post-1-1123343662_thumb.jpg

On our SSLXi we use the wedge and one 500lb. sack in front of the rear seat and then everyone on one side and it throws out a pretty good wake. Nothing compared to a WLSV but it works and you can go without the rope. We are going to buy another 500lb sack which should help out a lot

It's good to see someone surfing on the 5' skimskate, I had begun to think that it couldn't be done Biggrin.gif

Three things:

- What lake is that in the picture?

- We need more pics of your LXi Classic! Looks like a sweet ride.

- Which sack did you go with and where will you place the new 500?

Thanks,

Mike

Not to be prude but that set up would be near maxing out the weight capacity in a SLXi w/o passengers. I can't remember the weight cap. but I think it is around 1500 lbs. Is all of this weight safe? I recently got to surf for the first time behind a VDrive and it was pretty cool. I would love to surf behind my boat but not if it means loading it up over its rated capacity.

We surf behind our response with just the wedge and people. Usually 7 to 9 people our best. We surf without the rope, just takes a little practice.

Here is how we set up our SSLXI for surfing. MLS full in ski locker, wedge down,

275 lbs sac behind the motor on the floor, 275 lbs sac beside the motor. The sweet

spot is not very big with this setup and a little harder for newbies to go without the

rope. When we add 4 adults to the weighted side the sweet spot is about 4x longer

and way more fun to surf.

We surf behind our DD Sunsetter (Diamond Hull) 23 XTI on a Broadcast 5'6". The first time out no one could ride without the handle (Only the wedge and 4-5 people in the boat). The second time out my wife (120lbs) was able to drop the handle (still only the wedge and 4-5 adults in the boat). The third time out I found two more friends :-) and was able to drop the handle without a problem. The sheer size of our boat makes it a bit challenging to sink it into the water and produce a larger wake but if I ever decide to start buying fat sacs, etc. to weigh the boat down I have NO doubt we could generate quite a nice wake.

Jeff/AirChair1

Three things:

- What lake is that in the picture?

- We need more pics of your LXi Classic! Looks like a sweet ride.

- Which sack did you go with and where will you place the new 500?

Thanks,

Mike

-Detroit Lake

-I have some in my gallery but I will add more when I get back from Lake Billy this weekend Biggrin.gif

-Its a straight line 540lb. sack and its right behind the engine. The new sack will go on the side of the engine.

Not to be prude but that set up would be near maxing out the weight capacity in a SLXi w/o passengers.  I can't remember the weight cap. but I think it is around 1500 lbs.  Is all of this weight safe?  I recently got to surf for the first time behind a VDrive and  it was pretty cool.  I would love to surf behind my boat but not if it means loading it up over its rated capacity.

Don't worry they can handle that much weight. We have had 2 540lb sacks on each side of the engine and other 540 in the ski locker, the wedge, and 8 people and it did just fine. The weight capacities are a bunch of BS IMO

In my friends VLX we had 4 540lb sacks, 14 people, and a 100 quart cooler straped on the swim platform.

Not to be prude but that set up would be near maxing out the weight capacity in a SLXi w/o passengers.  I can't remember the weight cap. but I think it is around 1500 lbs.  Is all of this weight safe?  I recently got to surf for the first time behind a VDrive and  it was pretty cool.  I would love to surf behind my boat but not if it means loading it up over its rated capacity.

Don't worry they can handle that much weight. We have had 2 540lb sacks on each side of the engine and other 540 in the ski locker, the wedge, and 8 people and it did just fine. The weight capacities are a bunch of BS IMO

In my friends VLX we had 4 540lb sacks, 14 people, and a 100 quart cooler straped on the swim platform.

NICE! my buddy had 3 500's, 3 200's, 6 people, and a 30 qt. ice chest on his swim platform on his ps190. ridiculous.

Edited by madchild

I love it! The ice chest just tops it off. We were at lake shasta the first time we ever used a cooler and we took the big ice chest off the front of our house boat (the trip was almost over) and filled it with water and then straped it on with some tie downs. It was totally white trash, but highly entertaining Crazy.gif